2020 headliners

jj200

On 4/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, fernandomassuy said:

Fri: Elton John

Sat: Paul McCartney

Sun: Led Zeppelin (special 150minute set)

50th anniversary, if there are going to be outrageous predictions made next year is the time!

None of these would surprise me in a Glasto 50th year especially elton or macca, but 3 of them together or even 2 of them on the same bill as headliners seems very unlike Glasto

2 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Friday: Blur, Skepta

Saturday: Lady Gaga, The 1975

Sunday: Elton John, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

Legend: Diana Ross.

Case closed.

Would be happy with all of that except Gaga. She shouldn't be headling a back yard barbeque let alone the world's greatest party. I don't mind the 1975 but that's not a great Saturday night choice.

Blur, Elton and Diana Ross on the other hand would be absolutely spectacular.

A lot of people seem to think that Fleetwood Mac are one of the favourites to headline but didn't they "fire" Lindsay Buckingham recently? Would Michael and Emily be so keen to pay, what surely will be, one of the highest figures to a headliner to a band that doesn't feature two of the three vocalists? 

I wouldn't pay £100+ for a ticket to see this version of Fleetwood Mac; it's not Fleetwood Mac. You might argue that your average punter wouldn't care about a line up change, but when the songs don't sound the same and some of the big hits aren't played they will.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, t0paz said:

We need another year of Daft Punk speculation. 2017 was a good vintage :) 

Sadly I think tinnitus rules them out from ever playing 

YES, YES, YES.

Blur on the Friday, Daft Punk on the Saturday and Elton to close. People would talk abuot that for decades to come.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Personally, I'd have Elton opening the bandstand, at best. 

Check out this for a shitshow. Best he can do.

The Bitch is Back, I'm Still Standing, Crocodile Rock and Saturday Nights Alright in a row. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elton-john/2019/o2-arena-prague-czech-republic-3390fcb5.html

Fucking hell no. 

Where's Circle Of Life, Elton? Get your head in the game man for the love of God.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I don't know about that.

It draws the biggest crowd of the weekend usually, it's had some stellar acts on before (and Rolf Harris) and they could give him a longer slot than normal if necessary. It's basically the fourth headline slot now, isn't it?

I would say if he's retiring it would be an excellent box for him to tick, especially on the 50th anniversary.

Do you reckon Paul McCartney would play it?

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Do you reckon Paul McCartney would play it?

I don't know who would and who wouldn't. I guess that's down to ego and how important it is to them to have their name in the biggest letters on the poster, although this is I suspect why the poster has been redesigned with longer rows. You'll notice KYLIE is the same size as the headliners (and if you're Janet Jackson you can just put yourself 1st as well).

Everybody who knows the situation knows how big the legends slot is, not just in terms of crowd size but in terms of BBC coverage. When I talk to people who don't go to the festival the number 1 question is "Did you see Dolly Parton/Lionel Richie/Shirley Basset" etc. But I'm not going to try to guess whether Elton or McCartney would be having any of it.

30 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I don't know who would and who wouldn't. I guess that's down to ego and how important it is to them to have their name in the biggest letters on the poster, although this is I suspect why the poster has been redesigned with longer rows. You'll notice KYLIE is the same size as the headliners (and if you're Janet Jackson you can just put yourself 1st as well).

Everybody who knows the situation knows how big the legends slot is, not just in terms of crowd size but in terms of BBC coverage. When I talk to people who don't go to the festival the number 1 question is "Did you see Dolly Parton/Lionel Richie/Shirley Basset" etc. But I'm not going to try to guess whether Elton or McCartney would be having any of it.

The slot is as big as a headline slot and has as much, if not more hype about it but it’s not cos the acts are interchangeable. I’m not saying the acts are novelty but the slot itself is something of a novelty gig and that’s why people largely flock to it - not cos it’s singers worthy of closing the show. It’s the egg and spoon race at a sports day, and Elton’s still a sprinter.

• Upvote 3

I do think Emily would prefer to have at least one female headliner after the male-dominated Pyramid this time, and unfortunately there's not too many of them: Taylor S, Gaga, Madonna, Adele, Beyonce, Florence?

Out of those I think only Florence is realistic.

18 hours ago, Matt87 said:

A lot of people seem to think that Fleetwood Mac are one of the favourites to headline but didn't they "fire" Lindsay Buckingham recently? Would Michael and Emily be so keen to pay, what surely will be, one of the highest figures to a headliner to a band that doesn't feature two of the three vocalists? 

I wouldn't pay £100+ for a ticket to see this version of Fleetwood Mac; it's not Fleetwood Mac. You might argue that your average punter wouldn't care about a line up change, but when the songs don't sound the same and some of the big hits aren't played they will. 

who is the other vocalist that they're missing? Christine and Stevie are still there...

and what big hits are they not playing? because the current setlist is almost identical to the one they had when Lindsey was with them. Big Love is the only noticeable difference, all the rest of the hits are still there...

now:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2019/td-garden-boston-ma-6b93924a.html

2015:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2015/mount-smart-stadium-auckland-new-zealand-5bf55b28.html

2 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

who is the other vocalist that they're missing? Christine and Stevie are still there...

and what big hits are they not playing? because the current setlist is almost identical to the one they had when Lindsey was with them. Big Love is the only noticeable difference, all the rest of the hits are still there...

now:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2019/td-garden-boston-ma-6b93924a.html

2015:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/fleetwood-mac/2015/mount-smart-stadium-auckland-new-zealand-5bf55b28.html

Ah, I didn't know Christine was back! That certainly changes things. 

Although, it seems they've dropped the following from the latest shows:

Never Going Back

Big Love (as you say)

Tusk

Think About Me

I would be sad to not hear some of those, but looks like they've added some Peter Green era stuff instead, so perhaps it balances out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to bring up 2020 in the midst of the build up for this year but I went to see Rocketman tonight and Elton has to play and he has to headline. He has a mountain load of a back catalogue, could easily be the legend but a headline spot to retire on would be the best send off for him.