2020 headliners

jj200

If they booked 2 acts, 2 years ago, and we assume the one they hadn't is Taylor...Who would we have to fill the upcoming British band. The 1975 and Foals who we all think are the front runners for that position wouldn't of been booked 2 years ago...or are we just not getting an upcoming British band?

32 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kasabian’s least successful album has sold better than The 1975’s most recent one, iirc. They might not be cutting edge but they’re still a top tier band.

The 1975 are bigger than the other two now but each of Biffy and Mumfords had a peak when they were headlining all sorts of major UK fests, the ones peeps are patting 75 on the back for headlining one of.

Biffy were a big band in the UK, I didn’t imagine it lmao.

Aren’t The 1975 only a major headliner in this country?

The1975 headlined Sziget this year. They declared it their best concert ever. Much to my surprise, they were actually pretty good.

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

The rumour started with a guy on here claiming to know someone working on a fleetwood mac biography that isnt due out till xmas time next year iirc. It later got bastardised when someone later made an ambiguous comment ("Its being printed in their book" or something) and people ran with it being the Glasto book.

I dont think we've ever had anyone come on claiming to know about the Glasto book

I'm pretty sure I've seen people claiming to know people in publishing making the claim about the Glasto book, and that it happened before the FM book claim because I remember having that thought when I saw that post.

Either way - If they're claiming that a FM book due to be published in December 2020 has been seen by anybody in the publishing industry, it's definitely total crap.  The industry doesn't work like that.

10 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Either way - If they're claiming that a FM book due to be published in December 2020 has been seen by anybody in the publishing industry, it's definitely total crap.  The industry doesn't work like that.

The claim was it was someone involved in writing it, not just that there where proof copies lying around.

The 1975 headlining the 50th just feels like you'd look back in a few years time when their star wans and think wtf was that all about. 

I also think the singer fella is a massive bellend. Saw some of their show at Longitude a few years ago and had to leave. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

More than we have about anyone else though at the moment, and combined with their comments about fields at shows and that we know the Emily really wants to book them, they get talked about alot.

They are certainly a strong rumour, but combining obvious bullshit with strong info doesn't make the bullshit worthy of mentioning...

Why would anyone announce anything with a book, its so stupid. Even if it ups publicity if the only thing I know about a book is that it revealed a piece of information... probably won't read the book.

This 50th stuff is getting out of hand as well, they made a big deal out of the 40th and we got some dates above the screens. And a secret set from...

... Biffy Clyro used to be massive, I dunno how anyone's forgotten that. They used one of their songs for the X-Factor winners song (although fuck knows what happened to whoever sang it). Mountains was everywhere for ages as well. They're not so big now though, they'd probably do a great Other headline set if the fancied it at some point. I'd even pop along maybe if I knew when they were gonna play 57.

If they do anything with the book, it's not going to be printed in it. Perhaps on the day the book comes out they will video someone opening the front cover and a note inside will have one of the headliners or something?

Book gets an absolute shit load of publicity then too when everyone retweets/shares the video of the headliner being revealed by someone opening the front page of the book.

18 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Why would anyone announce anything with a book, its so stupid. Even if it ups publicity if the only thing I know about a book is that it revealed a piece of information... probably won't read the book.

This 50th stuff is getting out of hand as well, they made a big deal out of the 40th and we got some dates above the screens. And a secret set from...

... Biffy Clyro used to be massive, I dunno how anyone's forgotten that. They used one of their songs for the X-Factor winners song (although fuck knows what happened to whoever sang it). Mountains was everywhere for ages as well. They're not so big now though, they'd probably do a great Other headline set if the fancied it at some point. I'd even pop along maybe if I knew when they were gonna play 57.

A lot has changed over the last 10 years though. Pretty sure there will be a few more things this time to celebrate such a big anniversary.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Biggest new UK band since Arctics? Mumford and Sons were huge around the world, Kasabian were/are bigger, hell I don’t see how they’ve outdone Biffy at this point either.

They're definitely big enough to headline and will be for a while but let’s not get crazy.

Well, their streaming numbers are a lot better than Biffy and Kasabian's. And their tours are at least equally sized if not bigger (10 arenas this year, 12 next year). Obviously those are bands that came up before streaming whereas the '5 very much come out of streaming, so there's not a single number you can point to to make a direct comparison, but I think you're downplaying their popularity a bit. Especially when you said they're only slightly bigger than Foals, a very daft comment.

Edited by Mash011
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

The 1975 headlining the 50th just feels like you'd look back in a few years time when their star wans and think wtf was that all about. 

There was similar talk for the 40th anniversary, too.

That had a line-up of Gorillaz, Muse, and Stevie Wonder - and Stevie Wonder was a late booking, not an early one!

OK, it was meant to be U2 and not Gorillaz until Bono ate his tax return (or something) ... but Muse? What was that all about? 

:P

Just now, eFestivals said:

That had a line-up of Gorillaz, Muse, and Stevie Wonder - and Stevie Wonder was a late booking, not an early one!

OK, it was meant to be U2 and not Gorillaz until Bono ate his tax return (or something) ... but Muse? What was that all about? 

Also remember a massive deal being made of the secret pyramid openers, they’re going to be massive acts etc.....  

Rolf Harris, Tinchy Stryder and the normal Sunday band. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

because they can?

I'm not really expecting anything in to be in it, but it would definitely be a unique way of announcing a headliner - and they seem to be trying to make the early announcements in striking ways nowadays,.

I am fully expecting "something" with the book. Whether it be the legend, a headliner, a new area or even a random act that is playing (eg Wolf Alice announced a few weeks ago)

Just now, sisco said:

Also remember a massive deal being made of the secret pyramid openers, they’re going to be massive acts etc.....  

Rolf Harris, Tinchy Stryder and the normal Sunday band. 

there was talk of a '4th headliner' that year.

I know for certain it was going to be Coldplay (surprise surprise :P), but they backed out a couple of months before because of other shows they were doing.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

all on the resale thread praying for something similar :) 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there was talk of a '4th headliner' that year.

I know for certain it was going to be Coldplay (surprise surprise :P), but they backed out a couple of months before because of other shows they were doing.

Do you think there could be anything in this Main Stages open Thursday idea?

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Well, their streaming numbers are a lot better than Biffy and Kasabian's. And their tours are at least equally sized if not bigger (10 arenas this year, 12 next year). Obviously those are bands that came up before streaming whereas the '5 very much come out of streaming, so there's not a single number you can point to to make a direct comparison, but I think you're downplaying their popularity a bit. Especially when you said they're only slightly smaller than Foals, a very daft comment.

Not downplaying shit. And I never said The 1975 are smaller than Foals, not with the general population anyway.