2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yea there was a narrative exclusively for TV watchers about how the Arctics has proper done the Stones that year, showed the old fellas what rock and roll is, etc.

The notion of Arctic Monkeys being a dour live act stretches way beyond this website.

I’ve been watching them live since the end of 2005, in various different venues from Academy’s to arenas and festivals, and never once would I have described them as dour. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I’ve been watching them live since the end of 2005, in various different venues from Academy’s to arenas and festivals, and never once would I have described them as dour. 

I’ve seen them a fair few times and I’d describe them as a mixed bag. Saw them twice last year - bored the arse off me at the Albert Hall but really enjoyed their O2 gig.

Go figure.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’ve seen them a fair few times and I’d describe them as a mixed bag. Saw them twice last year - bored the arse off me at the Albert Hall but really enjoyed their O2 gig.

Go figure.

Yeah I’m sure they have off nights, same as any band. I just can’t figure out where this reputation comes from. They’d need to be poor more than they were good, which just isn’t true. 

12 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

What do you mean exactly? Was the sound not great further back? The band’s  live presence didn’t translate in person? Genuinely interested to find out. Haven’t been to equate the efests apathy to the set to what I’ve seen of it. 

The screens were Radiohead-esque, the stage was smoked out, Alex’s crap patter, there were long pauses and the crowd was pretty hostile in some places, possibly from boredom. Just wasn’t much of a connection going on really.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Go figure.

Seen them a few times over the years, their latest arena tour was the best I’d seen them, thought they were brilliant.

9 hours ago, K2SO said:

No, Metallica were replacing Prince if I remember right. Think it was assumed Metallica were doing The Other Stage, Prince was headlining Pyramid on Saturday. When Prince info got out, he cancelled, Metallica got pushed up to Pyramid and somehow Jake Bugg headlined Other.

That was my first Glastonbury, and I am glad Kasabian headlined as they're one of my favourite bands. As far as I know, they were also booked quite far in advance, and not necessarily a panic book. They had released 48:13 2 weeks before and sold out Victoria Park in Leicester the previous weekend. Maybe they were a second choice after someone big, but I always assumed they were pretty close to the top of the list.

Kasabian were booked in November, and 48:13 were played over the speakers in April in the office when I was at an unnamed UK based publication.

Yes, I should have taken them to a tribunal for the workplace harassment 

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Go figure.

I find this intriguing. I don't know if we went to the same o2 night (I went on the Sunday) but I enjoyed the Royal Albert Hall set a lot more and it's one my my favourite ever sets (probably tied with Radiohead Pyramid '17 which of course has well-documented mixed polarising reviews too). I can only assume it's because of the small (in floor space at least) venue, being near the front and the setlist (primarily the surprise inclusion of From The Ritz the Rubble to an enormous reception). This makes me think - how much variation really is there in a band's performance and how much is down to things like sound quality, position in the crowd and our own mood at the time (setlist being the main variable from the band's side)? 

And @dentaIpIan, I'm surprised you say that about this reputation stretching outside these boards. Where have you heard these comments? I've seen them 8 times at a combination of their own gigs and festivals (UK and Europe) and with a combination of big fans, casual fans and those only knowing a couple of songs and I've never heard anyone describe them as dour or anything close to it. It was quite surprising hearing it here and I can't work out the extent to which it's confirmation bias or the efests echo chamber.  

Radiohead are one of the biggest bands ever and I hear people slating them far more than AM.

Twitter is hardly a suitable measurement. More people would rather go on there to air their distaste rather than praise.

AM are absolutely massive and widely adored as a live act. Hence their worldwide success and demand.

Edited by Stokesy10
  • Downvote 1

AM are a total mixed bag live, T In the Park 2014 was absolute shite (and to think that was the final ever headliner at the proper T in the Park at Kinross) 

They were also dreadful when I seen them in Glasgow later that tour, however I seen them last year in Newcastle and they were fantastic (may have been the setlist). Plus Turner wasn't as much of an arse last year. 

They have of course had off-gigs. Who hasn't? I've seen a few on YouTube where his voice is off and they don't seem on it, which is a shame but as I say...who hasn't? 

Get them back in the farm for 2020 I say :D

GAGA

AM

ELTON 

Absolute dream line up for me that! With Lightening Seeds in the legend slot. You heard it here first guys and gals.

12 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

What do you mean exactly? Was the sound not great further back? The band’s  live presence didn’t translate in person? Genuinely interested to find out. Haven’t been to equate the efests apathy to the set to what I’ve seen of it. 

Played it like a session, just stood there with minimal showmanship or crowd interaction. Screens in b&w and fuzzy and split into 4 filmed at weird angles. Crowd were with them at the beginning and came back a bit towards the end but there was a massive lull in the middle for at least an hour where people had lost interest and were waiting for the hits at the end, and we were quite far forward.

34 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I find this intriguing. I don't know if we went to the same o2 night (I went on the Sunday) but I enjoyed the Royal Albert Hall set a lot more and it's one my my favourite ever sets (probably tied with Radiohead Pyramid '17 which of course has well-documented mixed polarising reviews too). I can only assume it's because of the small (in floor space at least) venue, being near the front and the setlist (primarily the surprise inclusion of From The Ritz the Rubble to an enormous reception). This makes me think - how much variation really is there in a band's performance and how much is down to things like sound quality, position in the crowd and our own mood at the time (setlist being the main variable from the band's side)? 

It's a funny one, and almost certainly down to mood and personal circumstances. I had been at a work do all afternoon before the RAH gig and rocked up pretty pissed in some decent seats but just could not get into it. A few months later on a whim I decided to give them another chance, picked up a cheap last minute O2 ticket (think it was the Thursday as I remember having work the next day) went on my own and even decided to drive as I live 10 mins drive from the O2 and wasn't really feeling it. Got to my seat with my bottle of coke just as they we were coming on stage and ended up loving it.

As I said, go figure. 

38 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Yeah that’s where I saw them, brilliant gig. Alex has got the showmanship nailed nowadays.

Wouldn't say nailed. Inconsistent at least. 

Came across like an utter arse at Werchter, worst headline set I've ever seen, people leaving in droves by the end. Much better when saw them 2013 & 2014, as I said, even then they weren't amazing

Edit: I dont want to sound like a dickhead and go on about it, but Werchter left such a bad taste in my mouth haha

Edited by Gacheezbo

I always think Pyramid Headliners are best when they gush about how excited they are to be there. If you are too cool for that, like Alex Turner appeared to be in 2014, then the crowd is a little harder to please.  It's why Coldplay do so well because Chris Martin has already told everyone how amazing this is and how it's the best job in the world ten times before they've even finished the intro of the first song.

The Glastonbury crowd likes to be told it is special.  Play along with that and you can't fail.

5 minutes ago, uscore said:

I always think Pyramid Headliners are best when they gush about how excited they are to be there. If you are too cool for that, like Alex Turner appeared to be in 2014, then the crowd is a little harder to please.  It's why Coldplay do so well because Chris Martin has already told everyone how amazing this is and how it's the best job in the world ten times before they've even finished the intro of the first song.

The Glastonbury crowd likes to be told it is special.  Play along with that and you can't fail.

You ARE special USCORE, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.