2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, The Martini Police said:

I find this intriguing. I don't know if we went to the same o2 night (I went on the Sunday) but I enjoyed the Royal Albert Hall set a lot more and it's one my my favourite ever sets (probably tied with Radiohead Pyramid '17 which of course has well-documented mixed polarising reviews too). I can only assume it's because of the small (in floor space at least) venue, being near the front and the setlist (primarily the surprise inclusion of From The Ritz the Rubble to an enormous reception). This makes me think - how much variation really is there in a band's performance and how much is down to things like sound quality, position in the crowd and our own mood at the time (setlist being the main variable from the band's side)? 

And @dentaIpIan, I'm surprised you say that about this reputation stretching outside these boards. Where have you heard these comments? I've seen them 8 times at a combination of their own gigs and festivals (UK and Europe) and with a combination of big fans, casual fans and those only knowing a couple of songs and I've never heard anyone describe them as dour or anything close to it. It was quite surprising hearing it here and I can't work out the extent to which it's confirmation bias or the efests echo chamber.  

I've seen them twice, both times were poor. Leeds 2009 is up there as probably my least favourite headline shows of all time. My take, for what it's worth, is that there's an arrogance issue with Alex Turner which doesn't come across well with me at all. As if the crowd should be grateful that they're even there.

4 minutes ago, dirtymookie said:

Leeds 2009 is up there as probably my least favourite headline shows of all time.

Never tire of talking about how wrong they got that performance. Setlist full of songs from a week old album that wasn't exactly well received at the time combined with a totally unenthused performance from the whole band, and they had to follow The Prodigy who tore the place apart. Completely stunk the place out and I honestly had it in my head that their time was gonna be up soon after if they continued down that road.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dirtymookie said:

My take, for what it's worth, is that there's an arrogance issue with Alex Turner which doesn't come across well with me at all. As if the crowd should be grateful that they're even there

If he could put across this kind of Big Dick Energy, or any energy, it would improve the shows a lot.

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Never tire of talking about how wrong they got that performance. Setlist full of songs from a week old album that wasn't exactly well received at the time combined with a totally unenthused performance from the whole band, and they had to follow The Prodigy who tore the place apart. Completely stunk the place out and I honestly had it in my head that their time was gonna be up soon after if they continued down that road.

Oh God, I’d blanked that out. The Prodigy were brilliant as well.

Speaking of The Prodigy...do we think they could headline The Other Stage? They were meant to play this year in what I assume was The Chemical Brothers slot, they are now back in the studio and I think it would be a good return for them and a tribute for Keith?

Just now, ModBoy said:

Speaking of The Prodigy...do we think they could headline The Other Stage? They were meant to play this year in what I assume was The Chemical Brothers slot, they are now back in the studio and I think it would be a good return for them and a tribute for Keith?

Theres another thread where a few have been discussing this a bit, I'm with you on this. Would be fantastic.

Just now, C14S said:

Theres another thread where a few have been discussing this a bit, I'm with you on this. Would be fantastic.

Yeah was most likely me, I have mentioned them elsewhere, but thought I would bring it up here now the name came up in conversation to see peoples opinions

38 minutes ago, C14S said:

Are there any other realistic possibilities besides the group of:

Elton

Kendrick

AM

FM

Taytay

Macca?

Foals? Coldplay?

On the face of it, virtually any 3 of that is "stronger" than this years 3 - but the common consensus from those there is that all 3 Pyramid headliners played blinders.

2 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Saw someone on Reddit mention that Pulp are an option to headline, but they haven't been spoken about much on this forum...is there any chance or is this person just hoping?

That person is hoping. No actual info on Pulp. Same with Blur - friends of the festival and have a big history there so you could see it happen, but as of now there's no actual info on it. We live in hope though.

1 minute ago, ModBoy said:

Yeah was most likely me, I have mentioned them elsewhere, but thought I would bring it up here now the name came up in conversation to see peoples opinions

lol my bad, im with you though, would love to see it.

22 minutes ago, dirtymookie said:

I've seen them twice, both times were poor. Leeds 2009 is up there as probably my least favourite headline shows of all time. My take, for what it's worth, is that there's an arrogance issue with Alex Turner which doesn't come across well with me at all. As if the crowd should be grateful that they're even there.

Too right they should. They're in the presence of the greatest lyricist of all time.

Lick his cool shoes.

Fwiw, I cringed at times at his persona during 2013 GF set. He's gladly toned that right down now and his stage presence was incredible in the most recent tour. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mufcok said:

Did I read on here that Fleetwood Mac are considered less likely now for some reason, or I have I imagined that?

At one point yes, but then people talked about the muddy field comments, which he apparently made in NY, NZ and London, and now they seem likely again. 

29 minutes ago, uscore said:

I always think Pyramid Headliners are best when they gush about how excited they are to be there. If you are too cool for that, like Alex Turner appeared to be in 2014, then the crowd is a little harder to please.  It's why Coldplay do so well because Chris Martin has already told everyone how amazing this is and how it's the best job in the world ten times before they've even finished the intro of the first song.

The Glastonbury crowd likes to be told it is special.  Play along with that and you can't fail.

Does my head in when bands do that. Stop licking my arse and start pleasing my ears.

All you really need is:

"We are The Fall from long long days(?), not used to the countryside they're half asleep. The group, they're so happy to be here. In the Salford of Manchester they think this is such a great place. Thanks for turning the volume down, c**ts."

and just crack on from there without another word. Maybe piss yourself.

Sleaford Mods set from that year was a great display of disdain for the audience as well.

8 minutes ago, C14S said:

I’m not sure if I can imagine Prodigy without Keith. I know musically they will still be fantastic but without his energy up front it won’t ever being the same again. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m not sure if I can imagine Prodigy without Keith. I know musically they will still be fantastic but without his energy up front it won’t ever being the same again. 

I agree in fairness, I managed to see them on their last tour (1st and only time seen them), and it is the best gig I have ever been to the energy that had is 2nd to none, especially what Keith bought to the band, obviously the likes of Fire starter and Breathe will never be the same. But I still think their music would be great and even as a 1 off show at Glastonbury like a tribute would go down amazing and they would get a huge crowd. They will never be what they was but I still think they will be good

Hello all,

finally secured Glasto tickets the other day after four failed years so I'm very excited! I've got a few acts I’d love the see there and just wondering what you’re all thinking.

The Strokes - would make a great sub on the pyramid or other headliner. They were fantastic at APE (despite the sound issues) and the demand is clearly there. However, remember when they subbed on the Radio 1 stage at TITP 2011 when they headlined r&l that year? Wtf was up with that! Nick valensi also confirmed a new album for 2020 so I am really hoping that they’re there.

The Jesus & Mary Chain - that Darklands tour is just too short, surely a few festival appearances are planned? They’d be great in the John Peel I think.

Thom Yorke - I saw Radiohead at TRNSMT 2017 and they were great. Obvs it’s too soon for Radiohead to return and they’re all off doing solo stuff but I’d love to see Thom solo!

Few smaller/other acts I’d love to see too: Inhaler, Alvvays, Snail Mail, Fontaines DC, The Murder Capital, Bill Ryder Jones, Sleater Kinney(?), Crewel Intentions, THE CRIBS, The Voidz, Loyle Carner, MBV(?), Shame

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

Hello all,

finally secured Glasto tickets the other day after four failed years so I'm very excited! I've got a few acts I’d love the see there and just wondering what you’re all thinking.

The Strokes - would make a great sub on the pyramid or other headliner. They were fantastic at APE (despite the sound issues) and the demand is clearly there. However, remember when they subbed on the Radio 1 stage at TITP 2011 when they headlined r&l that year? Wtf was up with that! Nick valensi also confirmed a new album for 2020 so I am really hoping that they’re there.

The Jesus & Mary Chain - that Darklands tour is just too short, surely a few festival appearances are planned? They’d be great in the John Peel I think.

Thom Yorke - I saw Radiohead at TRNSMT 2017 and they were great. Obvs it’s too soon for Radiohead to return and they’re all off doing solo stuff but I’d love to see Thom solo!

Few smaller/other acts I’d love to see too: Inhaler, Alvvays, Snail Mail, Fontaines DC, The Murder Capital, Bill Ryder Jones, Sleater Kinney(?), Crewel Intentions, THE CRIBS, The Voidz, Loyle Carner, MBV(?), Shame

Did he!?

Have you got a link to this?..