2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, Nick Aldous said:

Scrolling through reddit now to find the post ? a fan met him and he confirmed its coming and they’re deciding between two different titles

Sounds promising. I don't see them doing Glastonbury tbh, think they'll still be after mega bucks and they won't be paid that to play Glastonbury. I'd love a tour though, especially after the All Points East fiasco 

10 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

Hello all,

finally secured Glasto tickets the other day after four failed years so I'm very excited! I've got a few acts I’d love the see there and just wondering what you’re all thinking.

The Strokes - would make a great sub on the pyramid or other headliner. They were fantastic at APE (despite the sound issues) and the demand is clearly there. However, remember when they subbed on the Radio 1 stage at TITP 2011 when they headlined r&l that year? Wtf was up with that! Nick valensi also confirmed a new album for 2020 so I am really hoping that they’re there.

The Jesus & Mary Chain - that Darklands tour is just too short, surely a few festival appearances are planned? They’d be great in the John Peel I think.

Thom Yorke - I saw Radiohead at TRNSMT 2017 and they were great. Obvs it’s too soon for Radiohead to return and they’re all off doing solo stuff but I’d love to see Thom solo!

Few smaller/other acts I’d love to see too: Inhaler, Alvvays, Snail Mail, Fontaines DC, The Murder Capital, Bill Ryder Jones, Sleater Kinney(?), Crewel Intentions, THE CRIBS, The Voidz, Loyle Carner, MBV(?), Shame

The Cribs surely due a return. Really hoping they'll announce some Cribsmas goodness for us all soon.

• Upvote 2

Just now, priest17 said:

Fiasco?

Couldn't hear a thing, waited 8 years to see them again. Waste of time. Half the field booing

First time I've ever been there and it'll be the last. I was warned about it before I went, it's a yearly 'event' apparently

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Never tire of talking about how wrong they got that performance. Setlist full of songs from a week old album that wasn't exactly well received at the time combined with a totally unenthused performance from the whole band, and they had to follow The Prodigy who tore the place apart. Completely stunk the place out and I honestly had it in my head that their time was gonna be up soon after if they continued down that road.

Bit late to the party, but their performance at Reading the same year was exactly the same. I've never bothered to try and see them live again (not that I've been a huge fan of their recorded stuff anyway).

1 hour ago, C14S said:

Are there any other realistic possibilities besides the group of:

Elton

Kendrick

AM

FM

Taytay

Macca?

Foals? Coldplay?

Yes. Those are just the most talked about names by this forum. It often comes from outside the most talked about names in October. We know very little at this point so recapping these names and labelling them as the ‘realistic contenders’ isn’t accurate.

Just now, mufcok said:

Couldn't hear a thing, waited 8 years to see them again. Waste of time. Half the field booing

First time I've ever been there and it'll be the last. I was warned about it before I went, it's a yearly 'event' apparently

I must have been in the other half, had a grand old time. Sound wasn't great near the sound desk, moved back a bit and it was great. Event was all organised so much better than the QOTSA one the year before in Finsbury. Not a massive fan of having to trek daan saath for these big gigs though.

y'know typing this out again I do feel like we've had this conversation already ahahah, that was a whole summer ago though.

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I must have been in the other half, had a grand old time. Sound wasn't great near the sound desk, moved back a bit and it was great. Event was all organised so much better than the QOTSA one the year before in Finsbury. Not a massive fan of having to trek daan saath for these big gigs though.

y'know typing this out again I do feel like we've had this conversation already ahahah, that was a whole summer ago though.

I had absolutely zero issues with the sound where I was stood for The Strokes

Just now, priest17 said:

Haha probably, can't begin to describe how pissed I was. Still annoys me talking about it now, especially the way they dealt with it afterwards.

We were to the right of the sound desk, it was awful. I watched Interpol earlier in the day at a smaller stage from about 5 rows back and even that seemed really quiet. The event organisation was absolutely fine, just the sound that was atrocious 

Anyway, here's to a new Strokes album :D

52 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Does my head in when bands do that. Stop licking my arse and start pleasing my ears.

I don't mind it as long as it's sincere. Audiences can always tell who means it and who is just paying lip service.

One of the things that made Adele's set so great was that it was palpably clear how much being on that stage meant to her.

Just now, mufcok said:

Haha probably, can't begin to describe how pissed I was. Still annoys me talking about it now, especially the way they dealt with it afterwards.

We were to the right of the sound desk, it was awful. I watched Interpol earlier in the day at a smaller stage from about 5 rows back and even that seemed really quiet. The event organisation was absolutely fine, just the sound that was atrocious 

Anyway, here's to a new Strokes album :D

Interpol's sound was awful. I've seen them so many times as well but my mate wanted to see them and I'd had a few beers so didn't wanna lose anyone, simple northern boy I am visiting the big smoke. Raconteurs were slaying it before I left as well, Interpol might as well have been playing from someones phone. 

Anyway, aye, new album. Doubt they'd even tour with it, they haven't been to Manchester since I was 13.

1 hour ago, ModBoy said:

Saw someone on Reddit mention that Pulp are an option to headline, but they haven't been spoken about much on this forum...is there any chance or is this person just hoping?

Doesn't seem to be anything other than wishful thinking... In the doc of their reunion, Candida suggested that her arthritis may stop her from playing entirely after that tour, and Jarvis has been clear that he doesn't want to roll out Pulp without another key member following Russell's departure.  Just can't see it myself.

Just now, priest17 said:

Interpol's sound was awful. I've seen them so many times as well but my mate wanted to see them and I'd had a few beers so didn't wanna lose anyone, simple northern boy I am visiting the big smoke. Raconteurs were slaying it before I left as well, Interpol might as well have been playing from someones phone. 

Anyway, aye, new album. Doubt they'd even tour with it, they haven't been to Manchester since I was 13.

I'll happily travel to Europe/America to watch them if it's an arena tour or something similar. Having said that, I was really up for their NYE gig in New York.. until I saw it was $180 a ticket before fees...

49 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I agree in fairness, I managed to see them on their last tour (1st and only time seen them), and it is the best gig I have ever been to the energy that had is 2nd to none, especially what Keith bought to the band, obviously the likes of Fire starter and Breathe will never be the same. But I still think their music would be great and even as a 1 off show at Glastonbury like a tribute would go down amazing and they would get a huge crowd. They will never be what they was but I still think they will be good

It definitely won't be same without Keith, and never will reach those heights again.  But The Chems prove that you can still put together an amazing show without your vocalists being there.

On 10/8/2019 at 8:09 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I admit this new information is melting my scepticism.

doing the opposite for me.

several people reported after that it sounded like he was talking in the past tense.

if he's going around the world saying "we've played in X, Y, Z and muddy* fields and we've still got more to do", as a pre-rehearsed speech, then I think there's even less chance he was talking about Glastonbury.

*IIRC there was debate about if he said muddy fields, or just fields.

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yes. Those are just the most talked about names by this forum. It often comes from outside the most talked about names in October. We know very little at this point so recapping these names and labelling them as the ‘realistic contenders’ isn’t accurate.

Fairs. Quite enjoying not knowing everything.

53 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The screens were Radiohead-esque, the stage was smoked out, Alex’s crap patter, there were long pauses and the crowd was pretty hostile in some places, possibly from boredom. Just wasn’t much of a connection going on really.

14 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Played it like a session, just stood there with minimal showmanship or crowd interaction. Screens in b&w and fuzzy and split into 4 filmed at weird angles. Crowd were with them at the beginning and came back a bit towards the end but there was a massive lull in the middle for at least an hour where people had lost interest and were waiting for the hits at the end, and we were quite far forward.

Fair enough. It’s really strange how something can translate so differently on TV. Usually it’s the other way around. Had to laugh at the bolded bit though. Perfect summation of a Pyramid Stage tourist. 

2 minutes ago, Jose Águila said:

hola, es mi primera publicación aquí, pero me gustaría decir que estuve en el concierto de Fleetwood Mac en Wembley (lo cual fue horrible) y sugirieron fuertemente que tocarían Glastonbury o algún otro tipo de gran festival fangoso en el Reino Unido (no muchos)

si paella estrella santi cazorla

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jose Águila said:

hola, es mi primera publicación aquí, pero me gustaría decir que estuve en el concierto de Fleetwood Mac en Wembley (lo cual fue horrible) y sugirieron fuertemente que tocarían Glastonbury o algún otro tipo de gran festival fangoso en el Reino Unido (no muchos)

Hola bienvenido al foro. Esa ciertamente parece ser la interpretación más probable del comentario del "campo fangoso". No necesariamente significa que será este año.

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Some are more realistic than others though. Most notably Taylor Swift. 

Edited by kalifire

15 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Doesn't seem to be anything other than wishful thinking... In the doc of their reunion, Candida suggested that her arthritis may stop her from playing entirely after that tour, and Jarvis has been clear that he doesn't want to roll out Pulp without another key member following Russell's departure.  Just can't see it myself.

At the Sheffield Doc fest premier of that film every member was asked individually if they'd ever be back. Each member said yes without hesitation, apart from Jarvis who seemed less keen and gave it a "we'll see".