Which Was Your Favorite Year?

JayBeeis

This year will be my 23rd on the bounce. 

2003 a was highlight. amazing weather, great lineup and the last year camping was easy, in that you could park 10 mins away and set up your tent 3-4 mins from the arena on the Friday AM

Reading-2003.jpg

Remember 2005 really well too, although this may have been due as much to the horror of 2004 as the great line up, with Kasabian and Bloc Party both headlining the tent, perhaps at their peaks, with Arcade Fire too, pretty much at their's.

2004 was the last year I camped, which had the worst lineup and weather I can remember

Reading-2004.jpg

Reading-2005.jpg

Edited by Benj
lineup image

^as much as people like to shit on 2004 I liked that year, The Darkness were the biggest band in the country at that point and White Stripes & Green Day were fucking great headliners. There's was some shit on the undercard like 50 Cent (who only lasted a song and abit) and Morrisey which didn't fit but there were plenty of festival crowd pleasers like Ash, Streets, Jurassic 5, Hives, Placebo etc and Libertines & Distillers were at their height of popularity to stack it. The highlight for me was seeing The 5 6 7 8's, that song was fucking everywhere at the time.  

Some line-ups will look worse through history's telescope, but what 2004 had were a lot of acts like VonBondies and The Stills who were hot bookings at the time in an indie scene still in love with itself. The booking of Scene God Morrissey made so much sense in the placement he got. The crowd prior was electric in anticipation, but once he came out blasting the classic How Soon Is Now to minimal reaction it was a straight nose dive into solo material, for a crowd who came to say they were there, and to hear the songs they know from the indie disco.

I had a great time at everything though! I hammered my way round the Leeds site until I quite literally passed out watching Dirty Sanchez on the late tent.

2010 will always be my favourite year for personal reasons,  and the lineup also had some tremendous highlights:

- Having got into the Libertines after they imploded, seeing them live was a dream that became a reality. 

- Arcade Fire are one of my favourite bands and their headline set was incredible. Zero shits given that the crowd was a bit sparse! 

- Saw Blink 182 live for the first time, a big deal for me as they were a favourite of mine in my teens. 

- Biffy played a fantastic sunset slot on the main stage, last time I saw them before they became headline-sized. 

- Awesome set from Weezer. I still chuckle at the Wheatus cover. 

- TDCC got my weekend going early on the NME stage. Hadn’t really heard of them before that afternoon but have been a big fan ever since. 

Phoenix, Mumford, Foals, Cribs, Maccabees and Gaslight were all memorable as well. Just a fantastic weekend! 

Edited by rfc_478

In terms of years I've been then 2010. So many great sets in one year Arcade Fire, Weezer, QOTSA, the return of the Libs, Pulled Apart By Horses, Gaslight. Axl on the megaphone was great comedy too. 

If I had a time machine and could go to any year, it'd be 1995 for me. Just perfection. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:52 PM, jump said:

^as much as people like to shit on 2004 I liked that year, The Darkness were the biggest band in the country at that point and White Stripes & Green Day were fucking great headliners. There's was some shit on the undercard like 50 Cent (who only lasted a song and abit) and Morrisey which didn't fit but there were plenty of festival crowd pleasers like Ash, Streets, Jurassic 5, Hives, Placebo etc and Libertines & Distillers were at their height of popularity to stack it. The highlight for me was seeing The 5 6 7 8's, that song was fucking everywhere at the time.  

Shits all over the last five years or so too. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've only been going since 2015, but 2017 was my fav. Only year all of our group went and vividly remember how nice the weather was sat at the campsite waiting for Eminem on the Sunday- and then how good his set was too. Think either this year or 2015 have been the best in terms of lineup, loved Metallica in 15

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Expecting to get a battering for this, but 2018 for me (hear me out!). Was the first proper festival I went to (went to This is Tomorrow in Newcastle in 2018, but I don't know if I can really class that as a proper festival), and I had an absolute blast from start to finish.

-Great company and banter was had the entire weekend

-Drink, drink, drink

-Getting to see Fall Out Boy (my favourite band, also expecting to get a battering for that) headline an absolutely class festival was unreal. One of the highlights of my life

-Seeing Panic! At The Disco for the first time was great, and they put on a hell of a show. That Bohemian Rhapsody sing a long was great, Brendon Urie has a hell of a voice. Get them back to headline proper next album cycle!

-That Bring Me The Horizon secret set was insane, they absolutely have to headline in 2020 for me. Was buzzing when the rumours about them doing the secret set turned out to be true

-Don Broco kicked the weekend off for us with a bang in the Radio 1 tent, unreal energy, and hope they go on to do great things. That set will always have a special place in my heart.

Special shoutout to the Silent Disco, such a unique vibe in that tent, and an unexpected highlight for me!

2019 was fantastic as well, and that run on the main stage of Frank Carter > A Day To Remember > Foo Fighters was great, but I guess you can't beat your first time, eh?

2005 for me.

Went for the Green Day day in 2004 but this was my first ever full weekend festival.

Pixies, Foos, Maiden, Arcade Fire, Manson etc. plus the likes of Yourcodenameis: Milo, Blood Brothers, My Chemical Romance, The Subways, Enter Shikari & Kasabian playing blinders on the Radio 1 stage. Could easily relive that year several times over.

• 2 weeks later...

Only been 17,18 and 19 and each one was brill for different reasons. 17 was my first proper festival, 18 had personally the better lineup for me (only kendrick from the headliners though) and 19 was overall the best experience and atmosphere. 
So 19 for the best year in general for me, 18 lineup wise haha.

• 1 month later...