eFestivals is fund-raising

eFestivals has been here 20 years supporting festivals and festival goers. Without your support it will not continue as it has been.
Advertising used to pay the bills but advertising revenues are much less than they were.

Festivals: if you'd like us to continue to promote your event to our 650,000 monthly readers you'll need to give a helping hand.
Festival-Goers: if every visitor in just one day donated just £2, that would provide funding for a whole year.

You can donate or sign up for 'gold' (ad-free) membership, or you can contact the editor.
rzwodezwo

2019 Headliners

15 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Don't even think they're gonna be there, Australian tour starts a couple days after and they've been told they're not winning anything so not going.

It won't have anything to do with not winning anything. They are on stage in Perth less than 60 hours after the Brits begins. Probably need to be out there before Friday with the flight....

3 hours ago, Rob_Murray92 said:

Yeh it wouldn't be a massive surprise if he's there, cool though. So nobody knows why he's suddenly become a strong rumour?

Do you need the info for Somerset / Bristol live headlines then ? .... you  do work for them dont you ?

Edited by crazyfool1

7 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Apparently, according to Festival Info, Gorillaz and a few others have leaked. Gorillaz would headline wouldn’t they? @eFestivals have you had any runnings with these before?

23FC45E9-BEA2-4E71-902B-8A2302CB8AEA.png

It's a parodic bot account....

Just now, capman said:

It's a parodic bot account....

Figured that now, thanks mate. 

Not headliner related, but check out this bit of news

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/refunds-over-great-british-cycling-festival-event-1-5893336

Pertinent quote being:

He told BBC Radio Norfolk: “There happens to be a very large event happening in the UK that same weekend in Glastonbury and that has literally hoovered up most of the people who have the power to stop traffic.

Literally hoovered!

!!!Literally hoovered!!!

I have questions. How big's this fucking hoover for starters.

• Upvote 1

"Literally" literally stopped literally meaning literally years ago.

Edited by uscore
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, uscore said:

"Literally" literally stopped literally meaning literally years ago.

And non of us are any better for it.

33 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/refunds-over-great-british-cycling-festival-event-1-5893336

Pertinent quote being:

He told BBC Radio Norfolk: “There happens to be a very large event happening in the UK that same weekend in Glastonbury and that has literally hoovered up most of the people who have the power to stop traffic.

Literally hoovered!

!!!Literally hoovered!!!

Brilliant. Terrible day for the English language when the awful misuse of it was legitimised in 2013 though. 

41 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Pertinent quote being:

Literally hoovered!

!!!Literally hoovered!!!

912911.jpg.036720eff2163e1d81550541143b8d56.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

It's an awful use of language. By which I mean it is so good it fills me with awe.

Or maybe language is living thing and words change.

21 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Or maybe language is living thing

Literally a living thing?

49 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It's an awful use of language. By which I mean it is so good it fills me with awe.

Or maybe language is living thing and words change.

That's a cop out. I hate it when linguistics come out with that bullshit. It's like a historian saying "well, there have been atrocities all through the centuries, this latest massacre is nothing new"

Just because language has always changed, doesn't mean that every single change is for the best.

How are we supposed to differentiate between a metaphor and something actually happening in a succinct way, now that "figuratively" and "literally" have the same meaning?

In other news, I turned 40 last year and fear change.

*principal Skinner gif*

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Pertinent quote being:

Literally hoovered!

!!!Literally hoovered!!!

Fuck. I’m now literally dead with mild concern for the steamroller rally I had planned through central London on Marathon Day. 

36 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's a cop out. I hate it when linguistics come out with that bullshit. It's like a historian saying "well, there have been atrocities all through the centuries, this latest massacre is nothing new"

Just because language has always changed, doesn't mean that every single change is for the best.

How are we supposed to differentiate between a metaphor and something actually happening in a succinct way, now that "figuratively" and "literally" have the same meaning?

In other news, I turned 40 last year and fear change.

*principal Skinner gif*

You can both be right really.

Literally everyone started using literally "incorrectly" so it's become a valid use.  But you are still allowed to hate it.  But it's not wrong.

10 minutes ago, uscore said:

Literally everyone started using literally "incorrectly" so it's become a valid use.  But you are still allowed to hate it.  But it's not wrong.

That's literally untrue - the "literally everyone" bit anyway is literally wrong

And I am literally the only one here who has used the word "literally" correctly

..until proven otherwise

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have actually no idea. I can say without hyperbole that this will play on my mind for weeks. I really mean it. There are exactly zero ways of communicating that idea. Which is precisely the sort of thing that is worth protecting.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

re we supposed to differentiate between a metaphor and something actually happening in a succinct way, now that "figuratively" and "literally" have the same meaning?

I think most people can infer this from context easily enough.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

I have actually no idea. I can say without hyperbole that this will play on my mind for weeks. I really mean it. There are exactly zero ways of communicating that idea. Which is precisely the sort of thing that is worth protecting.

Ha! You sarky git :)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's the whole point of the word! You use it when it's not clear from context!

Pah.

what example can you give where it would be a problem?