2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

8 minutes ago, Chef said:

Am I the only person that thinks The 1975 are toss?

I don't know if I'd call them toss. I'm certainly not the target audience for their music. I'll probably watch them at Mad Cool and I'm interested to see what their deal is live. 

39 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Completely premature - this is APE's second year, and the headliners last year could headline the majority of UK zests (Bjork, Nick Cave, National, LCD), which was said for last year was roughly the equivalent of Other head / Pyramid Sub.

Admittedly, the lineup this year might be said to be a little softer, with 2 to still announce, but we'll see how it matures over the next few editions.

You have contradicted yourself, none of Bjork, Nick Cave, The National or LCD would headline a major UK Festival, sub 2nd stage headliners yes.

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

You have contradicted yourself, none of Bjork, Nick Cave, The National or LCD would headline a major UK Festival, sub 2nd stage headliners yes.

Was LCD headlining the Other a one off then cause of the return? Assumed they'd be there or there about if (or hopefully when) they played again in future

27 minutes ago, jparx said:

I've seen Kanye at his own show and it was infinitely better than his Pyramid set. Been a big fan of his music for over a decade and went to the Pyramid that night incredibly excited to see him nail it, knowing how good he was the first time I saw him. So many people left that I could do that old school PE move where you spin around with your arms at full length to check you've got enough space. I was devastated. I was completely expecting him to put on one of the greatest Glastonbury shows ever.

I wasn't even stood that far back (just behind the second barrier) and there was a real buzz of excitement before the show, so it's not like the part of the crowd I was in wanted him to fail. They wanted a good show and they didn't get it.

Gave up on it after an hour and caught the end of PSB in the Glade, which was stunning.

Totally agree with this. I’ve seen him on his Glow in the Dark tour and Watch The Throne. GITD was one of the best live gigs I’ve ever attended.

The issue with the Glasto set was it was a hardcore fan set. If you appreciate Justin Vernon and Mike Dean it was fantastic, but most attendees have probably never heard of them (or certainly Mike Dean).

He could’ve won the crowd through bringing on GOOD Music guests like Pusha T or Kid Cudi, but it was a self indulgent, clunky set. I thought the extended version of Lost in the World was amazing but many had left by that point.

Judging by his album sales, critical reviews and Grammys, he deserved that slot - it just wasn’t commercial or slick enough.

1 minute ago, Bisque said:

Bjork did Bestival when it was 65k odd. Tiny by Glasto standards mind.

The year Bjork did it, it was 50k. It did not increase capacity until 2013 and let's be clear that although Bestival did reach 'major festival' capacities, there a couple at best that would be booked to headline a major UK Festival. Long story short...it's a pretty bad example.

4 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Was LCD headlining the Other a one off then cause of the return? Assumed they'd be there or there about if (or hopefully when) they played again in future

It's not the main stage is it?, take The Chemical Brothers for eg..the only festival that would book them to top their main stage that is considered a major UK Fest Creamfields.

40 minutes ago, jparx said:

I don't know if I'd call them toss. I'm certainly not the target audience for their music. I'll probably watch them at Mad Cool and I'm interested to see what their deal is live. 

Probably the perfect place to see them as a neutral, I'd suggest. With the non-competing 2 main stages, and the staging there.

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

It was quite an exodus from KW but I don’t think all that many left Radiohead. I actually joined Radiohead half an hour into their set. If the pyramid has an act like KW or Stormzy then their should be a strong rock act on the other stage and decent alternative styles elsewhere. My mate was so blitzed he went to see status quo acoustic set when Radiohead was on. To this day he claims they were top notch! 

Loads left Radiohead early doors. Daydreaming was hard to hear in places and because the screens weren't on people just got fed up. 

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Radiohexit (Music For A Film) was evident up in The Park by the way Wayne Lip and the lads filled up as the night wore on.

Yeah, I actually did go to Radiohead, albeit arriving part way through the set.

I should have been tipped off by the never-ending stream of people going past me in the opposite direction.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Radiohexit (Music For A Film) was evident up in The Park by the way Wayne Lip and the lads filled up as the night wore on.

We came into the Radiohead crowd and there was quite a few there, but by the time we left about 45 mins later the crowd had shrunk dramatically. Past the relay speakers you could've driven a jeep around and avoided what little crowd was left there.

We left and went to Dizzee, I don't know if WH is prone to getting crowds which go so far back that they jam up the track at the back of the field, but that's the situation we found. There was loads at Major Lazer as well when we walked past Other.

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I think the Guardian article is the only place i recall seing ref to the Radiohead show "thinning out". It was one of the most miraculous shows ive ever seen and I was rooted to the spot. This sense of occasion was shared with everyone round me before and to this day. If peeps left it, as Jerry Garcia would say "Bummerrrrr."

A fair amount did go. People muttering and leaving ruined the first part of their set but as I said earlier I think it was a lot to do with the screens and the fact a lot barely noticed they started. After that initial exodus around song 5/6 though the crowd weren't moving anywhere and after Everything In Their Right Place the crowd was as glued as anything I have ever been at.

39 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

After that initial exodus around song 5/6 though the crowd weren't moving anywhere and after Everything In Their Right Place the crowd was as glued as anything I have ever been at.

I burst out laughing at how perfect the start of that track sounded. Weird involuntary reaction. Had to be there.

There's a mass exodus for most Pyramid headliners, that's the nature of the festival. People go to check out what the big deal is and invariably a chunk of people get bored and move on.

The difference between Kanye and Radiohead is one was a complete let down, and the other played Let Down.

• Upvote 3