2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

5 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Its the biggest exodus Ive seen on the Pyramid. It was so bad at one point I genuinely though there would be no one left by the end. Bigger than Oasis in 04, Gorillaz in 2010 and Radiohead in 2017 (wasn't there going by reports). 

It was quite an exodus from KW but I don’t think all that many left Radiohead. I actually joined Radiohead half an hour into their set. If the pyramid has an act like KW or Stormzy then their should be a strong rock act on the other stage and decent alternative styles elsewhere. My mate was so blitzed he went to see status quo acoustic set when Radiohead was on. To this day he claims they were top notch! 

37 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I loved it, but there were a couple of undeniable blunders. Not enough to wreck my night but you got to remember that loads of people went to that set just gagging for him to fuck up and ran with what they can get. I wasn't even in the inner circle but the crowd were with him all the way through where I was. The rest of my group were stood further back and had people just streaming past them to leave for most of it; then I was in that situation for the bit of Radiohead I saw in 2017 and that experience really does make it look like the band is dying up there.

I was quite far in.

radiohead was a bit like that. We were quite far back as we stayed at lorde a little bit too long because she was fucking killing it. (we still made it in time for the start of Radiohead)

for the first 20 minutes of radiohead I was surrounded by people talking. After they played Lucky someone shouted “play one of your old songs”. I was near that sort of crowd... if you know what I mean.

after they all pissed off and I moved in a bit further Radiohead was fab. Cried a fair few times.

but yeah I think it goes to show your reception of a headliner can really depend on where you are stood.

basic a f but when Kanye got on that crane I lost it. Maybe it was the substances 

19 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

Oasis were lackluster in '04 but I don't recall people leaving at all. It just seemed like we were waiting for it to get better. Gorillaz was definitely exodus-laden 

Gorillaz exodus was dangerous. Everyone seemed to leave at the same time. 4 or 5 songs in. 

We left Oasis in 04 after Stop Crying Your Heart Out followed by Little by Little. Was quite a caravan of people making their round to the Chemical Brothers. 

Depends where you're stood I suppose!

They're the only 4 I can think of where a lot of people left. Any others?

Edited by The Nal

17 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I was quite far in.

radiohead was a bit like that. We were quite far back as we stayed at lorde a little bit too long because she was fucking killing it. (we still made it in time for the start of Radiohead)

for the first 20 minutes of radiohead I was surrounded by people talking. After they played Lucky someone shouted “play one of your old songs”. I was near that sort of crowd... if you know what I mean.

after they all pissed off and I moved in a bit further Radiohead was fab. Cried a fair few times.

but yeah I think it goes to show your reception of a headliner can really depend on where you are stood.

basic a f but when Kanye got on that crane I lost it. Maybe it was the substances 

For Kanye I was left of the stage back at the second speaker. I was surrounded by mainly groups on a witch hunt. Horrible crowd just waiting for him to fail and chatting the entire way through. Despite enjoying Kanyes setlist the crowd killed it for me.

9 minutes ago, lobo said:

For Kanye I was left of the stage back at the second speaker. I was surrounded by mainly groups on a witch hunt. Horrible crowd just waiting for him to fail and chatting the entire way through. Despite enjoying Kanyes setlist the crowd killed it for me.

This annoys me so much, why waste energy doing that, you aren't getting any enjoyment AND you're ruining it for others

2 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I find it very weird that anyone would go and watch a set at Glastonbury (or any festival for that matter) that they know they're not going to enjoy. Unfathomable behavior.  

I totally agree but know one person at least who definitely does this. They spent months whinging about Kanye playing. I pointed out the many stages they could go to but on the night they watched Kanye and then moaned that he was rubbish. I seriously don't understand it. Don't think he has ever seen anything other than a Pyramid or Other Stage headliner mind. 

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

What's the current thinking on 3rd headliner after Stormzy and The Cure?

Is it Strokes are the best guess, but are still little more than a rumour? (eFestivals doesn't even have them on the rumours page!). Then after that its just random guesses like Gaga, Mumford and Sons, and Arctic Monkeys with no evidence whatsover?

Pretty much, The Strokes are on the rumour page.

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

What's the current thinking on 3rd headliner after Stormzy and The Cure?

Is it Strokes are the best guess, but are still little more than a rumour? (eFestivals doesn't even have them on the rumours page!). Then after that its just random guesses like Gaga, Mumford and Sons, and Arctic Monkeys with no evidence whatsover?

Great summary of this thread post-Macxit tbf, yeah.

Friend & I left Radiohead as we got bored pretty quickly. Ended up getting a cider and heading to JP tent and Annie Mac was on. We both said sod this and went back to Radiohead and glad we did as we ended up in a better spot coming in from the right hand side of the stage and ended up quite enjoying it in the end. It wasn't one of those "seminal Glastonbury moments" Jo Whiley always bangs on about that I was expecting but pretty good. Maybe I knew more of their songs towards the end of the set?

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

If they are headlining APE, that's accepting their status here isn't strictly headlining major UK Festivals anymore.

Completely premature - this is APE's second year, and the headliners last year could headline the majority of UK zests (Bjork, Nick Cave, National, LCD), which was said for last year was roughly the equivalent of Other head / Pyramid Sub.

Admittedly, the lineup this year might be said to be a little softer, with 2 to still announce, but we'll see how it matures over the next few editions.

Tbf someone posted prior to Maccs's Las Vegas date being announced that they'd heard the 3 headliners were Stormzy, The Cure and The Strokes. It's was dismissed back then cause Macca was seemingly nailed on but now with him being out of the picture, plus The Strokes activity in Europe, make them the most likely option at the moment. 

Edit: this was meant to be a reply to @Little Andy

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

18 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

This annoys me so much, why waste energy doing that, you aren't getting any enjoyment AND you're ruining it for others

Totally. Makes zero sense to stay and suffer when you could find something else to do or go grab a delicious pint in one of the many bars and have a good bitching session there. People are weird.

3 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I find it very weird that anyone would go and watch a set at Glastonbury (or any festival for that matter) that they know they're not going to enjoy. Unfathomable behavior.  

2 people in Panic at the Disco shirts stood arms folded, grimacing through a Front Bottoms set at Reading last year, only to turn and hit me with a look that could and probably was designed to stop a heart, because I was singing along. The hate watch is a real thing, definitely at festivals where sad sacks who came for a couple of bands are left with hours of time and nothing to do.

Funny thing is they're nowhere near as bad as the gig talkers.

1 hour ago, StevieGed said:

Caught the 1975 in Manchester last night and I thought they were great again. Stage set up and visuals were one of the best I’ve seen, and they threw a good party.

Going to see how they go down at Leeds in the summer headlining but I think they’d do a pretty good job topping the pyramid one night in the years to come. 

Love it if we made it is a tune.

Saw them in brum wednesday and they were excellent. Performance, songs, stage, crowd - everything was great. Just crying out for a Pyramid headline slot.

44 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Gorillaz exodus was dangerous. Everyone seemed to leave at the same time. 4 or 5 songs in. 

We left Oasis in 04 after Stop Crying Your Heart Out followed by Little by Little. Was quite a caravan of people making their round to the Chemical Brothers. 

Depends where you're stood I suppose!

They're the only 4 I can think of where a lot of people left. Any others?

Im sure people have left most shows. Where its less than utterly jammed round the periphery (Kanye) even moreso.

I think the Guardian article is the only place i recall seing ref to the Radiohead show "thinning out". It was one of the most miraculous shows ive ever seen and I was rooted to the spot. This sense of occasion was shared with everyone round me before and to this day. If peeps left it, as Jerry Garcia would say "Bummerrrrr."

I reckon a fucktonne of people get fed up and fark off whenever it sheds it down with rain come to think of it.

35 minutes ago, lobo said:

Pretty much where I was stood as well. Echo your thoughts, I was having a great time but the crowd around us wanted him to fall flat. 

Tried to move but ended up leaving after 40 mins because the vibe was so shit. 

For some reason, Radiohead's headline spot is the one that has lived with me the most since I started going to Glastonbury in 2014. Was so good, and if anything I've been listening to Radiohead and Thom Yorke more than ever since.

Edit : For the record, Kanye was easily the most dull headliner I saw.

Edited by Little Andy

I've seen Kanye at his own show and it was infinitely better than his Pyramid set. Been a big fan of his music for over a decade and went to the Pyramid that night incredibly excited to see him nail it, knowing how good he was the first time I saw him. So many people left that I could do that old school PE move where you spin around with your arms at full length to check you've got enough space. I was devastated. I was completely expecting him to put on one of the greatest Glastonbury shows ever.

I wasn't even stood that far back (just behind the second barrier) and there was a real buzz of excitement before the show, so it's not like the part of the crowd I was in wanted him to fail. They wanted a good show and they didn't get it.

Gave up on it after an hour and caught the end of PSB in the Glade, which was stunning.

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

Am I the only person that thinks The 1975 are toss?

I put on The Thingy Twitter that they were now ruled out, about 20 responses from people very happy at that news, about 2 who were disappointed. 

Edited by Gnomicide