2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

1 minute ago, jparx said:

Yeah I mean that's just as good as it gets really. Phenomenal stuff.

You've just made me 10x more pumped for Mad Cool in the Glastonbury headliner thread ?

The visuals and sound quality at Mad Cool on the main stages were top-tier.

More festivals need to adopt those screens.

30 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Madonna isn't happening. She's not going to turn up and do a greatest hits set on the cheap. If she ever plays, it'll be to promote a new album and be setlist heavy on that.

As much as I would like to be proved wrong, in no way do I think Madonna is going to headline. 

However, she is supposed to be releasing a new album this year and embarking on a world wide tour ??‍♀️

1 hour ago, parsonjack said:

Any clear reasons it couldn't be Roger Waters?  His 'Us+Them' tour has recently finished, he hasn't played for 17 years, and his political stance fits. 

Saw him last year, a terrific gig and yes his politics would certainly suit. The stage effects wouldn’t work on the pyramid 

14 minutes ago, ConorC said:

The visuals and sound quality at Mad Cool on the main stages were top-tier.

More festivals need to adopt those screens.

Yeah best stage set up Ive ever seen. By some distance. The Nine Inch Nails gig in particular was a standard everyone else should aspire too. 

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Saw him last year, a terrific gig and yes his politics would certainly suit. The stage effects wouldn’t work on the pyramid 

:huh:

zr9wz10ymgf01.jpg

Edited by The Nal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VCK said:

I saw Arctic Monkeys headline Leeds in 2009 and it still remains the worst live performance I've seen by any artist.

That gig (and Reading of course) is talked about amongst AM fandom as the peak of their fucking about days and it annoyed a fair few people. Dropping a Nick Cave cover as the second song is taking the piss a bit tbf.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah best stage set up Ive ever seen. By some distance. The Nine Inch Nails gig in particular was a standard everyone else should aspire too. 

:huh:

zr9wz10ymgf01.jpg

Yes, that was it! First time at a gig I was glad not to get a seat near the stage. The effects were tremendous from the tiered seats 

5 hours ago, GMF said:

There is only one way to solve The Strokes debate, is to have a second referendum, now everyone just needs to phone their mum and ask “do you know who The Strokes are”

My mum said "they were that band you used to be into."

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/225350-so-how-much-truth-is-there-in-this-madonna-rumour/?do=findComment&comment=5517326

So in summary back in June she was rumoured, Oct - Emily said "Not booked" doesn't mean weren't still trying? A mention of being Madge or macca - well now we know not Macca. Fee a possible stumbling block but they got round it for the stones. 

18 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

That gig (and Reading of course) is talked about amongst AM fandom as the peak of their fucking about days and it annoyed a fair few people. Dropping a Nick Cave cover as the second song is taking the piss a bit tbf.

Reading 09 was amazing - the people getting annoyed was a great bonus too

2 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

So in summary back in June she was rumoured, Oct - Emily said "Not booked" doesn't mean weren't still trying?

it's not impossible of course, but in interviews the autumn before a festival she tends to kill-off any of the bigger rumours that aren't true.

Of the rumours that were going around for 2019 Madge was the biggest, so it seems reasonable she'd want to kill it just as she has big rumours in other years.

21 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I enjoyed the show immensely for that reason I think, appreciate it was dreadful for a casual fan, but that they came on and played loads of Humbug tracks a couple of days after release was funny in my eyes.

22 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Whats wrong with Artists having fun? I'm not the biggest AM fan but Ive always enjoyed them when I've seen them. I actually really like covers too more big bands should do them, nothing wrong with that imo.

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I remember enjoying AM '09 and The Strokes 2011 at Leeds. Either easily pleased or far too pissed, it seems

I enjoyed AM at Reading '09 but the Strokes were shocking in '11. Although The Strokes weren't help by how unbelievable Pulp were beforehand. 

1 minute ago, Xeph1995 said:

Whats wrong with Artists having fun? I'm not the biggest AM fan but Ive always enjoyed them when I've seen them. I actually really like covers too more big bands should do them, nothing wrong with that imo.

Nothing wrong with them having fun, but reports from that tour seem to suggest it was to the detriment of the sets (I wasn't there). I love a good cover too, and AM/TLSP have done many great ones. The timing of it at second song in the set is trolling a bit though, don't you think?

However, their gigs since (my experience and most others, but not some in this forum) have been much better, especially the shows in the UK. 

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

everyone that was in uni and attending indie discos from 2002-2007, yeah.

outside of that, most people wouldn't have a clue. that list of songs a few pages back is pretty funny, I'd say most Glasto goers know Last Nite and maybe 3 more to hear.

to most people, even ones with an active interest in "non-chart" music, The Strokes are washed-up relics that most would be surprised are still actually together, let alone making (largely ignored) music.

My experience has been very different here, I think you have oversimplified a bit. 

Reading 2011, my group were all 17 years old, The Strokes were THE band for us to see that year. A lot of that group were the very typical Post GCSE go to Reading for 4 days drinking away from your parents type.

I mentioned the rumour in our group chat the other day, universal positive responses. This group is a mix of seasoned festival goers and also people who go to maybe 1 stadium sized gig a year. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

He's a mixed old bag. A sort of inverse Morrissey. Not a nasty racist but is a nasty wildlife killer. Allegedly.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Just passed through North Greenwich where kids are already assembling en masses ahead of The 1975 tonight. Average age must be about 15!

Oh balls, I'm popping there to the cinema on the way home. At least none of them will be driving there I guess!