2019 Headliners

rzwodezwo

4 minutes ago, The Placid Casual said:

What?

As in, there can be hundreds of pages on whether an act is past it or whether it really needs to come back or whether it’s a boring booking, yet Chemical Brothers manage to sidestep all this and somehow even present themselves as the preferred alternative. Though I do realise the shouts for them to headline the Pyramid won’t have been with total conviction.

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Think he's implying that Go and MAH are nowhere near being the song of their respective years.

Not specifically but also yes.

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As in, there can be hundreds of pages on whether an act is past it or whether it really needs to come back or whether it’s a boring booking, yet Chemical Brothers manage to sidestep all this and somehow even present themselves as the preferred alternative. Though I do realise the shouts for them to headline the Pyramid won’t have been with total conviction.

It's a fair point. I'm a big fan of the Chemical Brothers but I can admit that is largely built around nostalgia of my big clubbing years in the 2000s. I think if we're being honest 'Born In The Echoes' wasn't great so you need to go back to 2010 to find the last good record they made, however as you say no one bats an eyelid about them being a shoe-in for one of the highest slots on the bill outside Pyramid headliner. 

Having said that MAH is an absolutely banger and suggests they've found their way again.

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

This whole no one knows the Strokes songs thing, I started the car yesterday morning, the radio was tuned to RadioX, and the they were halfway through playing Hard to Explain. They're definitely still on a fairly decent rotation.

Can't believe people are out here saying The Strokes don't have enough songs to headline a festival that Arcade Fire headlined a few years back.

Was listening to Is This It yesterday and Hard to Explain is gonna bang hard on the Pyramid.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's a fair point. I'm a big fan of the Chemical Brothers but I can admit that is largely built around nostalgia of my big clubbing years in the 2000s. I think if we're being honest 'Born In The Echoes' wasn't great so you need to go back to 2010 to find the last good record they made, however as you say no one bats an eyelid about them being a shoe-in for one of the highest slots on the bill outside Pyramid headliner. 

Having said that MAH is an absolutely banger and suggests they've found their way again.

The Chems last set at Glastonbuty was the best time I''ve ever seen them there, and it was rammed. (I saw them at Besitval later that year too and it was just as good.) They've def got enough goodwill etc in the tank to do the Other Stage headliner slot again.

• Upvote 1

Aye, don't get me wrong, with Macca no longer happening it's highly unlikely there would be anything on elsewhere that would stop me going to see them again but I think it's fair to say that they're trading on the goodwill from previous live performances rather than because of their output over the last decade. Not necessarily a bad thing for a festival headliner mind.

46 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Yep, can't lie I enjoyed that Chems set as much as I enjoyed LCD Soundsystem the following year. Helps that I was absolutely trashed but god damn it was amazing. I actually instantly put it up there with Nick Cave and Radiohead as the best shows I've seen.

Sunday has somehow stolen the show at my last three Glastos: Chems, LCD and Justice!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Actually, I'm going to call bullshit on myself. I don't think I've ever actually listened to This Is It the whole way through. I've put on the occasional non "Last Nite" song by them and usually either turn it off or totally tune out before the end. I'll have to actually listen to it now, even if I'm not expecting it to be my thing.

I'll post back with my impressions.

Whenever you have a spare 35 minutes...

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not if it gets boring because it's another variation on the same idea over and over.

Actually, I'm going to call bullshit on myself. I don't think I've ever actually listened to This Is It the whole way through. I've put on the occasional non "Last Nite" song by them and usually either turn it off or totally tune out before the end. I'll have to actually listen to it now, even if I'm not expecting it to be my thing.

I'll post back with my impressions.

I can't do it.  I tried the title track, gave up and skipped to "Hard To Explain" because it rocks so hard. Couldn't finish it. I suppose at least I know the actual name of the album now.  I always thought people were giving a pithy review when they said "Is this it".

Hard pass from me.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I can't do it.  I tried the title track, gave up and skipped to "Hard To Explain" because it rocks so hard. Couldn't finish it. I suppose at least I know the actual name of the album now.  I always thought people were giving a pithy review when they said "Is this it".

Hard pass from me.

In the interests of research I had the album on while painting yesterday. It is a perfectly ok indie album. Very one note in tone though and I only recognised 3 songs.  In fairness I think I was too old when it came out.

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hard pass from me.

You should be forced to remove one of your hats. 

27 minutes ago, Homer said:

Sunday has somehow stolen the show at my last three Glastos: Chems, LCD and Justice!

Unfortunately I don't remember Justice but they were amazing at Mad Cool last year. Don't think they'd have been able to steal the show after Radiohead on Friday, though.

23 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Pack it in ffs

What mate? Arcade Fire are the better band but there's no denying The Strokes have more songs the Pyramid crowd will know.