Next Announcement 2017 Thread

Gnomicide

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

that's what Scott just said. :lol:

Meanwhile the PR has come back and said " It’s the longest running electronic music festival" to which I said "oh well, too late, you've already blown it".

A quick google search for longest running electronic music festivals and there are numerous that have supposedly been running longer. These include - Earthcore (Aus), VuuV (Ger), Kazantip (Ukr) Mayday (Ger), Black & Blue (Can) - all started before 1993. Whether they are all exclusively dance festivals I don't know.

It does say on the same page that Mysteryland bills itself as the oldest dance music festival in the Netherlands? Now they think its the world?

8 minutes ago, mjsell said:

A quick google search for longest running electronic music festivals and there are numerous that have supposedly been running longer. These include - Earthcore (Aus), VuuV (Ger), Kazantip (Ukr) Mayday (Ger), Black & Blue (Can) - all started before 1993. Whether they are all exclusively dance festivals I don't know.

It does say on the same page that Mysteryland bills itself as the oldest dance music festival in the Netherlands? Now they think its the world?

thanks. Have just googled those and they all look like dance fests to me, so have batted them back at them. :P

I like having the most excellent team of researchers. :lol:

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I thought that too but then they only played for about 2 hours 15 I think? And plus why would they need to ask the Eavi to play 3 hours on that night - they could've played for as long as they wanted to really. The festival itself is the one where they'll have time restrictions in place.

I saw FF in the US back in 2011 (not a much of a fan tbh, but I was there as a guest of The Joy Formidable who were supporting) I saw them twice, and on each night Dave spent about half an hour banging on about how "we're gonna play 3 hours plus, not like most bands" blah blah blah and on both nights they only played about 2 hours 40. And a lot of that was Dave talking.

I know about half a dozen songs by Grohl and Co and whilst they’ll not be on my list of must see’s, I’d have tolerated them if there was nothing else to see. Three hours of them will be far too much to sit through though. It’ll be the Jacksons and an early dart SE if its them v Alt-J v FF. 

I’m quite pleased with the lineup so far though. That WH Saturday is up there with its 2008 Friday (Candi/Lupe) and 2011 Saturday (Janelle/Big Boi).

44 minutes ago, ericlered said:

I saw FF in the US back in 2011 (not a much of a fan tbh, but I was there as a guest of The Joy Formidable who were supporting) I saw them twice, and on each night Dave spent about half an hour banging on about how "we're gonna play 3 hours plus, not like most bands" blah blah blah and on both nights they only played about 2 hours 40. And a lot of that was Dave talking.

Took me a moment to work out you meant Foo Fighters not FloorFiller then

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

31st March for the poster I think.

Nothing to base that on apart from they like to keep us waiting.

My birthday. I will take one for the team and forego presents and cake on the basis that the poster gods recognise this and bestow us with a line up poster. (With Flaming Lips headlining JP).

17 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Does anyone know the reason why GF choose to have a ‘long list’ of acts playing rather than splitting up who is playing day by day? I always feel that March’s release is almost an anti-climax as you never know the full extent of the clashes.

Most festivals do that to start with, though, don't they? Maybe not the big ones, but I often feel like you get a dump of names first and stage and day splits follow a lot later.

I agree it's frustrating, though. When I last went in 2015 we got super excited about seeing Hopkins, Leftfield and Parliament and then had to choose just one, for example. And it's very late in the day when you find out the bad news. June for the day splits innit?

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Most festivals do that to start with, though, don't they? Maybe not the big ones, but I often feel like you get a dump of names first and stage and day splits follow a lot later.

I agree it's frustrating, though. When I last went in 2015 we got super excited about seeing Hopkins, Leftfield and Parliament and then had to choose just one, for example. And it's very late in the day when you find out the bad news. June for the day splits innit?

Yeah most do, but I’ve always thought that other fests have done that to optimise sales from people who might be put off by clashes. Glastonbury has the luxury of selling out without an act announced.

Suppose it keeps us busy on here.

Just now, Badlands said:

Yeah most do, but I’ve always thought that other fests have done that to optimise sales from people who might be put off by clashes. Glastonbury has the luxury of selling out without an act announced.

Suppose it keeps us busy on here.

Ah yeah, I guess that makes sense. And I think the ones that do announce day splits early are probably also those that sell day tickets.

Knowing little to nothing about how to organise a festival, I can only assume it takes an absolute mammoth amount of effort to allocate days and times to all the smaller acts. But it would be nice to get a bit more info than we do with the big poster. I suppose at least they always reveal which days the headliners are on, but then that doesn't matter too much if we don't know who they're up against. 

Don't mean to sound ungrateful though as would love to get anything right now! And as you say it gives us something to talk about...

25 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Does anyone know the reason why GF choose to have a ‘long list’ of acts playing rather than splitting up who is playing day by day? I always feel that March’s release is almost an anti-climax as you never know the full extent of the clashes.

Lots of the bookings get made later than you might think (tho it of course varies year on year, and with different bookers doing it differently), so I'm not entirely sure they're able to give a better breakdown unless it was going to be one with lots of holes in.

From bits and pieces I get to hear, the booking process it certainly still happening for the bigger stages to some extent into April - tho that might only be getting contracts sorted and signed, but which needs doing before announcements.

I imagine the 3 hours was a bit of on stage banter,  i wont be seeing ed but i think the headliners are very strong this year.

Moon shaped pool was a great album,  EDS new one will i imagine sell 6 billion records and the foo fighters will be good fun, probaly wheel out some suprise guest like a 100 year old jimmy page. 

27 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah that side of things can be really frustrating, but I do find that by not showing the clashes I discover far more music. If I knew an act clashed with someone at the top of my 'to see list' I wouldnt even bother giving them a listen. At least this way I discover more acts that then make clashes even worse when the splits do eventually arrive :P

20 minutes ago, monkey1989 said:

I imagine the 3 hours was a bit of on stage banter,  i wont be seeing ed but i think the headliners are very strong this year.

Moon shaped pool was a great album,  EDS new one will i imagine sell 6 billion records and the foo fighters will be good fun, probaly wheel out some suprise guest like a 100 year old jimmy page. 

3 hours blimey I'll have to be near a toilet at my age :lol:

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

We had the same issue for Leftfield vs Hopkins.

Also we were really looking forward to the Pixies, Manics, Robert Plant and Jack White..... so they put them all at the same times. GREAT!

32 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Also we were really looking forward to the Pixies, Manics, Robert Plant and Jack White..... so they put them all at the same times. GREAT!

Ha, yeah, I feel your pain there too! Planned to see Pixies and Jack White and ended up seeing Robert Plant and Manics instead...

See also: Nick Cave vs Pumpkins. Although that one wasn't too bad in the end as I managed to see all of Cave and most of Pumpkins. Didn't stop me stressing for weeks, mind.

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ha, yeah, I feel your pain there too! Planned to see Pixies and Jack White and ended up seeing Robert Plant and Manics instead...

See also: Nick Cave vs Pumpkins. Although that one wasn't too bad in the end as I managed to see all of Cave and most of Pumpkins. Didn't stop me stressing for weeks, mind.

Also, re the first clash, didn't Anna Calvi and John Grant fall into that timeframe too? Gutted to miss those two!

37 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Add Goldfrapp on that list - That was one of the most horrific clashes in 2014