Kings of Leon

willd255

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

you guys do know it's not real, right? :P it was from when they played Reading and were pissed at the crowd for only knowing their recent hits, but the sound has been edited

Ah OK.  Makes more sense.

I don't get bad reactions when crowd don't know your stuff.  I remember Springsteen realising that he wasn't going to get a big singalong from the crowd so he just ran with it.

48 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah OK.  Makes more sense.

I don't get bad reactions when crowd don't know your stuff.  I remember Springsteen realising that he wasn't going to get a big singalong from the crowd so he just ran with it.

the crowd at KoL were reacting well to everything. I heard that weekend that there might have been an issue with their on stage monitors that would usually give them a gauge of how the crowd was reacting, so they thought no one was enjoying it but in reality there were a lot of people lapping it up. I think it was a windy one so perhaps the mics in the crowd weren't picking up as much as they should. Of course this was all a long time ago and I know very little about such things so I may have been fed a load of rubbish. 

• 1 month later...

Spotted this on the BBC. Is that enough to justify calling them a rumour? For a secret set, if not as headliners. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37654801

It's been eight years since you headlined Glastonbury. Would you do it again?

Most definitely. We love Glastonbury. I think that was the first festival we ever played in Europe. Do they still do it where it's on one year, off one year to let the grass grow?

There's a break every couple of years. So it's on next year, but off in 2018.

OK, then we'll have to get on it in 2017. I'll have to text Mr Eavis.

1 hour ago, tolywoly said:

Spotted this on the BBC. Is that enough to justify calling them a rumour? For a secret set, if not as headliners. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37654801

It's been eight years since you headlined Glastonbury. Would you do it again?

Most definitely. We love Glastonbury. I think that was the first festival we ever played in Europe. Do they still do it where it's on one year, off one year to let the grass grow?

There's a break every couple of years. So it's on next year, but off in 2018.

OK, then we'll have to get on it in 2017. I'll have to text Mr Eavis.

Cue six months of reading into the fact Kings of Leon's drummer knows who Michael is??? They would be a worse booking than The Who. Not gonna happen.

Just now, Little Andy said:

I love their early stuff, don't mind their middle stuff, and haven't heard their later stuff. Given the failure of their previous album (according to the bbc article), would they accept Pyramid Sub, or Other Headliner? Or not? Or indeed maybe they are the 3rd Headliner.

The last album didn't even really 'fail', it still hit number one and went platinum in the UK.. one of those bands nobody seems to be a fan of yet still sells loads of records. Neither current or classic enough to headline Glastonbury any more.

Kings of Leon are certainly headliners or nothing. Saw them in 2013 and 2014 at Manchester Arena and they have the worst crowds of any band I've ever seen. So many people there just for the two massive hits. Like, they did either Sex on Fire or Use Somebody second last (can't remember which), and then as they started Black Thumbnail half the people there just left. Not to mention the fact that in 2014 they opened with Charmer and going off most people's reactions you'd assume they'd never heard it before, and this was being stood quite near the front. Very dull crowd to be a part of and I imagine it would be even worse at a festival so I don't really want them to be booked despite being a fan. 

But yeah it's not gonna happen again at Glasto anyway. 

Disappointed for the lack of love for Because of the Times, people state that the first two albums were the only good ones. but for me Because of the Times was their peak without a shadow of a doubt. On Call, Fans were both great singles, then you had the incredible Knocked Up, Arizona, Black Thumbnail to boot. 

16 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Disappointed for the lack of love for Because of the Times, people state that the first two albums were the only good ones. but for me Because of the Times was their peak without a shadow of a doubt. On Call, Fans were both great singles, then you had the incredible Knocked Up, Arizona, Black Thumbnail to boot. 

Couldnt agree more. They are very unfairly treated on here imo. Yes they have been shit since 2010 but I'm not having people slate them for their first 3 albums (Only by the night - is an absolutely anomaly of an album that my opinion of changes on a regular basis)

Their new album is not terrible.

19 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I wouldn't say it was unfair. Majority either think they're w*nk, or liked their earlier stuff and switched off when they started tossing out shitty stuff. 

Yeah fair enough. They are the classic dickish 'I like their early stuff' sort of band - and completely justified.

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Yep my favourite album of theirs. Hard to believe just a year later they'd release Only by the Night and it'd all start going downhill so quickly

Listened to their new album twice now - first time I went in with zero/low expectations and thought 'hmm this isn't too bad'. Second time I went in with newly heightened expectations and realised no, wait, it's pretty crap

11 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah fair enough. They are the classic dickish 'I like their early stuff' sort of band - and completely justified.

I find myself conflicted by them, because I normally cannot abide that sort of 'liked them before they became famous' attitude that's prevalent in the music world. Yet, that's exactly how I feel about them. 

I'm quite tempted to give that album a go, despite not listening to an LP by them since Only by the Night.

The worst thing they ever did was shave those beards off and get a haircut, went from gritty angry southern rock songs about hookers, transvestites and drugs to sprawling bollecks where every chorus is a noise (Whoooooooa, Whoa Whoa Whoaaa Whoa)

Love those first two albums though