Kings of Leon

willd255

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

I find myself conflicted by them, because I normally cannot abide that sort of 'liked them before they became famous' attitude that's prevalent in the music world. Yet, that's exactly how I feel about them. 

I'm quite tempted to give that album a go, despite not listening to an LP by them since Only by the Night.

I wouldn't really feel conflicted about it. I hate that attitude too, but in this case it's certainly legitimate. Their sound changed completely after two albums. Compare the guitar sound on 'Four Kicks' (or anything off 'Aha Shake Heartbreak' for that matter) to anything off the next album - apples and oranges. I loved that absolutely filthy sound on the first two albums.

Edited by majormajormajor

5 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

Also on the Because of the Times train. That was the album they headlined off the back of right? That was a decent show. Haven't listened to an album since.

yep, and Only by the Night came out later that year. their Glastonbury set was the peak time for them i think - touring an ace album with two other great albums behind them and played two of the better songs from the upcoming would-be disappointment album that was the start of their downfall. wish i'd had seen it, although they were ace at Leeds the year before subbing *shudder* Razorlight

8 hours ago, Badlands said:

I find myself conflicted by them, because I normally cannot abide that sort of 'liked them before they became famous' attitude that's prevalent in the music world. Yet, that's exactly how I feel about them. 

I'm quite tempted to give that album a go, despite not listening to an LP by them since Only by the Night.

Very big difference though between stopping liking a band purely because they're now famous and stopping liking a band cos they've decided to produce monumentally shit music to make themselves famous and sell records. That's entirely understandable, and seems to be most people's view on KOL 

7 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:
3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

yep, and Only by the Night came out later that year. their Glastonbury set was the peak time for them i think - touring an ace album with two other great albums behind them and played two of the better songs from the upcoming would-be disappointment album that was the start of their downfall. wish i'd had seen it, although they were ace at Leeds the year before subbing *shudder* Razorlight

Loved kings of Leon headline set, there first 3 albums in my opinion were excellent, what they've produced since has been rubbish

13 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

VIP tickets?? Ok, this is a story I need to hear on Wednesday evening next year! :D

Nothing to tell unfortunately! Went to the bar in the back for an hour, walked by some BBC vans and got bored. Didn't go back again. Full of too cool to go see a gig industry type tosspots.

1 hour ago, StLewi said:

Playing a surprise show tonight at a 600-capacity venue in London. Tickets on sale at 1pm...http://www.gigwise.com/news/108373/kings-of-leon-surprise-show-london-229-new-album-walls-tour-new-video

I work in the building next door (can look down into the queue), I'm free tonight and can afford it.

Still can't be arsed to go.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned...but it's worth noting their UK tour doesn't include a London date. So most likely there is an in or around London show/festival with a barring clause preventing them from doing one. So it highly doubtful it will be Glastonbury. Could possibly be R&L, as everyone has said, but they do have a Leeds show on sale as well, but I guess the time difference between the then and the festival will be enough not to be an issue. Perhaps another Hyde Park gig is on the cards.

I'd agree with others, the first three albums were all really good. 

Then Only By the Night came out and now every wedding I go to you see virtually everyone dancing to Sex is On Fire, fun for all the family 4 to 94.

Thing is though, I seen them a number of times before OBTN and always found them incredibly dull live. On record they are great but never seem interested when they performed live.

Seen them once after OBTN and as mentioned elsewhere it was like going to see a one hit wonder act (The New Radicals) with the majority of the crowd waiting for that one song. It may have been 6, 7 years but I have no intention of seeing them again.

I'd put them in a category alongside Eagles of Death Metal and Biffy Clyro. They're like randy teenagers; a big wash of sexy thrashing that ultimately goes nowhere.

Glad they're not being touted as headliners - that would be a big let down for the Pyramid. Maybe as Other headliners to keep the young 'uns happy

12 minutes ago, Cornelius_Fudge said:

I'd put them in a category alongside Eagles of Death Metal and Biffy Clyro. They're like randy teenagers; a big wash of sexy thrashing that ultimately goes nowhere.

Glad they're not being touted as headliners - that would be a big let down for the Pyramid. Maybe as Other headliners to keep the young 'uns happy

Sexy thrashing doesn't have to go anywhere - if it's done well. 

Just like their first two albums and EODM. 

7 minutes ago, Villa Rosie said:

Sexy thrashing doesn't have to go anywhere - if it's done well. 

Just like their first two albums and EODM. 

I like some of Kings of Leon's early work, but I couldn't say the same for any of EODM or Biffy Clyro's stuff.

For me, they've got nothing good going for them aside from the image that they push of being cool/sexy