Kings of Leon

willd255

41 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Really enjoyed that KoL set in 2008. They were great until the sex of fire album and then unlistenable afterwards.  

They can still play big venues in the UK but they seem like a band with no momentum or relevance. 

Secret slot for 1 hour where they smashed out stuff from the first 3 albums I'd be interested in. 

Nothing else. 

Agree with all of that… they are the band that I’ve loved the most that I don’t like anymore. Lost me after ‘Because of the times’.

On call and Charmer still bang though. 

56 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Really enjoyed that KoL set in 2008. They were great until the sex of fire album and then unlistenable afterwards.  

They can still play big venues in the UK but they seem like a band with no momentum or relevance. 

Secret slot for 1 hour where they smashed out stuff from the first 3 albums I'd be interested in. 

Nothing else. 

8 minutes ago, stuie said:

Agree with all of that… they are the band that I’ve loved the most that I don’t like anymore. Lost me after ‘Because of the times’.

On call and Charmer still bang though. 

There's still loads of great tunes since Sex on Fire. They haven't released a bad album, just not hit previous heights.

15 hours ago, Superscally said:

There's still loads of great tunes since Sex on Fire. They haven't released a bad album, just not hit previous heights.

Agree with this, consistently releasing good music. Always felt a lot of people were alienated from the style change of the third to fourth album and then wrote the band off.

That being said, live they won't win any new fans. Very much, they turn up, play the songs and leave. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Superscally said:

There is, they’re just not consistent. Theres 3 or 4 per album.

I saw them in Glasgow in 2018 and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Not a headliner at Glastonbury anymore though. They haven’t got enough mass appeal songs for ‘turn up-play-thanks-get off’ to carry.

1 hour ago, Sparticus said:

That being said, live they won't win any new fans. Very much, they turn up, play the songs and leave. 

I remember Caleb being a lot more talkative than I expected when I saw them at Milton Keynes Bowl in 2014. But yes, they are very much more of a no-frills live act. Almost shoegaze-like in presentation.

19 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

It's quite something tbf about how Glastonbury 2008 was the end of that part of the band's story, given that while Crawl & Manhattan would be on Only By The Night, Sex on Fire had yet to come out. When they came back to the UK for V Festival to sub-headline The Verve later that year (a sentence that looks quite odd written down ngl), it had been released.

11 minutes ago, SalviaPlath said:

They're very much yesterday's men, their last concert in the UK was a gimmick for the billionaire owners of a football club, but the early catalogue is immense and a mid afternoon slot on the pyramid would be an attractive option. 

Wrexham's consortium featuring Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney is worth that much?

7 hours ago, Sparticus said:

Agree with this, consistently releasing good music. Always felt a lot of people were alienated from the style change of the third to fourth album and then wrote the band off.

Every album has at least 2-3 great tracks for me, sometimes more

19 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

There is, they’re just not consistent. Theres 3 or 4 per album.

I saw them in Glasgow in 2018 and enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Not a headliner at Glastonbury anymore though. They haven’t got enough mass appeal songs for ‘turn up-play-thanks-get off’ to carry.

...but that's all you can hope for with a band of seven or eight albums. I'm very happy if there are three or four good tunes on a U2 album now. Its all you need to keep a live show fresh too. They would smash a headline set, and a decent size crowd would love it, but no way they get given it, or there's a heap of moaning that they shouldn't have.

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

First three albums were great. Everything since has not been.

All personal preference isn't it, I do agree first 3 were fantastic.

I do think all their albums have at least 3/4 bangers on them though, would love them there this year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Havors said:

Makes me sad how miserable and dull KoL live performances became over time. Their back catalogue is brilliant... They just turned boring when they stopped drinking haha 

I remember when they subbed Oasis in 2004 at Glasto and they looked petrified.  Not a great performance and they only had their first album out at that point.  That said, seeing them indoors at the Norwich UEA a few years later on in 2007 and they were fantastic. Saw them 6 times over the course of 5 years in the 00's so they must have had something!

5 hours ago, Superscally said:

...but that's all you can hope for with a band of seven or eight albums. I'm very happy if there are three or four good tunes on a U2 album now. Its all you need to keep a live show fresh too. They would smash a headline set, and a decent size crowd would love it, but no way they get given it, or there's a heap of moaning that they shouldn't have.

Yeah that’s very true. Good point. They were never going to keep at the level of that first 3. 

• 1 month later...