Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

surprised that Ray Davies hasn't garnered at least an "R" with that 'phone' bit then. i have a hunch ("hope" more accurate) that we'll be getting The Pretenders this year (a few France dates near the weekend) and also have a long shot hunch (and a leftover guilty pleasure from the 80's) that Simple Minds might be playing since they finish up into the first week of June and they've been doing some acoustic shows with their last record. i reckon all 3 could be acoustic top of bill fodder....now that would be an interesting meeting of the past....

29 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

when Ray Davies did the acoustic in '09 who was he up against, was it the Springsteen night or the Shakey night? did he manage a big crowd still? did i miss something about Davies "on the phone" and him being a possibility for this year?

It was on the Friday night against Neil Young, and it was a decent sized crowd - I was about 3 quarters of the way back and it was still fairly busy but not dangerously so.

21 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If they're gonna have Gaga and Sheeran top one of the other days then I think we should be allowed to have a more alternative day :P no more 'alternative' than Plant > Jack White > Metallica, anyway, especially with the now hugely successful The xx in there.

I don't think they will have that myself though. Plant, Jack and Metallica benefit hugely from it being better ;)

8 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

1. Smaller stage

2. Fail on main stage

3. Recruit backing singers

4. Not do it and let DiRo have the glory.

4th is my fave. :)

Option 5:

D-Ro and Baz both play; both smash it because a couple of ropey instances of Baz not hitting the high notes don't guarantee that he's not a whole heap of fun live.

Just now, kingcrawler said:

Primal Scream and Steve Mason are supporting The Stone Roses on the Saturday of Glastonbury, I'm sure Primal Scream are playing in Ireland on Friday too so it's Sunday or nothing for them, more likely to be nothing imo.

Yeah what with them already having some high profile slots at the festival quite recently (well, twice in the last seven years) I'd say that's them more or less out. Flaming Lips for the oldie JP headliner then (not that there can only be one - I just expected only one of those two).

18 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

No, it's definitely an odd one. Last time they played up here as well as Primal Scream again they had The View and Buggy which is much more in line with their fanbase, and even then Bugg went down pretty poorly. I can't see Steve Mason faring any better.

Shame, as he will, by some margin, be the best on the bill.

Ben

2 hours ago, tevaburger said:

when Ray Davies did the acoustic in '09 who was he up against, was it the Springsteen night or the Shakey night? did he manage a big crowd still? did i miss something about Davies "on the phone" and him being a possibility for this year?

Brian Wilson in the acoustic would be amazing but he (or rather the Beach Boys tunes themselves perhaps) has that sort of 'mass appeal' as well that would see way too many wanting to get in there, whereas Art Garfunkel had more of that 'refined' appeal and still overbooked the place.

It was busy. And also my favourite Glastonbury set ever