Who's Touring Around Glastonbury 2017?

Gnomicide

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Art's voice was hit and miss. It wasn't like you were watching a guy who had completely lost his voice; he could still sing the hits, just not quite reach the same high notes. 

The intimate setting of the Acoustic tent also benefited him massively.

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

If all this pisses on my D-Ro bonfire I shall be venting spleen with a vengeance

I can't see all of Gibb, Wilson, Ross and Iggy all playing the Pyramid. One of them will have to make way I reckon. It's impossible they all play, but we don't usually get that older legends all in one year. 

Come to think of it, Gibb, Wilson, Ross and Iggy sounds like a set of sitcom characters.

What the fuck are people on about with Iggy?!

If Tame Impala, Paul Weller, Elbow, The Black Keys, Nick Cave, Pendulum, The Fratellis, The Kooks and the fucking Kaiser Chiefs can sub the Pyramid in recent years, Iggy Pop can most certainly do it. 

8 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

speaking of which, Burt can barely sing anymore and had his 3 singers do most of the songs, but it was still brilliant.

I lasted about 20 minutes and had to leave. I couldn't take any more of that cheeseball bluecoat singer he hired from Pontins. Half expected to hear him offer advice to grannies about where they can get extra thick tights. 

Edited by The Nal

Bazza sounded awful with Coldplay, only the atmosphere and situation allowed it to be overlooked. He should take that as his moment and not try to milk it.

The Brian Wilson gig gets easily through any Brain related weaknesses by other singers ... this was never a solo act anyway so nothing is really lost.

Art G managed it by the acoustic setting. He'd have been a complete disaster on a main stage.

So, the Gibbster has three, no four, choices. Take a small stage setting such as acoustic or avalon. Recruit a couple of hired hands to squeak him through the set, or fall on his arse. The fourth choice is my fave - give over and let Di Ro do the business*.

* Can Di Ro still sing live?

49 minutes ago, MattDavies__ said:

Iggy Pop in Cadiz in early May. Big gap between that and his late July shows in France. 

Must be hitting the UK, somewhere, at some point. 

More than any of the rest of the olides I want this one to happen. Him retiring without ever having done a solo slot at the festival would be a real shame. Let the Friday Pyramid A Tribe Called Quest > Iggy Pop > The xx > Radiohead dream come true!

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

More than any of the rest of the olides I want this one to happen. Him retiring without ever having done a solo slot at the festival would be a real shame. Let the Friday Pyramid A Tribe Called Quest > Iggy Pop > The xx > Radiohead dream come true!

Get rid of The XX and I'm with ya 

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Wouldn't it be dangerous (if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long). 

Reckon it'd be rammed up there.

Brian: wouldn't it be nice if we were older?

Acoustic Stage crowd: we couldn't get any older.

I've had Ray Davies mentally pinned for an Acoustic Stage headline slot since the whole "just had Ray Davies on the phone" business. Either the all-round stage bookings for this year are massive or its just our expectations. :P

Edited by dentalplan

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Wouldn't it be dangerous (if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long). 

Reckon it'd be rammed up there.

Dunno, really.  Would he be a bigger draw than, say, Ray Davies?

He headlined a tiny tent at TITP one year and although it was an almighty party I don't recall it being a risk to life and limb.

I think the last time we saw the Stooges on the Other/NME stage would stand as a fitting performance - I imagine anything he would do on the Pyramid would be exactly the same.

Although there is the comedy chair element - he came on at Hop Farm and a lot of the Chair people got trampled as the whole tone of the afternoon shifted, which I know shouldnt be a high point of a festival but was.

when Ray Davies did the acoustic in '09 who was he up against, was it the Springsteen night or the Shakey night? did he manage a big crowd still? did i miss something about Davies "on the phone" and him being a possibility for this year?

Brian Wilson in the acoustic would be amazing but he (or rather the Beach Boys tunes themselves perhaps) has that sort of 'mass appeal' as well that would see way too many wanting to get in there, whereas Art Garfunkel had more of that 'refined' appeal and still overbooked the place.

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

What the fuck are people on about with Iggy?!

If Tame Impala, Paul Weller, Elbow, The Black Keys, Nick Cave, Pendulum, The Fratellis, The Kooks and the fucking Kaiser Chiefs can sub the Pyramid in recent years, Iggy Pop can most certainly do it. 

Nicely said. The Fratellis and Kooks really subbed? Bloody hell.

Anyway Iggy's hardly a fading old rocker, his last record was fantastic and he continues to be just as relevant as ever.

6 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

when Ray Davies did the acoustic in '09 who was he up against, was it the Springsteen night or the Shakey night? did he manage a big crowd still? did i miss something about Davies "on the phone" and him being a possibility for this year?

There's a possibility it was just one of those things to work the crowd though, like.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Defo alternative stage.

If they're gonna have Gaga and Sheeran top one of the other days then I think we should be allowed to have a more alternative day :P no more 'alternative' than Plant > Jack White > Metallica, anyway, especially with the now hugely successful The xx in there.