Sunday Headliner confirmed - Coldplay

Glastobuddy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2005 - Near the front, awesome performance. Not expecting it and it blew my socks off

2011 - At the very back of the field with loads off people continously chatting - not great.

2016 - I will be at the front and can't wait, it will be fantastic ( despite the last 2 / 3 albums)

I'm sure its been posted more times than the spam above me but last year there was gossip of Chris Martin putting together a supergroup or some such nonsense. Surely with Rihanna in the country on the Friday and Beyonce gigging the following week there's got to be a slight chance of them showing up to perform their Coldplay colaboration songs? My daughter's would be bloody delighted.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Its hard to deny they are a Glastonbury band

Anyone think this will be the last time they do it?

I think it'll be their last time for a while. How long that while is is anybody's guess, but I'm starting to buy in to all this hiatus business. Regardless, you can be sure as soon as there are murmurs of them coming out of their hiatus they'll be straight back at the top of the lineup again. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to get some Chris Martin solo sets until then...

13 hours ago, buddiepaul said:

I watched Calexico at the Park, when Rolling Stones were on.  There could only have been a few hundred there, but to their credit, they put on a great show.

I saw Idlewild during the Who last year. Brilliant intimate gig. 

I was watching the Bootleg Beatles during the Stones, just to be ironic. Cracking gig! :) 

3 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

I saw Idlewild during the Who last year. Brilliant intimate gig. 

I was watching the Bootleg Beatles during the Stones, just to be ironic. Cracking gig! :) 

Funnily enough, I chose Idlewild as well last year over the Who.  Certainly did't regret it either, as it was darn good.

11 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Has anyone been over to the official Coldplay forums to see if they're panicking again about them spiltting up?

I can't go in there again. It's like grown adults having an online pyjama party.

I'd rather have Gary Glitters entire internet browsing history than a single occurrence of "coldplay forums". 

7 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I was at Goat - who were brilliant. Saw Idlewild for the first time last year in a small venue. Cracking. Bet it was great in Avalon.

Goat were amazing and turned out to be my defacto sunday headliner. Probably a bit much to expect them to return this year, would love to see them again, and dress up appropriately too!

13 hours ago, Beaver89 said:

They are in a unique position in the market to take genuine risks and break new acts and they haven't.

But that's not really their job is it? They're in a weird situation in that whoever they give the 'headline' slot to will probably get a load of coverage by the BBC but that's kinda coincidental to their job of putting on the best show possible for the punters. And the punters have a chance to see tons of new bands across the site all weekend.

The other thing worth noting, because of the 'special relationship', the festival probably got them for cheap. They likely didn't cost more than Kasabian or Mumfords. They're the cheaper third headliner option.

With the 'Legend' slot becoming a defacto fourth headliner, I'd argue in recent years that a bit too much of the festival budget has been spent on those four slots. The impression I get is that budgets have been tight, especially on the much smaller stages. Coldplay are a nice way to get a world-class headliner and save a bit of money, which we'll hopefully see the benefits of elsewhere.

(And because the figures are so disparate it can have a huge impact - I'd wager the difference between Coldplay's fee and Kanye's was around 10x the budget of the entire theatre field acts bill).

I was drinking heavily on the Sunday and was bolloxed by Patti Smith so I really enjoyed The Who. 

Saw Coldplay one of the times they played for a few tunes (the time they had the green lasers) but had to leave when he did the "best festival in historeeeeeeee" bit during that open up your eyes song. I went for a shit.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I hope he's got alcohol poisoning and now can't mate the festival. 

Bad gnome!

A little harsh but fair I suppose.

I just hope he woke up and had a proper walk of shame at 11am in last nights clothes, hoping he isn't spotted by anyone he knows as he sneaks in his front door with a sliced pan and a pint of milk.