Sunday Headliner confirmed - Coldplay

Glastobuddy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

The 5 year thing is a little false though. It's only 3 festivals without them. (2013, 2014, 2015) I wouldn't mind it being their 4th time if there was a bigger interval in between. 

REM headlined twice with only a 2 festival gap and no-one seemed to mind at the time. It's not unprecedented.

I don't like them but it's still a better booking than Mumfords or Kasabian by a country mile.

14 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

It's not about sitting at the Pyramid all weekend, last year I only saw Florence but it was a big part of my weekend, seeing a headliner at the Pyramid - it's one of the great memories. We've a few newbies coming this year and I'd be gutted if there was no one over the three slots they'd be interested in seeing.

It would be but you end up doing it at the expense of another great memory regardless.

With all that's wrong in the world if Felicity Jones from her ivory tower really thinks this is worth starting a petiition about i really do despair, I would LOVE to know what stunning acts she would prefer ?? I fully support the idea start a petition against any headliner = lifetime ban from all festivals.  

2 minutes ago, psb said:

With all that's wrong in the world if Felicity Jones from her ivory tower really thinks this is worth starting a petiition about i really do despair, I would LOVE to know what stunning acts she would prefer ?? I fully support the idea start a petition against any headliner = lifetime ban from all festivals.  

I'd take it further than that. Death, or at the very least, life imprisonment,

11 minutes ago, psb said:

It's not clear, but shes actually taking the piss. She's worded it identically to the guy who did the Kanye petition last year.

EDIT: I think.

Edited by Andeeroo

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

REM headlined twice with only a 2 festival gap and no-one seemed to mind at the time. It's not unprecedented.

I don't like them but it's still a better booking than Mumfords or Kasabian by a country mile.

Exactly, people lost all room to bleat about who headlines after Mumfords did it. Kasabian were booked the following year to prove that point.

It does make me larff how many people insult Coldplay for being bland but think the Foos are great.

I like Coldplay, I do, but the break-up-with-Gwen album was pants and I've not really enjoyed their new one as much either, and it also feels like they only played a few years ago so I have mixed feelings.  I'll see them if there's no one else I'd rather watch, but I'm sort of hoping there will be 

I agree with the sentiment above...the Pyramid stage is only a tiny element of the festival, and actually the common denominator between Glastonbury and all of the other festivals.  Go elsewhere and see some unique Glastonbury experiences.

I am not a great Coldplay fan, so I will probably take the opportunity to wander around with my mates seeing things you will not see elsewhere.  In the last few years I have ignored the final headline set and have seen a bizarre theatre set around a burger van, a blinding Peatbog Faeries set and also excellent acts in the circus fields.

1 hour ago, 6t6o6m said:

The crowd will be huge, everyone will be singing. This will not ruin anyone's weekend, so why get hot under the collar about it.

Which means that those of us seeing other bands on other stages will have less competition and will be able to get to the front :)

1 hour ago, 6t6o6m said:

The crowd will be huge, everyone will be singing. This will not ruin anyone's weekend, so why get hot under the collar about it.

Indeed. They were actually very good last time but their recorded output has gone seriously downhill since.

If there is nothing else that I want to see, I'd go along depending on how their setlists had been looking prior to the festival but I hope to be elsewhere. 

Wilco, we're looking at you!

Really wish i could afford to go, although i am seeing them in Manchester my dream would be to see them at Glastonbury, and this could well be their last time!  

They are a fantastic band with a diverse back catalogue, there's something for everyone, and if you don't like them just don't go see them.  The whole "its cool to hate Coldplay and act angry about it" is really getting old now.   Music is universal and everybody in the world has their own unique tastes.

3 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Which means that those of us seeing other bands on other stages will have less competition and will be able to get to the front :)

I watched Calexico at the Park, when Rolling Stones were on.  There could only have been a few hundred there, but to their credit, they put on a great show.

I'm really happy with this. I'd seen Coldplay in 2000 and 2005 at Glastonbury as well as the Isle Of Wight and thought they were a superior live band with an uplifting anthem quality. In 2011  I decided to watch the Chemical Brothers. Pretty good I thought  Then I watched Coldplay on the BBC and was gutted that I'd missed another outstanding live set. I won't miss them this time and I have a feeling they will have plenty of guests to make up for the deja vu feeling - Beyonce obviously, Jay Z perhaps and just maybe a certain T Swizzle.

Edited by Martin Ashford

I am a Coldplay fan. They were my favourite band until Frank Turner blasted into my life and the first band I ever saw live. I've seen them multiple times including Glastonbury 2011. I've got tickets for the week before Glastonbury at Wembley too. I am happy and annoyed at the same time about this booking

Happy as I might get to see a headliner at a smaller stage like the Park or John Peel (only done the three big stages so far). I'm annoyed however at a missed opportunity by the Festival. They are in a unique position in the market to take genuine risks and break new acts and they haven't. They've gone for the safest name in festival headliners for the 4th time in 13 years when there are a plethora of acts that could have made great new headliners (while remaining Radio 1 / BBC friendly as seems their prerogative these days)

Disappointed. But as we all say - there is plenty else to go at!