Sunday Headliner confirmed - Coldplay

Glastobuddy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they aren't a bad booking really. Repetitive- yes. They are an absolute banker for a big crowd for the closing pyramid headliner though. Regardless of how they split opinion they will have a huge crowd and unfortunately for those without tickets it will make those resale chances a little worse. If Adele is confirmed i think it will crash the site on resale day again.

I like the fact the uproar has started now it's official,

It's not any different to any other festival, they have been the bookies favourite to headline since pretty much the end of last years festival (except maybe Foo Fighters for obvious reasons)

It's like people went in to ticket day and followed the rumour mill casually and expecting something completely legendary and leftfield to headline the festival which makes no sense at all.

I understand disapointment though.

A lot of people don't expect to see the end of a festival at all alternative stage to the main stage i guess but that's whats great about Glastonbury, plenty of good options across the site, which luckily you get here and probably not in most other festivals.

At the end of the day it's one act of hundreds at the festival. My main issue with the Coldplay booking is not the band itself (music taste is a subjective thing and you cannot please everyone, and people DO like Coldplay), it's the rebooking of an act that has already headlined the festival THREE times. I'd like to think that Glastonbury festival of all places could throw us something a different on the Pyramid stage.

This is very much a cosy and safe booking that is just a bit dull and lacks imagination. When you sell out a festival before you even announce one act this should give you the freedom to experiment a little. I'm hoping that at least one of the other headliners will cause a Metallica/Kanye style furore to keep everyone on their toes.

1 hour ago, Slugworth said:

Didnt take long. Pathetic really.

when I saw that, I assumed it was meant to be a comedic thing.. faux-outrage if you like, a play on the Kanye thing from last year..

I'm not so sure now!

I don't like Coldplay, but they're far from offensive to my ears , more of an annoying tinnitus feeling than anything else.. and as everyone has pointed out,.. it's not like you have to go and watch them!

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Are you Coldplay fans...ashamed? Embarrassed to 'publically' admit your love for them? Or are they universally just 'hmn, ok...meh'?

1 hour ago, Woffy said:
???

We just don't like the down votes.

Edited by Couchy
Shite internet

Booking one of the biggest bands in the world (which like it or not, Coldplay are) as a UK festival exclusive can never be classed as a 'bad' booking. And it'll be 5 years since they last played so it's not like it's too recent to be re-booked. 

However at the same time, it's just such a safe and uninspiring booking it's hard to get many people excited buy it. Or get people talking (ala Kanye last year). There's nothing to get people overly excited or overly angry by this booking ... It's just a bit 'ready salted crisps and a bottle of water please'. So inoffensive that  strong emotions cannot kick in  

I'll likely be elsewhere (if I even get a ticket in the resale!), but then wouldn't complain if not much else takes my fancy and they end up closing the festival for me.

Edited by st dan

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

I think Emily needs to consider whether inviting her close personal friends to play over and over again is really the best way to inject variety into the festival line up.

Probably not. But the other 99 or so stages can do that. Coldplay have too big a draw to play elsewhere. Not a fan of them at all but I can understand the booking.

(And they'll do it a lot cheaper than most acts, which means more money for the rest of the festival and lower down the stages - which I'm pretty happy about. Things have seemed quite squeezed the last few years.).

If anyone I like is playing when they are on then I will not watch them but if they are my only option then I will. I've seen them before at Glastonbury and had an ok time and am sure I would again.

43 minutes ago, st dan said:

However at the same time, it's just such a safe and uninspiring booking it's hard to get many people excited buy it. Or get people talking (ala Kanye last year).

Which makes me think is there going to be another Kanye-esque "surprise" booking or is that going to be in the shape of warbling cockney bird?

4 hours ago, Withakay said:

No, I'm just not a former raver trying to relive the glory years. Made the mistake of watching them in 2011 and felt like the only person in the field who wasn't on a shed load of disco biscuits. Plus I don't do dancing - singing is my thing! The only Sundays that haven't ended on a whimper for me were 2009 (Blur), 2011 (Queens of the Stone Age) and last year (Ryan Adams). Stevie Wonder was ok but we had to watch through the trees from from the field next door cos it was so full!

I think you must be following me around. You have insanely good taste in music ;-) 

Does it really matter who the headliners are? plenty of other places and bands to go and see. I don't see the point in turning up at Glastonbury just sit at the pyramid stage all weekend. and as for the numpties that will give up their ticket, I can't see why you would do that just because a band you don't like are playing, but hey, I've got friends that need tickets in the resale so crack on and give as many up as you can... Rant over 

6 minutes ago, Deano77 said:

Does it really matter who the headliners are? plenty of other places and bands to go and see. I don't see the point in turning up at Glastonbury just sit at the pyramid stage all weekend. and as for the numpties that will give up their ticket, I can't see why you would do that just because a band you don't like are playing, but hey, I've got friends that need tickets in the resale so crack on and give as many up as you can... Rant over 

It's not about sitting at the Pyramid all weekend, last year I only saw Florence but it was a big part of my weekend, seeing a headliner at the Pyramid - it's one of the great memories. We've a few newbies coming this year and I'd be gutted if there was no one over the three slots they'd be interested in seeing.