What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay away from the showers....unless you go at 0300 you'll join the queue and within a minute start to wonder what you might be missing elsewhere.....what that huge cheer in the distance was for....will there be any Goan Fish Curry left....and all other flavours of FOMO.....

...then....just as you decide to leave the queue it moves slightly....and you decide to stay put...again...etc etc etc

Man-up.  Use a wetwipe twice a day....and go tell the WaterAid folks how you you've saved a few gallons over the weekend.

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've certainly heard worse ideas. I could well go for this.

Last year we drank endless cups of rum mixed with shakes from the Shaken Udder. It's practically a health food.

You'll never look back..... Rum shakes for lunch next year then! 

This year even :-) 

Edited by Lou1983

Talk to people, people in the loo queue, people at the bar, when you are at a table  - but not at the front  of the stages!  Participate, don't be a tourist, get dressed up, dance like your life depends on it, smile even if its raining!

Edited by bexj

15 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Take an empty Lenor bottle or similar for a tent toilet. Much wider rim and more space, so even if you are pissed you'll be fine.

This has genuinely been the best festival tip I have ever picked up. Particularly at a wet festival, the hassle this saves is priceless.

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's a bloody good point. Use sunscreen. You may think the sun isn't too hot, but if you're used to sitting in an office all day, then you're going to be exposed to exposed to far more UV than normal. I'm pretty keen on this one; being alcohol based, it's refreshing.

10487835-1364225314-402417.jpg

Don't think it works if you drink it.....

Can't think of much to add, it's all been said

• lock-ups are dead easy, use them
  • get Secret glasto text alerts from Twitter
  • Bring booze, you'll save £££££££££££s
  • always remember you could have a fantastic Glastonbury without going near the main stages once, so explore if you can
  • if you just want to stay by the pyramid, do, hey it's your Glastonbury
  • If you're not that into any of the headliners one night, that's the best time to do the naughty corner

11 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

And finally if you ever get the chance to dance on a table to "That's what I go to School for" by Busted at 1.30am on a friday morning, take it, it's blooming marvellous!

That hour or 2 I spent in that tent, very very drunk after a massive dance to Hot Chip was one of my favourite moments. Can't even remember where the tent was/what the tent is haha. 

We've been through this before...

Drop two imodium at the gate

Pre-roll and label everything you can get your hands on, ideally in grades - day time, party and wow modes.

Sort and label your bombs up front - see grading above

Keep your powder dry - literally and figuratively

Don't eat

Drink very sparingly - ideally tea and water

Work on the bare minimum sleep that you can take. 3 hours is plenty

Be giving and accepting of everything and everyone around you

Start a conversation with someone other than yourself or your mates

Smile as much as you possibly can

Always remember its only 120 odd hours from gate to gate - go for it like its your last week on earth - You'll be fine

Essentials before arriving

Take wet wipes. 
Take more socks than you need in case it rains. You can swap them out.
Walking boots or wellies. Never minded either but important to take one of them.
Bin bags
Something to identify your tent over all the other green or blue ones.
Rain coat and layers to keep you warm or remove if you're too hot

Essentials onsite

Spend Wednesday walking the site. Find out where everything is (it'll be harder at 10pm on a Friday night!)
Have a cider at the Cider Bus Bar run by a local family (and see them on Sunday night partying harder than you!)
Go an see the Arcadia Spectacular Show, even if you don't like dance music
Thursday night at The Glade if you do like dance music.
Go easy. There's loads to do and lots of walking. Don't ruin yourself early doors.
Get cash out of the machine either early morning or late night. Queues can be huge otherwise.
The curry bus in the walk from the Pyramid to the Other Stage has the best food you'll taste on a Sunday.
Share stuff. A ciggy, some drink, your time - whatever. It's the Glastonbury spirit.
Walk up to the Glastonbury sign. Sit. Chill and watch Glastonbury in action.
Pick a couple of things you want to see each day and then go with the flow at other times

Use your first day to just wander without looking at any maps & explore - you've still got the Thursday to get your bearings before the music starts - use the Wednesday to have your mind blown!

Don't look down into the longdrop pit, especially the morning after the night before.

Use the lock ups (& make a donation!).

Eat a raclette.

Don't piss on the loo seats or cover them with paper & then piss on the paper.  Squatting is for fools & is a selfish thing to do!

Wear sunscreen.  And a hat.

Never trust a sunny weather forecast & leave your wellies in the car... just in case.

19 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've got another tip - take travel tissues instead of bog roll.

I'm really surprised nobody has pulled you up on this.

Basically, if you do this then you should be really careful what you bring/use and where. Proper toilet paper is designed to break down so that it doesn't bugger up plumbing systems (such as sticking to the insides when wet). Most versions of Wet Wipes, Kleenex etc don't break down anywhere near as easily, and so can can and do cause clogging issues in the Flushing Toilets on site - this happens pretty much every year without fail. Even in the long drops there's still "plumbing" systems of sorts (ie the trucks that empty them) and I suspect if enough people filled them with Kleenex/Wet Wipes then the same issues would happen there.. Don't know whether there's any issue with composting toilets or not.

Pre-packaged tissues are definitely convenient, but are only a good idea when they're specifically designed to break down (some are but not many - check the packaging before buying/bringing).

1. Come onto these boards and ask for advice.

2. Read all about how you shouldn't plan too much, not to think that you'll be able to see everything you want to, that it is very difficult to get from JP to Park and back to see successive acts etc.

3. Politely disregard all of the advice in 2.

4. Plan too much, do think that you are able to see everything you want to, laugh at the idea that you can't get from JP to Park and back to see successive acts etc.

5. Execute all in 4., plus masses of other stuff that seems impossible to fit in, yet you still manage to.

6. Have one of the best five days of your life and immediately start planning how to fit in even more next year.

Piece of cake

:)

Ben

1 hour ago, HattersBoy said:

Am loving all the advice, am totally going to spend the time just wandering, will try Arcadia, is it best on a Friday and shall also try The Glade on the Thursday. Does anyone know where the underground piano bar can be found? 

Nobody knows where the secret Underground Piano Bar can be found. And I definitely did not enjoy going there when I didn't find it at my first Glastonbury last year. No siree, Bob.

Arcadia, like everywhere, is best when the line-up is your thing. For me, last year's Friday Arcadia line-up was stratospherically good, the other nights less so. When the final line-up comes out, do your homework (quickly! You have SOOOO much less pre-festival time with it than any toher festival and it is mahoosive), put the hours in, and you'll have the best time you can imagine.

Ben

5 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

1. Come onto these boards and ask for advice.

2. Read all about how you shouldn't plan too much, not to think that you'll be able to see everything you want to, that it is very difficult to get from JP to Park and back to see successive acts etc.

3. Politely disregard all of the advice in 2.

4. Plan too much, do think that you are able to see everything you want to, laugh at the idea that you can't get from JP to Park and back to see successive acts etc.

5. Execute all in 4., plus masses of other stuff that seems impossible to fit in, yet you still manage to.

6. Have one of the best five days of your life and immediately start planning how to fit in even more next year.

Piece of cake

:)

Ben

7. Only considering doing this if you are actually bennyhana22.

Just now, not worthy said:

Apart from packing lists, ignore all advice given and just enjoy everything you decide to do, switch off any/all social media/ignore your phone unless you're trying to find someone, just enjoy whatever is in front of you at the time....but that was advice, so ignore it

I'd go further.  If you're looking for someone, consider not looking for them, you'll probably find them later.