What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was my first time and there’s a few things I learned which will hopefully be useful to this year’s first timers;

If possible arrive on the Wednesday. A load of our crowd arrived on the Wednesday last year but for numerous reasons me and the missus couldn’t head down until Thursday morning. By the sounds of it we missed not only a great night on the Wednesday but also (as we spent the day travelling) a cracking day on Thursday while the rest of the group sat in the blazing sun drinking ciders. We had a great time once we arrived but this year I’m looking forward to being there for the duration.

Be prepared that until all of the stages open on Friday lunchtime it is BUSY. This is something I was unprepared for and found a bit overwhelming on the Thursday evening/Friday morning. As there’s (relatively speaking) not as much on the crowds can be pretty large wherever things are on, similarly the paths to get between the busy areas are also pretty hectic. That being said by the time The Cribs took the stage on Friday afternoon the crowds had dispersed to the far reaches of the festival and I thought it was okay after that for the rest of the weekend.

Another vote for walking boots over wellies

West Holts is a great place to chill out and see acts at the same time. There’s a load of seats next to the bars on the right hand side, a couple of times over the weekend a few of us sat there and collected our thoughts with a couple of beers. Managed to catch Todd Terje and FKA Twigs while we planned our next movements. It’s one of my favourite areas of the festival.

Prepare for all weather eventualities. We got absolutely drenched on the Friday afternoon/evening circa Wolf Alice at The Park then almost melted in the Saturday afternoon sun watching Young Fathers. As Baz says ‘use sunscreen’ and pack something waterproof in case the heavens do open. Saves you having to head back to the tent for a change.

Pack a decent fleece/jumper to wear at night. It gets damn cold and if you’re planning on sitting up for a bit when you get back to your tent you’ll need something to keep you warm.

Do your best to try a different food place every time you eat. There’s so much choice and great food you should make the most of it.

Head up the hill to the big sign. It’s great up there.

Provided there’s something that takes your interest I’d recommend doing a stage-a-night for the headliners. I did Pyramid – West Holts – Other last year. Would ideally (line up permitting) like to do either Park or JP this year and Other/WH again.

When the line up is announced go through the poster and make a note of everyone who’ve not heard of. Have a listen to one of their tracks and see if you think it’s something you fancy. I found a load of new music this way last year and it gave me a few bands to see I wouldn’t have otherwise bothered about.

After the headliners go and see the Giant Techno Spider (aka Arcadia)

Aside from that I’d echo what others have said; don’t get too hung up on seeing too many bands. Pick a few things each day that you absolutely don’t want to miss and let the festival guide you from there J

Not sure if someone's already said this but 1000 mile socks.  The only blemish on my first Glasto was how torn to shreds my feet were, walking was agony on the last couple of days.  Second time round I wore these and not even a hint of a blister.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000-Mile-Fusion-Merino-Walking/dp/B004ODJGW2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453217400&sr=8-3&keywords=1000+mile+socks

Sorry if been said but...... Wristband...... Put it on your 'non wiping hand' if you get my drift ideally on the same wrist as your watch so can tuck the dangly wristband bits under watch strap.

also for better value food and quality (in my opinion anyway) stay away from food stalls near the pyramid and go for those in the greenfields. Much better there

Listen to Brave Sir Robin's Glastonbury Spotify Playlist.

It's a labour of love and a work of art.

You're bound to find something new you like / love and who'll you'll want to go and see at the festival.

It's also great seeing / hearing it develop in conjunction with the rumours and confirmations as the festival approaches.

2 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

See I love fish finger sandwiches and i think that stall is a great idea at a festival where all the other choices are shitty burgers but I can't bring myself to part with that money at glastonbury when for a couple of quid more you could have a duck burger or the like

Oh, yes! Those duck burgers were glorious! :) 

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

See I love fish finger sandwiches and i think that stall is a great idea at a festival where all the other choices are shitty burgers but I can't bring myself to part with that money at glastonbury when for a couple of quid more you could have a duck burger or the like

Its a really good fish finger sammich! 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I don't doubt it but it's no lamb tagine. 

Meh, I've been to Marrakech and the food wasn't all that so would be giving tagines a swerve anyway. Duck burger sounds interesting. Where pray tell does one feast on one of those?

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Given that stalls often get the same pitches (at least at other fesitvals I've been to multiple times...), someone needs to annotate a GF map with the best of the food stalls!

Ben

Yes, it took me days to find the raclette place and I still haven't found the haloummi cone place. I need some squeeky cheese this year. 

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Meh, I've been to Marrakech and the food wasn't all that so would be giving tagines a swerve anyway. Duck burger sounds interesting. Where pray tell does one feast on one of those?

If I remember correctly, it was round the corner from the theatre and circus field. At the top of that area, approaching the Acoustic field, turn left along the path towards the meeting point / William's Green area. It was against the hedge backing onto the south side of the kids field, I think. 

1 minute ago, H.M.V said:

Yes, it took me days to find the raclette place and I still haven't found the haloummi cone place. I need some squeeky cheese this year. 

Oli's Halloumi cones are right next to the pyramid, between the t-shirt stand and the bar on the left of the stage. 

3 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

If I remember correctly, it was round the corner from the theatre and circus field. At the top of that area, approaching the Acoustic field, turn left along the path towards the meeting point / William's Green area. It was against the hedge backing onto the south side of the kids field, I think. 

Not far from the Ridge and furrow the location of the meets. WE can duck out for duck burgers. 

I've got me coat on.