What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

Check your preconceptions in at the gate and just find your own Glastonbury. The line-up should be considered merely a guideline to give a vague framework to your plans which will inevitably change. 

If you have only ever watched the BBC version of the festival there really is little to prepare you for the hidden Glastonbury experience and it all starts with that first glimpse of the site from the road as you prepare to hit the carparks or head to the coach gate.

If you ever find yourself thinking "oh crap, I'm missing so and so on this stage" just remember you will only be 'missing' them because you are doing something equally as fun. You are never missing out at Glastonbury as there is so much to do.

And finally if you ever get the chance to dance on a table to "That's what I go to School for" by Busted at 1.30am on a friday morning, take it, it's blooming marvellous!

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday - fabulous day to explore and relax.
Take it all really, really slowly - waste time with new people, walk alone for a while.
Something warm to wear post midnight - summer nights can be stupidly cold.
All the tent venues - hang around a few, chat with random people, the bands that come on will amaze.
Gel insoles.

As others have said, go with the flow and don't try to cram too much in- I remember in 2010 even though it was my 3rd Glastonbury still trying to do too much dashing about between stages on the Friday (and it was baking hot that year) and wasn't good.

If you're coming by car- leave a spare change of clothes in the car- handy if it's been a muddy one.  Also worth doing a run back to the car with stuff you don't need anymore on the Sunday.

If you're arranging to meet people rather than say oh I'm by the sound desk at the Pyramid/other/whatever stage go for something a bit more specific- like a particular stall.

21 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Wine bags.

i wish wine agreed with me. the few times i';ve taken wine bags i've ended up incredibly drunk, forgotten the latter portion of the night (including the second half of Jack White/almost the entirety of Metallica) and woken up the next day with the king of all hangovers

although i'll probably end up bringing some again this year. just must remember to drink water throughout the day as well

5 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Take ecstasy instead of a chair, I always find it more useful, and a lot easier to carry 

but remember not to mix ecstasy and chairs! lethal combination

1 hour ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Go easy on the ciderbus cider in the afternoons...

Its not the place to try LSD

See the first act every morning at West Holts 

Dont miss of Wheel of Four Tunes in Avalon 

Learn to salsa in Glasto Latino

Walking boots over wellies

May be more expensive but get cold mixers from ice cream vans

They were one of my highlights last year! Saw them at the stage in the cabaret field on thursday, met some great people and had a great dance

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I absolutely hate sitting down if I'm getting a bit freaky, so that absolutely works with me. Chairs are overrated too, and ecstasy definitely isn't, nothing's ever been surer 

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

I absolutely hate sitting down if I'm getting a bit freaky, so that absolutely works with me. Chairs are overrated too, and ecstasy definitely isn't, nothing's ever been surer 

i'm a stickler for 'if i sit down, i'm not getting back up' so yeah, i'm not wrong in saying they don't mix. getting in any way comfortable in that state is a danger zone

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

i wish wine agreed with me. the few times i';ve taken wine bags i've ended up incredibly drunk, forgotten the latter portion of the night (including the second half of Jack White/almost the entirety of Metallica) and woken up the next day with the king of all hangovers

although i'll probably end up bringing some again this year. just must remember to drink water throughout the day as well

I've always been incredibly jealous of wine drinkers that they get wine it a bag but I discovered Cider in a bag exists at most good supermarkets

granted it's still pretty lethal but I took a few bags of this stuff and it did an excellent job all weekend, it was even still chill on Sunday after being stored in a backpack in my tent all weekend http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285779961

I'm also in the don't sit down or your not getting back up again party, you've got to keep the momentum going or it's game over

1 hour ago, theDandy said:

this is your time to be shine...

##Stands up, taps on wine glass and waits for silence.....           Clears throat.##

On entry to the site, ensure one gets ones wristband placed on the arm one does not use when one wipes one's arse.

##Nods. Takes seat##

I've certainly heard worse ideas. I could well go for this.

Last year we drank endless cups of rum mixed with shakes from the Shaken Udder. It's practically a health food.

White Russians are the greatest breakfast drink to ease a hangover, we just mix our vodka and kalua in to a water carrier and buy fresh milk every morning from the milk tractors.....happy days!

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've certainly heard worse ideas. I could well go for this.

Last year we drank endless cups of rum mixed with shakes from the Shaken Udder. It's practically a health food.

Yes! Rum plus the Dime Bar milk shake was the best thing i've ever drunk at Glastonbury. 

3 hours ago, Chris Lfc said:

I'm not so sure if a thread has been up about this or something similar (if it has feel free to delete) but in your own personal experiences of being at Glastonbury what would be the first thing you would tell them? This thread can range from almost anything from quiet camping spots, best places to eat, best attractions.. there's always questions what people ask what sometimes are hard to find on threads or might not be there but maybe this thread could cover alot of that? 

12 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

##Stands up, taps on wine glass and waits for silence.....           Clears throat.##

On entry to the site, ensure one gets ones wristband placed on the arm one does not use when one wipes one's arse.

##Nods. Takes seat##

The best piece of advice to take note of for the whole weekend Chris LFC

20 minutes ago, theDandy said:

The best piece of advice to take note of for the whole weekend Chris LFC

Id rate it the best on the thread!

On a serious note.. thanks for the replies it really helps alot! not just me but many more people will be able to check this and take a few notes! And yes its January and I'm a little over excited.