What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

I'm not so sure if a thread has been up about this or something similar (if it has feel free to delete) but in your own personal experiences of being at Glastonbury what would be the first thing you would tell them? This thread can range from almost anything from quiet camping spots, best places to eat, best attractions.. there's always questions what people ask what sometimes are hard to find on threads or might not be there but maybe this thread could cover alot of that? 

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try not to plan too much / see everything. the site is gigantic, and if you try and see everything in the one weekend, you'll end up missing out on such much. just go with the flow, float from place to place at your own pace. you'll end up having a much better time and discover so much great stuff. obviously you can plan to see certain acts at certain times (although if two things clash, i'd personally choose one and try and forget about the other - running between acts can often lead to you missing so much, and leaving an act you were enjoying to see the end of something less enjoyable etc) but when you've got free time, just let your legs do the job. you've got years of the festival left to see what you don't manage to catch this year

I went for the first time last year, there are loads of advice one the internet for Glastonbury. But nothing can really prepare you for  hectic, crazy, outrageous diverse place that it is. First thing I would say? Definitely take some time on your own to just wonder round, in my opinion best thing you can do! I went round on my own a few times and had a hectic dance to a crazy little band in a random tent, ate some stunning food and got taught how it was made, bought a random festival goer a drink and make a new friend, just go with it and it can the best week of the year!! But having said that, don't forget them essentials :) 

Don't pack to much, nearly killed oursleves the first year shipping pointless items miles across site that you either don't need or if you desperately do then they can be bought somehwere on site!

Also as per the above, get there on the Wednesday and explore without a plan or a care......our first year we arrived late on the Thursday and i had to wait another year to really get my head around what is where.

God i wish i had that first time buzz again!

Try not to plan much and don't be annoyed at yourself for not seeing as much as you had hoped. I think I only seen or remember seeing just over half of the site the first and only time I've been. Take whatever you need for the day out with you in the morning for the full day. For some reason the group I was apart of wanted to go back to our tents once a day, really baffled me! Prepare as much for a rainy day as a nice day, but if you're from Britain or Ireland then you'll no doubt be experienced in doing this anyway.

35 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

try not to plan too much / see everything. the site is gigantic, and if you try and see everything in the one weekend, you'll end up missing out on such much. just go with the flow, float from place to place at your own pace. you'll end up having a much better time and discover so much great stuff. obviously you can plan to see certain acts at certain times (although if two things clash, i'd personally choose one and try and forget about the other - running between acts can often lead to you missing so much, and leaving an act you were enjoying to see the end of something less enjoyable etc) but when you've got free time, just let your legs do the job. you've got years of the festival left to see what you don't manage to catch this year

Yeah my first year in 2014 I camped in front of the Pyramid and basically treated it like Leeds, seeing as much music as possible and doing nothing else. Didn't even do much at night because the people I was with didn't really.

Second year in 2015 I purposely did the opposite and had the best weekend of my life.

Go easy on the ciderbus cider in the afternoons...

Its not the place to try LSD

See the first act every morning at West Holts 

Dont miss of Wheel of Four Tunes in Avalon 

Learn to salsa in Glasto Latino

Walking boots over wellies

May be more expensive but get cold mixers from ice cream vans

walking boots and good socks are essential

try out as many food outlets as you can afford/manage

take part in a workshop of some sort, meditation in the Greenfields is an excellent choice

most of all try and remember it's a marathon not a sprint, pacing yourself is the most important part

The key tips would be:

- Comfortable walking boots > Uncomfortable wellies.

- Binbags. Lots of them. You will only truly appreciate them if (when...) the rain starts. You'll never happier being able to lie on the ground.

- Spirits > cans of beer. The walk in will be so much easier.

- Ear plugs and sleeping mask

- Dont try to do it all. The site is a monstrosity size wise. If at all possible try to avoid doing too much too soon. Even the fittest among us, come sunday, feel the pain

Prepare for the weather, take a good waterproof jacket and I definitely recommend walking boots ahead of wellies, get some gaiters or waterproofing spray and you're on a winner. As a few people have said, don't let the guardian guide rule your weekend, it's good to see bands that you want to see, but it's great to explore and experience new things. Il have a few acts in mind that I'm not willing to miss, apart from that it's all spur of the moment. Don't go at it too hard in the afternoons, well unless your liver is made of steel, after midnight it really is something special, you've got to experience some of the goings on at night, so keep some fuel in the tank for then. You're not going to be able to do everything, every night, so again, just go with the flow, don't just do one lap of Shangri La gawping into the micro-venues like a bewildered tourist and then pack it in. Just go with it, and you'll see why we all think it's the greatest place on earth 

3 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Suncream, hat, sunglasses, wellies and a rain coat. Covers everything.

Slight variation get disposable ponchos instead of rain coat. When it stops raining you can use them to sit on the ground then chuck em afterwards. Oh and always carry some of that sanitising handgel to avoid spending too much time in the long drops.

Just now, Rumblestripe said:

Oh and always carry some of that sanitising handgel to avoid spending too much time in the long drops.

yeah don't underestimate how handy this stuff is. all it takes is you not washing your hands once and then touching your mouth for you to be on the toilet constantly for the rest of the weekend

1 minute ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

How ever much weed you think you might get through, double it 

definitely. no matter how much i bring i plough through it in no time

Take a chair. 

However, said chair is mainly for use on Wednesday and Thursday and should not be folded out in the Pyramid field (maybe at the back and between acts, but never during busy times). It's also OK by your tent I suppose. 

I walked too far on Wednesday and Thursday and was shattered on Friday. This year I plan to walk, sit, take in view, walk some more etc. I bought a chair, fish n chips, cider and had a little sit down in Williams green on Saturday afternoon. I could have cried happy tears my feet were so relived.