What advice would you give for first timers?

Chris Lfc

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

We should do our own. I'm sure someone on here has the IT skills to get a big map image set up so we can all add pins of our faves?

I'm pretty sure this is fairly easily done by creating a custom map on Google Maps, and you can then add "contributors" by email address who can mark where various things are.

it would probably be easier done on Glastomap, or at least using that image, as it's of the festival when it's on, rather than the Google one which is just big empty fields...

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one festival tip I give to everyone is waterproof trousers

they give you so much more freedom, you don't have to worry about the mud at all, you can just plonk down on the floor if you need a sit down, wade through deep puddles (with appropriate walking boots) you can walk along without feeling weighed down with wet trousers and they're light weight so if the sun comes back you can just whip them off and stick them in your pocket

1. Waterproof coat, wellies/walking boots and sun cream. Be prepared for all weathers.

2. Have something in your tent to piss in because if you wake up at 6am desperate you're not gonna wanna get dressed and go to the long drops.

3. Arrive on the Wednesday. We arrived the Thursday our first year and I strongly regret missing a whole day.

4. Pack Imodium, just in case.

5. If you're not into drugs, pro-plus is essential. 

6. Keep your loo roll in a zip lock bag. If it rains and your stuff gets drenched you will be pleased you did this. 

7. Always carry bin bags.

8. If you don't want to be needing a wee during the headliner, stop drinking pints at 6pm and move on to spirits. 

The first time I went I planned too much and saw far too much music!! Before I went I looked at the clash finder and basically looked for an act for every single slot i could! (Very silly in hindsight).   Choose a couple of must sees and then just go with the flow, it's a great opportunity to see some acts you would never normally pay to see. (I did that the next time I went)

Use Weds (if your lucky enough to go the Weds) and Thurs to just have a wander and take it all in. No rushing, just a slow wander from place to place.

Plan for all types of weather, whatever the forecast says!! I was there for the hot year (2010) and was fairly prepared, however the following time I'm sure the weather forecast said dry all weekend so I only took a tiny jacket/hoodie...... Downpour on the Thursday afternoon ruined that afternoon somewhat. 

Talk to people and smile at people! Everyone is there to have a good time.

Keep your belongings safe. (I always use the lock ups!, they are fantastic)

but most of all, do what you want! Don't miss out because someone else doesn't want to do that! It happens once a year and sometimes you won't ever see an act again!! 

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm pleased to say that this year (after having refused a previous year) they kindly sorted us with tickets after we'd missed out in the sale - tho not freebies, paid-for (which I've no problem with, just to be clear).

Yeah, I remember seeing you mention that, pleased you got sorted. My list was actually people that I reckon deserve a free pass to the cider bus, but I think the same would go for the idea of guaranteed tickets. There are a small number of people who, either voluntarily or as part of a business, do a great deal to promote the festival and build excitement. Along with Pilton residents, I think it would be a nice gesture for the festival to offer you the option of (paid for) tickets without the ticket day stress. 

27 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

1. Waterproof coat, wellies/walking boots and sun cream. Be prepared for all weathers.

2. Have something in your tent to piss in because if you wake up at 6am desperate you're not gonna wanna get dressed and go to the long drops.

3. Arrive on the Wednesday. We arrived the Thursday our first year and I strongly regret missing a whole day.

6. Keep your loo roll in a zip lock bag. If it rains and your stuff gets drenched you will be pleased you did this. 

8. If you don't want to be needing a wee during the headliner, stop drinking pints at 6pm and move on to spirits. 

If you're not into meat, try chicken.

Has anyone mentioned the Lenor bottle yet?

I have to recommend space blankets. Taped up between the fly sheet and inner of the tent, this can prolong the dark and coolness in your tent - if its a sunny one, the inside of a tent can be unbearable from 6am on, and I found the space blankets gave me a good 2 to 3 hours extra.

54 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

Yeah, I remember seeing you mention that, pleased you got sorted. My list was actually people that I reckon deserve a free pass to the cider bus, but I think the same would go for the idea of guaranteed tickets. There are a small number of people who, either voluntarily or as part of a business, do a great deal to promote the festival and build excitement. Along with Pilton residents, I think it would be a nice gesture for the festival to offer you the option of (paid for) tickets without the ticket day stress. 

My selfish side of course agrees with you. :P

More seriously, I don't believe I've any greater right to a ticket than anyone else - after all, it's been my choice to do this, not something Glasto requested of me - and if Glastonbury had refused me again I'd have been pissed off and frustrated, but I wouldn't hold it against them.

It didn't really ask this time, as it happened. I made a flippant comment back on an email at the end of a convo about something else, and didn't expect to hear anything further. I was chuffed to bits when he said he'd sort it, and of course grateful.

Like just about anyone else who reads here regularly, I'd of course try any avenue i could think of to try and get tickets, but I've no expectation of any 'right' to one.

Edited by eFestivals

1 hour ago, JoBalls said:

Still surprised so many people don't know you can get free toilet rolls from info points and lock ups. One less thing to carry and if they do get wet (by accident) easily replaced

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

I have given in and worn waterproof trousers to my last few festivals and though I look like a right tit they are a bit of a revelation.

I second wearing waterproof trousers, darn miserable having the pouring rain  run off your poncho to soak your legs instead, particularly if not shorts weather to start with.  I got disposable ones off eBay last yr so a little lighter to carry.

In fact I don't know why you can't get waterproof trousers in a funky design, ponchos and wellies no longer need to be boring so why not trousers? 

Edited by slash's hat

46 minutes ago, richroet said:

Still surprised so many people don't know you can get free toilet rolls from info points and lock ups. One less thing to carry and if they do get wet (by accident) easily replaced

One less thing to carry?  Do you go to an info point or lock up every time you need the toilet?

Just a few points of advice from the times I've been to Glastonbury:

• Listen to as many acts as possible as soon as they are announced, you might discover an artist or two you really like and then you can go see them at Glasto.
  • Try not to just stick to Pyramid and Other. Find the stages which you enjoy being at the most. If you're into drum and bass and jungle, check out The Blues, If you like world music and hip-hop check out West Holts.
  • Give yourself time to explore the festival - Wednesday/Thursday is good for this
  • Go to the Cabaret or circus tent at least once throughout the weekend.
  • If you're working, go to Gio's pizza pockets by Leftfield, you get like a £3 discount from what I remember.
  • Fish curry place by West Holts is good, as is Le Grande Bouffe by Pyramid and that Growler place by Leftfield/Other Stage that sells cheesy chips in a baguette.
  • If you're working, check out the staff bars as you have access to them you can meet some really interesting people, and you get discounted beer.
  • Have fun, if people are being dicks get over it and enjoy yourself

22 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Just a few points of advice from the times I've been to Glastonbury:

• Fish curry place by West Holts is good, as is Le Grande Bouffe by Pyramid and that Growler place by Leftfield/Other Stage that sells cheesy chips in a baguette.

... is also in West Holts, in about the opposite corner of the field to the (over-rated, I say) fish curries.

Edited by eFestivals