LCD Soundsystem....

mini-macc

I'm going to defend the Other Stage.  I've had some great moments there - Chemical Brothers, Future Islands, Belle & Sebastian, Everything Everything and Jungle were all ace last year.  

I agree that it lacks the personality of the other parts of the festival but I find that often works in its favour.  With the Other Stage, you find that anybody who is there is there because they want to see the specific act that is on and not just because they like a particular food stall or the vibe.  For this reason, it's a great place to see bands you really like as everyone else there is really into it.  

With some of the other stages like West Holts, you often get a lot of people who are just there because they like that area and couldn't give a shit about who is on and the atmosphere can be affected by it.  I had to move 4 times in Caribou last year to try and be near people who were at least facing the right way and not shouting about their plans for that evening.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, RyanS said:

I

With some of the other stages like West Holts, you often get a lot of people who are just there because they like that area and couldn't give a shit about who is on and the atmosphere can be affected by it.  I had to move 4 times in Caribou last year to try and be near people who were at least facing the right way and not shouting about their plans for that evening.

well said...you do see many a crowd gathered near Brothers Bar oblivious to who just played "who was that then before? who;s on next?" etc... but it is a lovely place to be, especially on a sunny Thursday afternoon

I've always had a soft spot for the Other Stage.  Certainly in the past, it has had a personality, namely around it's sound.  I can't imagine any other stage sounding quite as immense and magnificent as Bjork did in 2007.  And again in 2007, hearing Arcade Fire's drums boom out into the distance was quite wonderful, with the setting sun and the flags as a backdrop.  

Other than Blondie, I didn't go near the place on my last visit 2014 though, there were some shocking bands on during the day.

I'm very interested to see/hear the new stage, although I hope they stick on some bigger screens this year, on telly it looks like there were supposed to me some massive portrait screens by the side, but they ran out of cash.

Never gave these a chance before, but just whacked this on the TV and this looks right up my street! It doesn't really help me with T In The Park though, because I can imagine the crowd is gonna be tragically small up against RHCP and possibly Tiesto. On the other hand, if I go to Glastonbury this might cause an interesting argument between me and the gf over this and Muse.

13 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Never gave these a chance before, but just whacked this on the TV and this looks right up my street! It doesn't really help me with T In The Park though, because I can imagine the crowd is gonna be tragically small up against RHCP and possibly Tiesto. On the other hand, if I go to Glastonbury this might cause an interesting argument between me and the gf over this and Muse.

Didn't realise Tiesto were playing at T. 

Tiesto + the bams of T in the Park = take off and nuke the site from orbit. 

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Didn't realise Tiesto were playing at T. 

Tiesto + the bams of T in the Park = take off and nuke the site from orbit. 

He was on a lineup poster uploaded on Calvin Harris's Facebook page last Thursday night, along with Alesso, then the next day Alesso was announced as the Friday R1 stage headliner, so Tiesto must be playing. Tiesto was listed under the Sunday, but LCD Soundsystem and Major Lazor are confirmed as the top two on Radio 1, RHCP are the Main headliner. So the only position for Tiesto on the Sunday is the King Tuts headliner, or subbing RHCP in the daylight which is unlikely.

I don't know what Geoff Ellis is thinking, it will be dangerous in there if Tiesto does that, he will get a huge amount of Calvin's crowd with RHCP and LCD (playing to a man and his dog) outside. Faithless and Chase and Status also playing the Sunday so either one of them is playing 3rd down on the main, or in King Tuts as well. Rumour of New Order, I don't see it, Jake Bugg will be opening Slam Tent at that rate.

Edited by Alan_C

7 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I think the Other is the stage that feels most generic festival-y. I don't think it's a bad stage, just doesn't have the same personality as the others (pardon the pun).

I think it's partly the shape/location. Places like Park, WH, Pyramid etc seem to nicely focus you towards the stage, whereas Other just seems to wide and not like a proper 'arena'. Having said that ice not seen a headliner there and it looks like I'll be seeing a couple this year so it'll be interesting to see what it's like after dark

On 4 March 2016 at 0:26 PM, FloorFiller said:

it's just a bit of an atmosphere vacuum - feels like you've been transported to somewhere like Reading/Leeds, not helped by the fact that most of the acts who play on there are your typical Reading/Leeds main stage fodder. but saying all that, when an act gets it right it can be totally magnificent (Chemical Brothers last year are a good example, and i've heard nothing but good things about Portishead)

doesn't fully come across on the TV as as good as it was on the night but this set gave me goosebumps 

Edited by Zac Quinn
  • Upvote 2

I camp out that way and I understand to an extent what some people mean but some of the headline sets i've seen there have been magical and leave me with very fond memories. 

All three Chemical Brother sets since 2007,and Orbital 2010 (I still list this as the best set I've seen at the festival) are the ones that come to mind.

9 minutes ago, DJ Cull said:

Seems like there's plenty of people playing Roskilde who are (either definitely or rumoured to be) playing Glasto - New Order & PJ Harvey to name just two. The confidence level for LCD to be on the Other Stage has just gone back up a bit 

Dude, this is happening, there are no two ways about it. They're more nailed on than anybody else not yet announced.

• Upvote 1