Glastocam!

pauladam

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

A working life bin Bristol docks , a few years on the farm then off to the scrappy. Sad 

I posted the other day that I would call that a glorious ending compare to all the other cranes out there!! 

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Bloody hell....the operator of the right hand digger might need a clean pair of pants 😬

I'm only guessing but I think each of the two diggers would have had some sort of cable connected to it and while the right hand one pulled it down the left probably slowed its accent. 

Reminds me of gold rush when they move the wash plants! 

1 hour ago, Cheesey said:

image.png.3c5181a2339c5d68f734529c6ecdf28f.png

*David Attenborough voice*

Fatally weakened by its previous battle with the Pilton Planning Committee, the mighty crane cannot defend itself from circling diggers. In the space of minutes, it falls, never to rise again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Sad end for Pangea and we’ll never get to see how it would have developed. I worry that the Arcadia crew may be disillusioned by the limitations of what they can do at Glastonbury in the context of planning limitations. Clearly any future project has to be dismantled now and rebuilt every year which does potentially limit things beyond something like the spider, which is not as vast as Pangea. As they said, dismantling something on the scale of Pangea is not financially viable. 

8 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Sad end for Pangea and we’ll never get to see how it would have developed. I worry that the Arcadia crew may be disillusioned by the limitations of what they can do at Glastonbury in the context of planning limitations. Clearly any future project has to be dismantled now and rebuilt every year which does potentially limit things beyond something like the spider, which is not as vast as Pangea. As they said, dismantling something on the scale of Pangea is not financially viable. 

Yeah was thinking the same, when you think in that BBC video above that they said they had scoured the world in places like India looking for something and eventually found the crane, they obviously had given it a lot of thought and had some big plans for the next five years. I reckon the projector ball thing was really just a placeholder and then it would’ve really developed properly from there  on after 2019. With all the cost they would’ve incurred I very much doubt they’ll ever entertain anything that can’t be completely dismantled again. Let’s hope they’ve still got some fresh ideas up their sleeve for 2023 and beyond. 

19 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Wasn’t it more that they had to renew all of the safety certificates that was prohibitive rather than the actual dismantling?

22 minutes ago, tarw said:

Wasn’t it more that they had to renew all of the safety certificates that was prohibitive rather than the actual dismantling?

Makes sense as the crane was no longer cost effective in it’s original location which will have prompted the sale of it to the festival. Like any old piece of machinery when it costs more to keep it running than it is worth then it’s time to scrap it. 

Playing devils advocate for a second... was perhaps a bit of a silly gamble to stick a whopping great big crane up in the middle of a Somerset field without planning permission. Must be kicking themselves. I'm sure the festival would take most of the financial hit though right? 

46 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yeah was thinking the same, when you think in that BBC video above that they said they had scoured the world in places like India looking for something and eventually found the crane, they obviously had given it a lot of thought and had some big plans for the next five years. I reckon the projector ball thing was really just a placeholder and then it would’ve really developed properly from there  on after 2019. With all the cost they would’ve incurred I very much doubt they’ll ever entertain anything that can’t be completely dismantled again. Let’s hope they’ve still got some fresh ideas up their sleeve for 2023 and beyond. 

I suppose the option for a permanent, evolving structure is somewhere on the farm that has trees to obscure the base. Somewhere like the JP stage area probably would have enough coverage but it's too disassociated from the SE corner and bulk of the festival.

Hopefully they brace the artistic challenge of creating something new that is sympathetic to the landscape.

Shame Michael couldn't just built a new hay barn over it so it's hidden all year round. Not sure the council can object to a hay barn on a farm.

Anyone know whether the Other Stage is the same base as 2019? I don’t have any progression pictures from that time but maybe someone could cross reference the structure they have now compared to the one used 3 years ago. Otherwise it will probably be a while before we can tell.