Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, sisco said:

Personally I don't think they should or will accept lower than headline spots, especially before the new album is out BUT the statement he has made does seem to contradict it! Not sure how they can be playing a handful of UK fests and headlining them all! 

IOW - Haven't booked their Saturday yet

V - They wouldn't would they?

R&L - Too soon?

Glastonbury - Didn't someone say they aren't deemed to be a headline band there

T - again too soon?? 

I suppose depending on the definition of a festival he could be meaning things such as Hyde Park (not sure why they would leave it so late) and Calling fest (NGHFB headlined it last year so could be a possibility).  Latitude and Bestival too maybe??  

Well that's cleared it up........

I think they'll headline R&L, Glasgow Summer Sessions and Radio One's Big Weekend. That's 4 festivals, which is easily a handful.

I would have said TITP but some geezer has info that their last two headliners are Calvin Harris and RHCP.

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

I think they'll headline R&L, Glasgow Summer Sessions and Radio One's Big Weekend. That's 4 festivals, which is easily a handful.

I would have said TITP but some geezer has info that their last two headliners are Calvin Harris and RHCP.

Of course, if the Thursday announcement for R+L is neither Biffy or Foals/Foals-Disclosure then we could probably start thinking about them taking lower slots as a real possibility.

7 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Forgot the big weekend.  Well we will see about R&L tommorow. Isn't 1 of the day's said to be Foals/Disclosue? And doubt they will announce that Thurs

30 minutes ago, sisco said:

Personally I don't think they should or will accept lower than headline spots, especially before the new album is out BUT the statement he has made does seem to contradict it! Not sure how they can be playing a handful of UK fests and headlining them all! 

IOW - Haven't booked their Saturday yet

V - They wouldn't would they?

R&L - Too soon?

Glastonbury - Didn't someone say they aren't deemed to be a headline band there

T - again too soon?? 

I suppose depending on the definition of a festival he could be meaning things such as Hyde Park (not sure why they would leave it so late) and Calling fest (NGHFB headlined it last year so could be a possibility).  Latitude and Bestival too maybe??  

Well that's cleared it up........

i don't think 3 years for a return to R&L is too soon.

i suppose you could count those as 2 festivals too....

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Of course, if the Thursday announcement for R+L is neither Biffy or Foals/Foals-Disclosure then we could probably start thinking about them taking lower slots as a real possibility.

Perhaps, but I still wouldn't expect it. I'd sooner expect a BST announcement once the album's been announced than them taking sub spots.

I can't see it being a year where Disclosure are headlining major festivals and Biffy subbing them.

If Foals are only co-healdining Reading then I do think they might be accepting lower slots at a couple of other festivals, I'd be surprised if they are on a UK festival exclusive. Would expect them to be at T at least and if its true that T have Calvin Harris and Chillis as the their headliners its a strong possibility Foals are accepting lower slots. So maybe a sub at Glastonbury and T along with Reading

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Thinking about it, that's probably how virtually all innovation occurs - can anyone think of a counter-example? Not an artist without influences (impossible, I'd say), but where they're doing something other than simply combining styles? Kraftwerk maybe?

Weirdly I had this debate with someone a couple of weeks back who reckoned that no actual new musical style had been created since hip hop and that everything since then is just a refining or combining of previous things (which is actually what hip hop was in essence, but I could see his point).  Thinking about it it seemed bold new musical styles were kind of tied to technology, so maybe Kraftwerk is a good example (although they were obviously part of a movement for electronic sounds).

It is difficult to make the case cleanly but Madeon style Launchpad music has made for sounds that were really unobtainable before (even if it is more cut up type music that has been around since Negativland and before) and I'd say represented a music innovation.

I've mentioned it elsewhere on here (and will accept the ridicule with good grace), but it is hard to overstate how much Korn's Blind didn't sound like anything else at the time it came out.  Interestingly this is even more apparent when you listen to Blind as recorded by Davis' previous band SexArt (song was original to Korn exactly) and the one on Neidmeyers Mind demos, which both sound more like straight down the line heavy metal.  The wonders of producers.

Anyway... about that Coldplay headlining slot.

12 minutes ago, Callum_96 said:

If Foals are only co-healdining Reading then I do think they might be accepting lower slots at a couple of other festivals, I'd be surprised if they are on a UK festival exclusive. Would expect them to be at T at least and if its true that T have Calvin Harris and Chillis as the their headliners its a strong possibility Foals are accepting lower slots. So maybe a sub at Glastonbury and T along with Reading

Nah Foals are already a small headliner, they're not gonna let them play announced slots at other festivals and draw sales away.

Hmmm. Has Neil Young been properly ruled out then? I'm sure that festival in Madrid the week before is a new addition to his tour schedule which already had a fair few festivals in it. Surely ME would jump at the chance to book a return of one of his all time faves?

1 hour ago, Mandroman said:

Hmmm. Has Neil Young been properly ruled out then? I'm sure that festival in Madrid the week before is a new addition to his tour schedule which already had a fair few festivals in it. Surely ME would jump at the chance to book a return of one of his all time faves?

I think Young will play on Sunday afternoon slot...

42 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

considering he's headlining any festival he plays worldwide and only headlined Glastonbury a few years ago i doubt he'd now be demoted to the Sunday legend slot

'

"The most recent confirmation was our Sunday teatime slot, which is something I'm personally very excited about," said Eavis, when speaking to the BBC.

"It's a major coup for us and a genuine surprise. I don't think anyone has rumoured or guessed this one."

2 minutes ago, Andy0808 v5 said:

The year Strokes co-headlined Reading, i'm pretty sure they headlined the second stage of T up against Guetta. Wouldn't be surprised to see that again with Foals against Calvin. 

The Strokes played second last on the second stage at T that year, albeit that was down to them asking to play second last so they didn't clash with Coldplay and Primal Scream rather than them subbing it. 

I don't think Foals would accept a second stage slot now and they won't headline T so doubt they'll be there this year. There's someone on the T thread who says LCD Soundsystem will be in that slot opposite Calvin Harris so I reckon it'll be them.