Headliners 2016

thewayiam

• Replies 15.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Here David we've assembled a group of people who have clearly taken little to no inspiration from your work and your approach to music, or at least totally missed the point and now they will honour you by butchering some of your famous songs at the most horrific industry do there is.

it's what he would have wanted

1 hour ago, cornish hick said:

From BTX - BREAKING: Confirmed by 4 different sources. Bruce #Springsteen European Tour from May 24 to July 27. Kick-off in England, end in Norway

May 14: Rome
May 19: Lisbon (CONFIRMED)
May 26: Manchester
May 28: Glasgow
June 1: Dublin
June 12 - Landgraaf (Holland)
June 23&24 - Barcelona
June 26 - Madrid
July 3 - Werchter (Belgium)
July 16 - Copenhagen
Barcelona - June 23 & 24
Madrid - June 26
Paris - July 13
Copenhagen - July 16
Helsinki - July 18
Gothenburg - July 21 & 22

Although Rome & Lisbon aren't in Englandshire

The UK dates are rumoured to be NOT stadium shows, ie Manchester Arena.

Will be tough getting a standing ticket! Fingers crossed

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Harsh. I can see a line from Bowie to Albarn. The rest of them, maybe not.

Not to rant, because it achieves little, but seeing as this has been said.  I'll preface by saying I love Modern Life Is Rubbish.

Whilst Albarn et al are clearly influenced by Bowie's work at certain points I'm not sure how much Bowie would appreciate Albarn's work and his looking backwards for inspiration*.  If anything Bowie only ever looked forward (until The Next Day), choosing to reflect the present rather than slip into some kind of nostalgia for an age passed.  It is the thing that always bothers me when people say they are influenced by Bowie, and then go and make an album that sounds like the stuff Bowie would have made twenty or more year's ago.  That kind of wasn't the point.

Maybe the Brits tribute should be acts that would have excited him, new music, new sounds.  Of course this is very much not what the Brits is about (unless they are Brit school graduate)

*I could be very wrong and he'd love to have Coldplay and Blur collaborate on a rendition of Ziggy Stardust....

4 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Not to rant, because it achieves little, but seeing as this has been said.  I'll preface by saying I love Modern Life Is Rubbish.

Whilst Albarn et al are clearly influenced by Bowie's work at certain points I'm not sure how much Bowie would appreciate Albarn's work and his looking backwards for inspiration*.  If anything Bowie only ever looked forward (until The Next Day), choosing to reflect the present rather than slip into some kind of nostalgia for an age passed.  It is the thing that always bothers me when people say they are influenced by Bowie, and then go and make an album that sounds like the stuff Bowie would have made twenty or more year's ago.  That kind of wasn't the point.

Maybe the Brits tribute should be acts that would have excited him, new music, new sounds.  Of course this is very much not what the Brits is about (unless they are Brit school graduate)

*I could be very wrong and he'd love to have Coldplay and Blur collaborate on a rendition of Ziggy Stardust....

12 minutes ago, HoTWire said:

Bowie just wouldn't have watched the fucking Brits 

1 minute ago, GlastoSimon said:

Off topic, but can I ask why Muse are seen as favourites again? Just seen their tour dates involve few festivals, and end two weeks before the fest.

Was something said which raised them to favourites level?

various tabloids reporting them as one of the headliners, along with (i believe) somebody on here hearing that they were nailed on

7 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Springsteen and E Street 

I know opinion varies round here from Greatest Live Act of All Time to Dull, and maybe he feels there's unfinished business at Worthy Farm.  I'd be all over it, of course.

unfinished business would never be double-album "The River" from front to end to a field that knows Dancing in the Dark...

i'm sure the fans know it, but the Chicago River gig from the past week was made available for free download after he had to cancel the first of his Garden shows on sunday due to snow...it's here, and you only have a few more hours to get it for free (i'm sure Neil is rushing to do so now...) 

www.brucespringsteen.net 

oh, and they are amongst the best of course, per your query on opinion...