Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just find it odd that someone would wear the merchandise of something / someone that they don't like.

I'm not such a purist that I think you can only wear a t-shirt if you've seen the band, or were there the first time around, because that would be twattish. But yeah, wearing the merch of a band you don't even know about or actively dislike, I don't get.

It'd be like a vegetarian wearing a shirt with a picture of a steak on it.

Tour shirts on the other hand can get tae fuck.  And I hold the bands absolutely as responsible for endorsing their re-manufacture and sale in Topshop's House of Tat. If I had to spend 2hrs at a gig surrounded by moshing lunatics or chin-stroking hipsters to get a tour shirt, so can every other bastard.

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Quark said:

You're a better person for making that decision.

Most of your average H&M clientele would be confused and scared by Damage Inc anyway.  I think that listening to the band / song should be a pre-requisite before being allowed to buy the shirts.

As I walked past a Topshop in Southampton the other day I seen a Pantera shirt in the window! Fucking Pantera, it's gone too far now, be alright if the people who bought these t shirts then went and listened to the band to be scared shitless at it because it doesn't sound anything like The Chainsmokers or something but alas they don't. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Although they could've easily have just bought them at Topshop/Primark/another retail store because they liked the design and have no idea about the music, as is so often the case with popular band merch these days (although let's assume these were all older people and not teenage girls with daisy chains in their hair).

Eh, most of them were bearded blokes and I have an automatic reflex to shout "Caught Somewhere in Time or Moonchild" for best late eighties opener at them. If they can at least answer, they're good in my book (all of them told me I was talking nonsense and that Powerslave is where it's at, on the whole, except for the one bloke who tried to convince me No Prayer for the Dying was a good album. Even as a Maiden fan, NPFTD is better left in a corner and ignored.

But point well taken. Worst one for me is Slipknot - because they are a fairly modern metal band (twenty-first century peak) who the teenage girls have heard of and usually buy to "express their inner frustration" or something (a teenage friend of my sister, herself a woman who considers a day without listening to Sabbath's Vol.4 a wasted day, used the exact phrase "express my inner frustration" when I asked her why she was wearing a Slipknot tee, yet couldn't name a single song.)

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Don't start me.  I nearly put my head through a wall on Saturday when I saw Metallica t-shirts in the window of H&M.

Although Mrs Q informs me that Topshop are the worst offenders.  They sell the "distressed" vintage tour shirts. C*nts.

Topshop definitely the worst. Mrs Q is spot on.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

You're a better person for making that decision.

Seconded, though to be honest, I didn't think you were a bad person in the first place.

1 minute ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Eh, most of them were bearded blokes and I have an automatic reflex to shout "Caught Somewhere in Time or Moonchild" for best late eighties opener at them. If they can at least answer, they're good in my book (all of them told me I was talking nonsense and that Powerslave is where it's at, on the whole, except for the one bloke who tried to convince me No Prayer for the Dying was a good album. Even as a Maiden fan, NPFTD is better left in a corner and ignored.

Caught Somewhere In Time is a massively underrated song.

Powerslave doesn't count as a later 80s opener so what do they know?

NPFTD is the only pre-X-Factor album I never return to. Unfortunately it's tosh.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Don't start me.  I nearly put my head through a wall on Saturday when I saw Metallica t-shirts in the window of H&M.

Although Mrs Q informs me that Topshop are the worst offenders.  They sell the "distressed" vintage tour shirts. C*nts.

Was a guns n roses one in primark I saw yesterday. I have one which was from asda couple of years ago and have "distressed" it myself, but am very much looking forward to getting an official one in June.:)

31 minutes ago, Quark said:

Caught Somewhere In Time is a massively underrated song.

Powerslave doesn't count as a later 80s opener so what do they know?

NPFTD is the only pre-X-Factor album I never return to. Unfortunately it's tosh.

HUGELY underrated song. Possibly my favourite from SIT, bar maybe Deja Vu or Wasted Years.

Yeah, I pointed that out,but I imagine they were remonstrating on the album as a whole. 

Agreed. Here's one - best reunion album? Most of my friends bank on BNW but TBOS sounded so urgent that it's gotta be mine.

1 hour ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

HUGELY underrated song. Possibly my favourite from SIT, bar maybe Deja Vu or Wasted Years.

Yeah, I pointed that out,but I imagine they were remonstrating on the album as a whole. 

Agreed. Here's one - best reunion album? Most of my friends bank on BNW but TBOS sounded so urgent that it's gotta be mine.

Kind of fell out of love with them after X-Factor came out and never fully recovered!  Seen them a couple of times since, but the albums have never fully grabbed me since. Probably would be BNW though.

And Wasted Years is my favourite Maiden song of all time.  Come at me :P

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Kind of fell out of love with them after X-Factor came out and never fully recovered!  Seen them a couple of times since, but the albums have never fully grabbed me since. Probably would be BNW though.

And Wasted Years is my favourite Maiden song of all time.  Come at me :P

I got into them... between AMOLAD and TFF. Was The Wicker Man that hooked me in as a track, and from there, I just discovered them in time for the latter album.

Wasted Years is an absolute classic and the fact they are closing the current tour with it is a rather great stroke of genius in my opinion.

Obviously they're in America but odds weren't too long before on them being at the Farm (closest they'd been since just after '14 I believe.) This setlist here:

1. Speed of Light
2. 2 Minutes to Midnight
3. The Evil That men Do
4. Death or Glory
5. Powerslave
6. The Trooper
7. Phantom of the Opera
8. Run to the Hills
9. Hallowed Be Thy Name
10. Fear of the Dark
11. Iron Maiden

12. The Number of the Beast
13. Blood Brothers
14. Wasted Years

; would have been a realistic TBOS set they could have played on the Pyramid to a positive reception. Only about eighty minutes or so, so would have been a short sweet blast of headline status.

#Maiden19 - the real dream :P:D