England at Glasto

briddj

The problem with 2010 was that with it being shown on the pyramid on Weds loads more people arrived early to get set up before the match- queues to get in were horrible in very hot sun 🥵

I think that’s when everyone started arriving earlier to avoid queues on Weds and the car parks were opened up on Tuesday nights ? 

15 hours ago, CY 2019 said:

I remember watching England vs Portugal on the Pyramid in Euro 2004.

That was a bigger crowd watching the game than in the stadium apparently. So biggest crowd watching the game anywhere. And on lots more mushrooms due to them being legal then. 

Was quite an experience, but I am still completely ambivalent about them showing any football at Glasto Fri-Sat. There would always be something else on I’d prefer to see - that game was a Thursday which is a bit different.

12 hours ago, sedra said:

Yeah it was torrential rain and we got soaked - it was shown in the old outdoor cinema field. 
we went round to the NME stage ( Other)after  to see Catatonia and Embrace headlining but was suffering from hyperthermia so headed back to the tent to get warm and dry after Catatonia. The Beckham goal was good though 😂

2004 was on pyramid. I remember it as dry as well ?!?!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2004/jun/25/glastonbury2004.glastonbury3

Edited by Breeze

15 hours ago, Nestacres said:

I remember (vaguely) watching England v Columbia on a big screen at Glastonbury in 1998 but that was before the mobile phones era so i guess anyone who wants to watch it now could do so in their mobile but could be on somewhere

I remember watching highlights of the women's world cup on my phone in 2019. So yeah technology has changed. 

The rough rule was if there's a game on the wed/Thurs they'll put it on. Anything Friday onwards is a no go. 

It could be an England Vs Wales match up but they won't know that until after the festivals started. I guess if Wales qualify their last group match on the wednesday might be shown.

That England/Germany match was a nightmare. It was roasting hot, no shade, the field was packed, the field where it was shown was sort of off at the side and the game was awful. The worst thing I've ever done at glasto was watch that match. 

Did enjoy whatever matches I've seen on the Thursday though when it doesn't interfere with anything and you can watch it on the pyramid. 

18 hours ago, Alvoram said:

I love football, I love England and Derby... I've attended lots of England games, I had tickets to the Wembley games, including the semis and final, in 2021.

But I really wouldn't want to see England games shown at Glastonbury. Too much of a lottery, if they won, atmosphere would be superd, but if they lost, sadly way too many fans let a sport affect their emotions, attitude and behaviour. 

I guess we get used to it as Rams fans! 😂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Deviceing said:

Could they show a replay on the Pyramid at midnight? Would have to turn the sound right down but otherwise I don't think it would breach the license.

Anyone trying to spoil the result gets a kicking.

whatever-happened-to-the-likely-lads.jpg.aa3127b8d52f94a174c5a915bf52cb91.jpg

#OneForTheTeenagers 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, sedra said:

The problem with 2010 was that with it being shown on the pyramid on Weds loads more people arrived early to get set up before the match- queues to get in were horrible in very hot sun 🥵

I think that’s when everyone started arriving earlier to avoid queues on Weds and the car parks were opened up on Tuesday nights ? 

Remember that queue it was brutal!

I resorted to dragging my rucksack instead of carrying it and never noticed my sleeping bag had fallen off.  Didn’t even notice until I went to bed that night!

8 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

They should put some classic England games instead. Like the group games of Italia 90. 

You know when you watch old football clips on Youtube and it's incredible how bad the image quality is, even of relatively recent stuff.

That on the screens at the Pyramid. 

And no, I don't need anyone pointing out that Italia 90 isn't that recent. I'm fully aware of how long ago it was. I'm choosing not to think about it

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Deviceing said:

Could they show a replay on the Pyramid at midnight? Would have to turn the sound right down but otherwise I don't think it would breach the license.

Anyone trying to spoil the result gets a kicking.

12 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

whatever-happened-to-the-likely-lads.jpg.aa3127b8d52f94a174c5a915bf52cb91.jpg

#OneForTheTeenagers 

11 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Spoiler!  The games rained off, pitch flooded 😊😉

So long as you avoid this chap it'll all be OK 

MV5BNjI2ZmNkYmQtOGMwZi00ODY1LTg5ZDgtYTkyNDIzNmYyNzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIxMjk4Ng@@._V1_.jpg