England at Glasto

briddj

12 hours ago, Neil said:

probably not so likely with all the home teams qualifying - will mean a lot of games to facilitate.

In a way it sort of makes it more likely as they could do dedicated infrastructure for it, and it wouldn't just be used for one thing.

But I'd agree it won't happen. There were no plans in place for last time (we'd have seen it if so) so I think that ship has sailed.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:29 AM, Alvoram said:

I love football, I love England and Derby... I've attended lots of England games, I had tickets to the Wembley games, including the semis and final, in 2021.

But I really wouldn't want to see England games shown at Glastonbury. Too much of a lottery, if they won, atmosphere would be superd, but if they lost, sadly way too many fans let a sport affect their emotions, attitude and behaviour. 

Not sure I agree with that, I watched England v Portugal in 2004 when we lost on penalties on the big screen at the Pyramid stage and there was no problems around the site afterwards.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:29 AM, Alvoram said:

But I really wouldn't want to see England games shown at Glastonbury. Too much of a lottery, if they won, atmosphere would be superd, but if they lost, sadly way too many fans let a sport affect their emotions, attitude and behaviour. 

Nah, they'll all be busy throwing plastic chairs at the Polizei in the streets of Dusseldorf. 

There'll be zero problems at Glastonbury.

I've followed England away for over 20 years, and I'll be in Germany next summer, but after the 2010 game shown at Glastonbury I think it's definitely the right decision not to show any England game if it clashes with the main stages (Fri/Sat/Sun). I felt gutted to have missed a good chunk of precious Glastonbury Festival time on that Sunday afternoon in 2010.

The way I see it, if England win the game that weekend and you haven't watched it, you'll be happy regardless and have the next knockout game to look forward to, and if they lose and you'd watched it you'd be absolutely gutted not only about the result, but that you'd missed a cracking Sunday night at Glastonbury as well, double downer!

I personally don't think they'll show it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Franco Baresi said:

I've followed England away for over 20 years, and I'll be in Germany next summer, but after the 2010 game shown at Glastonbury I think it's definitely the right decision not to show any England game if it clashes with the main stages (Fri/Sat/Sun). I felt gutted to have missed a good chunk of precious Glastonbury Festival time on that Sunday afternoon in 2010.

The way I see it, if England win the game that weekend and you haven't watched it, you'll be happy regardless and have the next knockout game to look forward to, and if they lose and you'd watched it you'd be absolutely gutted not only about the result, but that you'd missed a cracking Sunday night at Glastonbury as well, double downer!

I personally don't think they'll show it.

I think most recent stance has been if its on the Weds or Thurs then they'll show it, if it clashes with the main part of the festival (Fri-Sun) then it won't be shown......think that changed after the 2010 World Cup/festival.

2012 - no festival

2014 - we were already out

2016 - played on the Monday most of us got home

2018 - no festival

2020 - COVID

2022 - world cup was in winter

Edited by gooner1990
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, clarkete said:

I remember years ago seeing part of a game from the outside of a tent, maybe one of the bars, so even if not on a stage they sometimes pop up somewhere...and you usually wish you'd done something else. 

We ended up watching about half of Brazil v Chile in the 2014 World Cup in the Williams Green bar as we were getting a drink/sheltering from the rain.....was actually a good laugh with about 10 people who were from Chile sat next to us.

Wouldn't have gone out of my way to do it mind.

1 hour ago, Franco Baresi said:

Exactly what I was going to post. I really don't see the point in watching it at all. Far more interesting things to be doing.

1 hour ago, gooner1990 said:

Not sure I agree with that, I watched England v Portugal in 2004 when we lost on penalties on the big screen at the Pyramid stage and there was no problems around the site afterwards.

There was no problems in terms of aggression or whatever.

But it did put a bit of a dampener on the atmosphere.

6 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Nah, they'll all be busy throwing plastic chairs at the Polizei in the streets of Dusseldorf. 

There'll be zero problems at Glastonbury.

I'll take your word for it... 🤞

To be honest.....  

We kind of know

England will start the game well and go into a half time time lead via Raheem Stirling hurling himself at a great low cross from Harry Kane who is coming of the back of a poor run of form for Chelsea but has played every minute for England.

England will come out for the second half looking Ok but for when Harry Kane is denied a penalty for what probably wasn't a foul  but enough to make fans foam at the mouth. 

On 60 minutes Southgate takes of Foden who has been the main creative force for Calvin Phillips and tells the players to sit back. 

England concede an equaliser after Harry Maguire loses an attack an falls over his own feet with an uncanny lack of awareness. 

Southgate then brings on Jordan Henderson for Stirling to really do whatever the tactics are supposed to be. 

Immediately after the Sub England are behind when Phillip's stupidly drags an opponent to the ground conceding an obvious foul. 

Penalty converted, England desperately push for an equaliser with Southgate's decision to take of attacking players  now looking down right daft. 

Harry Kane shoots over from 45 yards as the ref blows the whistle. 

FA immediately give Southgate a new 6 year contract for trying his best. 

But none of this matters as you forgot the football was on a you were of your nut in The Levels Stage and only found out the next day 

Sorry should have said spoiler alert.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

To be honest.....  

We kind of know

England will start the game well and go into a half time time lead via Raheem Stirling hurling himself at a great low cross from Harry Kane who is coming of the back of a poor run of form for Chelsea but has played every minute for England.

England will come out for the second half looking Ok but for when Harry Kane is denied a penalty for what probably wasn't a foul  but enough to make fans foam at the mouth. 

On 60 minutes Southgate takes of Foden who has been the main creative force for Calvin Phillips and tells the players to sit back. 

England concede an equaliser after Harry Maguire loses an attack an falls over his own feet with an uncanny lack of awareness. 

Southgate then brings on Jordan Henderson for Stirling to really do whatever the tactics are supposed to be. 

Immediately after the Sub England are behind when Phillip's stupidly drags an opponent to the ground conceding an obvious foul. 

Penalty converted, England desperately push for an equaliser with Southgate's decision to take of attacking players  now looking down right daft. 

But none of this matters as you forgot the football was on a you were of your nut in The Levels Stage and only found out the next day 

Bookmarked.

• Like 1

previously when they've shown the football there's only been the England matches to show. this time they'd also be Scotland and wales, and the logistics of three teams probably makes it awkward.

the festival will probably show the matches to avoid the possibility of lots of people trying to leave(to go to a pub to watch) and then come back.

On 12/3/2023 at 5:14 AM, Gutterflower said:

Remember seeing England vs Germany with "That" disallowed Lampard goal at the festival in (I think?) 2010. It was quite something to see so many people get up on their feet in celebration and then instantly watch the disbelief and anger that swept through the field.

Same with Sol Campbell (iirc) in '04. The disbelief swept slowly.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:18 AM, sedra said:

The problem with 2010 was that with it being shown on the pyramid on Weds loads more people arrived early to get set up before the match- queues to get in were horrible in very hot sun 🥵

I think that’s when everyone started arriving earlier to avoid queues on Weds and the car parks were opened up on Tuesday nights ? 

As I posted earlier. 2010 was The Start of everyone turning up on The Wednesday imo. A lot to do with that game.

On 12/3/2023 at 11:50 AM, Breeze said:

That was a bigger crowd watching the game than in the stadium apparently. So biggest crowd watching the game anywhere. And on lots more mushrooms due to them being legal then. 

Was quite an experience, but I am still completely ambivalent about them showing any football at Glasto Fri-Sat. There would always be something else on I’d prefer to see - that game was a Thursday which is a bit different.

80,000 according to the Motty commentary. 60.000 if you read The Guardian.

17 hours ago, dondo said:

So long as you avoid this chap it'll all be OK 

MV5BNjI2ZmNkYmQtOGMwZi00ODY1LTg5ZDgtYTkyNDIzNmYyNzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODIxMjk4Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Top TV that.

Is that the sometimes ITV wrestler Brian Glover? Saw him in a play on a school trip once. Tetley. Make Tea Bags. Make Tea.

16 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

Would be amazing watching a big England game with a Pyramid size crowd. I'd definitely go.

2004 was incredible. Despite losing. Weds or Thu only though. Unless it's a final.

14 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

It may have possibly got more lairy if they'd won?

6 hours ago, Ben7amin_ said:

To be honest.....  

We kind of know

Brilliant. Out of upvotes.

_____

As is traditional for me to post in these threads that crop up every two years:

England v Germany V Slash into Ray Davies? Biggest no brainer ever.

• Like 1

No skin in the game this year, but my abiding memory of the 2010 Sunday debacle was leaving at half time purely because it was absolutely ruining everyone's (and by extension my) mood.  Sure, if Eng win a game then everyone's in a good mood.  But the mood in that field during the Germany game was just...depressing. Blazing sun on a glorious Sunday afternoon at Glastonbury, and all I could see were angry unhappy people.

The gamble's not worth it for me.

My shift to the London Community Gospel Choir on the Horlicks Stage was a far better use of my time.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1

Due to the overall cost, I gave up my football season ticket in 2010 and decided I should go to more gigs and festivals instead, including my first Glastonbury. I've missed out on being at some great sporting occasions as a result but I'm certain I've had a lot more fun from music events.

They should do what Bearded Theory do with Champions League finals. Stick it on a radio in a bar.

Although I always enjoy the big international football tournaments, I'm not really arsed if England, Scotland or Wales win or lose. I'd rather football was left in the outside world. I even get slightly irked when I see football flags or t-shirts at festivals. Ridiculous I know but it sort of brings a bit of tribalism to an event where I like to think we are all in it together as one.

12 hours ago, Neil said:

previously when they've shown the football there's only been the England matches to show. this time they'd also be Scotland and wales, and the logistics of three teams probably makes it awkward.

the festival will probably show the matches to avoid the possibility of lots of people trying to leave(to go to a pub to watch) and then come back.

They have the option of suspending pass-outs for a bit if needed.

2014 didn't seem to have any visible areas it could be shown if it came to it, they'd been clear they wouldn't be showing it if it happened, and there didn't really seem to be much fuss about it pre-festival. 

12 hours ago, Neil said:

The festival will not officially show any football on any big screens, guaranteed.

I really can't see large numbers of loony's leaving site to try to find an already packed pub.

12 hours ago, Neil said:

Why would the festival care if people come and go? Tens of thousands go in and out of the gates every day. It’s up to those people if they want to waste their time or not. 

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

Why would the festival care if people come and go? Tens of thousands go in and out of the gates every day. It’s up to those people if they want to waste their time or not. 

Because if they go into the local area trying to find a pub to watch it on, en masse, it causes major complaints from locals. I believe it's cropped up in licensing hearings before - the necessity for the festival to ensure punters stay within the festival grounds.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Because if they go into the local area trying to find a pub to watch it on, en masse, it causes major complaints from locals. I believe it's cropped up in licensing hearings before - the necessity for the festival to ensure punters stay within the festival grounds.

Yet the festival operate bus services to Glastonbury town, Wells and Shepton Mallet all through the festival several times per hour!