England at Glasto

briddj

3 hours ago, Quark said:

No skin in the game this year, but my abiding memory of the 2010 Sunday debacle was leaving at half time purely because it was absolutely ruining everyone's (and by extension my) mood.  Sure, if Eng win a game then everyone's in a good mood.  But the mood in that field during the Germany game was just...depressing. Blazing sun on a glorious Sunday afternoon at Glastonbury, and all I could see were angry unhappy people.

The gamble's not worth it for me.

My shift to the London Community Gospel Choir on the Horlicks Stage was a far better use of my time.

I left at half time, sporting a tshirt that said "RUTHLESS GERMAN EFFICIENCY" on the front...

🤣

i very much align myself with Gnom's position - i just don't think football and music festivals, particularly glastonbury, mix well. I don't mind seeing people in shirts so much, assuming they're crap teams - but you just know a drunk Man United fan will take umbrage at a Liverpool fan in a shirt and there'll be some form of cocaine-induced 'banter' over it and i dunno, i'd far rather celebrate similarities than differences. Bristol City and Rovers fans call each other scum, but obvs they're the very same people. Don't divide! 

International football is easier for me to not get too bothered by because Ireland are really crap at the mo and wont be qualifying for anything for a while yet, alas. I'd watch all the home nations and will typically get right into a tournament, but if i'm at glastonbury i dont have enough brain bandwidth to be dealing with the vagaries of a tournament AND all the musical and other shenanigans going on. So i'll ignore it all until i'm back in the land of the normals, and then i can watch what i've missed. 

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Why would the festival care if people come and go? Tens of thousands go in and out of the gates every day. It’s up to those people if they want to waste their time or not. 

that's the exact reason the festival  has given me for why its shown the football in the past.

They care because they don't want the blame for festival goers causing chaos in nearby towns.

2 hours ago, Skip997 said:

I really can't see large numbers of loony's leaving site to try to find an already packed pub.

for plenty its an essential - just think of the numbers in the field to watch it when its been shown in the past.

44 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Bristol City and Rovers fans call each other scum, but obvs they're the very same people. Don't divide! 

not the same people - different sides of the river.

8 minutes ago, Neil said:

for plenty its an essential - just think of the numbers in the field to watch it when its been shown in the past.

On the World Cup matches, she says: “If it was on Sunday at nine o’clock in the morning, you could obviously put it on the main stage and it wouldn’t matter. But we don’t have a field big enough spare to put an enormous game on, potentially at that time when we are dealing with 177,000 people. We can’t just put it on at that time of day. It’s also… a music event!

https://www.nme.com/news/music/glastonbury-58-1245354

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

Its a last 16 game in a Mickey Mouse tournament where only 4 teams have a chance. The match means f**k all in isolation and if we lose, then you'd be glad you missed it. If we win, watch the next one. Don't understand the obsession (and I'm a big football fan).

Not sure about only 4 teams having a chance but I agree with this!

If people are that bothered about watching a last 16 game whilst at Glastonbury, watch it down your local and put your tickets back in the resale for the rest of us....

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mjfromthelane said:

Not sure about only 4 teams having a chance but I agree with this!

If people are that bothered about watching a last 16 game whilst at Glastonbury, watch it down your local and put your tickets back in the resale for the rest of us....

This!!!!

I'll try and find my favourite football at Glastonbury photos later

1 hour ago, Neil said:

they managed to find a field for it on several occasions.

Not on any vaguely recent occasion where there was a possibility of a game conflicting with headline performances.

Ultimately - anyone who wants to watch it can do so. They just need to bring one of these with them, or one of many other portable devices. Then find a corner of the site to settle down for a couple hours.

On 12/3/2023 at 2:29 AM, Alvoram said:

I love football, I love England and Derby... I've attended lots of England games, I had tickets to the Wembley games, including the semis and final, in 2021.

But I really wouldn't want to see England games shown at Glastonbury. Too much of a lottery, if they won, atmosphere would be superd, but if they lost, sadly way too many fans let a sport affect their emotions, attitude and behaviour. 

I dont think it would ruin the atmosphere that much if england got dumped out the tournament, it would make infinitely better for me anyway.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

Not on any vaguely recent occasion where there was a possibility of a game conflicting with headline performances.

Ultimately - anyone who wants to watch it can do so. They just need to bring one of these with them, or one of many other portable devices. Then find a corner of the site to settle down for a couple hours.

There are always places "unofficially" showing England games.

Just now, SilverLining said:

I dont think it would ruin the atmosphere that much if england got dumped out the tournament, it would make infinitely better for me anyway.

Ironically, as someone mentioned earlier, England winning could have just as bad an effect.

Doubly pissed up "bucket hatters" singing sh*t footy songs and going round with that aggressive football celebration attitude.

3 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

There are always places "unofficially" showing England games.

Sure, but that's not the conversation. Especially as many of the places you're talking about won't (officially) be accessible to the public.

Edited by incident

2 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

Ironically, as someone mentioned earlier, England winning could have just as bad an effect.

Doubly pissed up "bucket hatters" singing sh*t footy songs and going round with that aggressive football celebration attitude.

It's also worth mentioning that it's possible (though at this point seems unlikely to pan out that way), that one of the games could be England vs Scotland or England vs Wales.

im not bothered either way .... might watch it might not , have in the past because its been a decent atmosphere if not a little sad at the losses but that soon gets forgotten once back amongst it again ...... not sure the festival has the space these days and would far rather the space be given to more space for camping .. that Portugal game was amazing but then ive not yet watched a game in a big stadium ... each to there own though its 90mins in the scheme of a 5 day festival 

6 hours ago, Superscally said:

Its a last 16 game in a Mickey Mouse tournament where only 4 teams have a chance. The match means f**k all in isolation and if we lose, then you'd be glad you missed it. If we win, watch the next one. Don't understand the obsession (and I'm a big football fan).

The Euros is in no way a Mickey Mouse tournament lol

It's the sporting event people in this country care about second most (after the football World Cup)

If it’s on Wednesday or Thursday, I think it has a pretty good sense of occasion.

However, during the festival proper, and once we’re into the knockouts my theory is:

* If they win there will be games to watch when I get back

* If they lose I don’t want to see it because it’s a total let down that I really don’t need while I’m at Glastonbury.

As for 5pm on Sunday - definitely not the way I would want to be spending several of my last few hours there (bearing in mind you could also get extra time and penalties)

I’m saying this as a massive football fan, who has actually enjoyed watching football at Glastonbury in the past. I’m not saying people shouldn’t do it, but just advising that it’s really not the best use of your time in my experience.