England at Glasto

briddj

15 minutes ago, briddj said:

Thought I'd start this off for anyone who is going to ask!

England's Round of 16 game will be on the Sunday if they win the group, Saturday if runners-up.

Would have to go through in 3rd to play on the Monday or Tuesday.

Waited a long time to say this

Scotland  at  Glasto😊😉!  And maybe hopefully Wales

Edited by Ayrshire Chris
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

More than likely.

Doubt it will. Definitely shouldn't.

I can't remember exactly which year, but since the debacle in 2010 there's only been one year where there was a potential clash, and the Festival were quite emphatic in saying "No, we're definitely not showing it if it clashes with the main stages". Though in the end England didn't get out of the group, and so they didn't need to put it into practice.

29 minutes ago, mttJ said:

Not sure why it “definitely shouldn’t”, let people do what they want

Will be a 5pm kick-off on the Sunday, should we win the group

People can do what they want. They can stream it on 5G or whatever - as long as they're not in a heavily populated part of the site it would be fine on Voda or EE.

But for the Festival to actively show it would mean them having to go out of their way - either setting aside dedicated space(s) or stopping the music on one of the major stages for (at minimum) 2 hours and use the screens. They did try setting up space in 2010 and it didn't work at all well, hence in 2014 they made it clear that they wouldn't show any (potential) game.

That's why they definitely shouldn't.

Edited by incident
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, incident said:

Doubt it will. Definitely shouldn't.

I can't remember exactly which year, but since the debacle in 2010 there's only been one year where there was a potential clash, and the Festival were quite emphatic in saying "No, we're definitely not showing it if it clashes with the main stages". Though in the end England didn't get out of the group, and so they didn't need to put it into practice.

Indeed it did, for 2014. And as noted, that was a year England crashed out of the World Cup in the group so it became irrelevant.

I presumed there was like a side-area where someone might be showing all the games. But maybe I was mistaken. Certainly, that would count as a rather whopping distraction to the main reason everyone's there.

2 hours ago, CY 2019 said:

I remember watching England vs Portugal on the Pyramid in Euro 2004.

Think that was the Wes or Thu evening and they even showed the crowd watching at Glasto at half time. 

But as a general rule Football is boring as all hell. Now the British Lions on the other hand. That’s different. 

Was amazing on the pyramid stage in 2005 even though we did get tonked. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, CY 2019 said:

Yeah it was torrential rain and we got soaked - it was shown in the old outdoor cinema field. 
we went round to the NME stage ( Other)after  to see Catatonia and Embrace headlining but was suffering from hyperthermia so headed back to the tent to get warm and dry after Catatonia. The Beckham goal was good though 😂

1 hour ago, Nestacres said:

I remember (vaguely) watching England v Columbia on a big screen at Glastonbury in 1998 but that was before the mobile phones era so i guess anyone who wants to watch it now could do so in their mobile but could be on somewhere

Yeah, it's fair to say that technology has moved on, and has pretty much made it so that anyone who does want to follow the game no longer needs to rely on the Festival showing it. I believe in 1998 they had a screen set up in the old Cinema field to show games which would've worked without conflict because the outdoor cinema only ran after dark.

However these days, the festival doesn't have much of that kind of space that can safely handle an influx and be available for a potential 5pm or 8pm ko - yes, I know Sunday 5pm is the more likely scenrio - but they'd still have to plan for both eventualities. And if they're planning for a potential England game, they'd also have to plan for a potential Scotland match as well (and Wales, if they qualify). So it quickly does become a headache that immediately rules out using the Pyramid/Other/WH/etc.

The only potential place I can think of would be if they put a screen up alongside IICON or something. But even then they'd likely run into the same issues they hit in 2010 with the potential for the field to get full / need to be closed and the knock on effect on the music stages (still gutted I missed Slash - thankfully I bailed on the football early enough to see Ray Davies).

It's also worth mentioning that these days you can get portable TVs for about a hundred quid, that run off a built in rechargeable battery and can handle Freeview content, so that'd be an option for anyone who doesn't want to miss a potential match and is concerned about data reliability. Especially as the local TV mast is less than 10 miles (and easily visible) from the festival site so even the crappiest portable aerial should do the job.

8 minutes ago, sedra said:

Yeah it was torrential rain and we got soaked - it was shown in the old outdoor cinema field. 
we went round to the NME stage ( Other)after  to see Catatonia and Embrace headlining but was suffering from hyperthermia so headed back to the tent to get warm and dry after Catatonia. The Beckham goal was good though 😂

That was 1998! 2004 was warm and dry, with no Catatonia in sight 

3 hours ago, CY 2019 said:

1 hour ago, Franky said:

Think that was the Wes or Thu evening and they even showed the crowd watching at Glasto at half time. 

It was the Thursday. One of my top Pyramid memories. We were robbed.

______

I've always thought that there's a case to be made that the England V Somebody (possibly Lithuania?) game in a big competition kicking off late afternoon on the Wednesday one year was the start of the majority of people turning up on the day the gates open. First time we'd turned up on a Wednesday and struggled to get a camping spot.

______

Now that almost everyone brings a tablet or mobile I don't really see the need to set up a field or schedule a viewing Fri-Sun. Wed or Thu bring it on.

I love football, I love England and Derby... I've attended lots of England games, I had tickets to the Wembley games, including the semis and final, in 2021.

But I really wouldn't want to see England games shown at Glastonbury. Too much of a lottery, if they won, atmosphere would be superd, but if they lost, sadly way too many fans let a sport affect their emotions, attitude and behaviour. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I've always thought that there's a case to be made that the England V Somebody (possibly Lithuania?) game in a big competition kicking off late afternoon on the Wednesday one year was the start of the majority of people turning up on the day the gates open. First time we'd turned up on a Wednesday and struggled to get a camping spot.

2010. Roasting. Was shown on the Pyramid mid Wednesday afternoon. Win v Slovenia to set up the Germany shambles on the Sunday.

Be interesting to see if they do plan to show games. Demand is always there for a big group watch. Imagine they will somewhere

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Remember seeing England vs Germany with "That" disallowed Lampard goal at the festival in (I think?) 2010. It was quite something to see so many people get up on their feet in celebration and then instantly watch the disbelief and anger that swept through the field. 

And to be honest I wouldnt be against them showing games but only if it didnt interfere with the music and i think if its not a wednesday or thursday kick off thats impossible.

As has been said, people have mobiles these days and its easy enough to watch it if people really want.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Serenefishy said:

10 years ago this would have been important to me but I feel like my interest in football has dipped a lot, particularly Internationals. I'd probably only watch this if I was very hungover and wanted a sit down.

Same. It's been a good few years since I cared about football. I mean I was never as into it as some, but it was a big part of my life.

Feels quite liberating, not caring.

6 hours ago, Alvoram said:

But I really wouldn't want to see England games shown at Glastonbury. Too much of a lottery, if they won, atmosphere would be superd, but if they lost, sadly way too many fans let a sport affect their emotions, attitude and behaviour. 

We all saw the hysteria when England reached the final of the last Euros, and that was before the game even started. So, yeah, can agree that much as I still like football, some people take it stupidly seriously.