The most you’ve ever paid for a gig?

Hugh Jass II

21 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

No word for please though. Apparently. Never actually checked but was told this by different Danes. One reckoned that it wasn't needed as the please is implied. So if you are asking someone for something then of course you are asking politely and respectfully because why wouldn't you. The other reckoned that Danes are just rude.

True. Same than the Dutch, there IS a word, it is just mostly implied indeed. So half correct. Still find it mildly rude and force my better half to add the magic word once in a while because it was ingrained in me from a young age that you have to say PLEASE when you want something 🙂 

On the other hand the "sorry sorry excuse me oh so sorry thank you so much " in the uk when getting bumped around  at a gig does not sound very convincing...

3 minutes ago, moogster said:

True. Same than the Dutch, there IS a word, it is just mostly implied indeed. So half correct. Still find it mildly rude and force my better half to add the magic word once in a while because it was ingrained in me from a young age that you have to say PLEASE when you want something 🙂 

On the other hand the "sorry sorry excuse me oh so sorry thank you so much " in the uk when getting bumped around  at a gig does not sound very convincing...

It's not supposed to because it actually means "look at this  fucking idiot, what the fuck does he think he's doing, daring to make the slightest contact with me in this very crowded space, I wish he would fucking die. No offence." The no offence is very important.

We're an angry people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moogster said:

2013 too and I went digging and paid exactly 100 Euros for each show. I guess with inflation it would be much higher now though. Venue of 1500 . I am pretty sure we were on the left end side of that pic on the balcony for one of the shows! 😮

dow-20130811-paradiso-amsterdam-show_2-p

Found what date I went to. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/prince/2013/auditorium-stravinski-montreux-switzerland-1bc6b96c.html

He was great and is a big favourite of my other half, so it was well worth it to me.

I'd never been to that part of Switzerland before so it worked out to be a really nice trip. 

• Like 1

It was Taylor Swift (bought a last minute pit ticket for £90) which honestly was worth it. Absolutely stunning set design, had an amazing view and the whole gig had such a good atmosphere.

Managed to smash that last year with a £110 (plus fees) ticket for kpop band Loona. They were fantastic performers, and now that they're mostly likely disbanding this year I'm quite glad I've seen them live.

2 hours ago, cdm22 said:

I think about £100/£110 for the Royal Albert Hall gigs for The Cure and decent seats for Hans Zimmer. There are not many I would pay that much for.

Oh, just remembered we paid £125 each for 3rd row Pet Shop Boys tickets last year. Very much a one off though as making up for being right at the back of the Royal Opera House a previous time we saw them.

After fees, £101 for Metallica at the O2 Arena.

Worst thing was the huge queue which they couldn't deal with so walked into the venue just as The Ecstasy of Gold was starting. Lots of people still outside. But they were great - clearly spent a bit of money on the stage setup with drones flying about during Moth into Flame. Also being in the round meant, despite my late arrival, I still got a decent spot.

This year I'm seeing Elton John, also at the O2 Arena. Got a set of good seats for me and my mum and paid £135 each. If I was going solo, I'd sell them and just see him at Glastonbury though.

Edited by aidenlangan95

10 hours ago, aidenlangan95 said:

After fees, £101 for Metallica at the O2 Arena.

Worst thing was the huge queue which they couldn't deal with so walked into the venue just as The Ecstasy of Gold was starting. Lots of people still outside. But they were great - clearly spent a bit of money on the stage setup with drones flying about during Moth into Flame. Also being in the round meant, despite my late arrival, I still got a decent spot.

This year I'm seeing Elton John, also at the O2 Arena. Got a set of good seats for me and my mum and paid £135 each. If I was going solo, I'd sell them and just see him at Glastonbury though.

What a gig that was!

And yeah, the O2 system for standing punters is absolute bobbins - missed about 30 minutes of Chemical Bros a few years ago because they insisted every single person went through scanners and they had only about three 😕 

Edited by ilovelanegan
added info

On 1/19/2023 at 10:17 AM, Neil said:

Fifty quid for a ticket from a tout for a David Byrne show in London. 

On 1/19/2023 at 10:18 AM, Neil said:

I I'd driven from Devon for it so wasn't going to miss it would have paid a hundred if I had to 

You've reminded me of heading off on me todd to London to see Bowie's Sound & Vision tour with no ticket on the off chance (had to look it up. 1990).

First person I saw with a Bowie shirt on I asked if they had a spare and I got lucky.

Me: "I'll give you what you paid for it".

Them: "Well that's all the person who dropped out asked for. But you'd better dance. I hate people that don't dance".

I know I can't really dance but sometimes you just can't help yourself. Would've paid a lot more.

I was meant to be at work. My excuse of a stomach bug the next day got me sent to the doctors to have my faeces tested (catering job) and cost me wages.

So that was an expensive gig. Totally worth it.

Now. I've just read the above back to myself and the unintentional innuendo is terrible. Anyway. Post and be damned I guess.

On 1/19/2023 at 10:28 AM, BenG92 said:

Oh I'm paying £100 for an "alright" seat for Roger Waters, plus a cheap hotel and return coach to Brum, that's up there too. Probably my last chance to see any part of Pink Floyd. Would have preferred Dave but I'll take it. 

On 1/19/2023 at 3:20 PM, maelzoid said:

I dropped about £500 for a pair of tickets to Roger Waters at the NEC during his 2018 tour. They were 'platinum' priced but were literally front row. In the end logistics getting to Brum got the better of me, and I had to sell them on ebay for a minor loss. Ended up in the cheap 'seats' at Hyde Park for the same tour, which while way cheaper obviously a lesser experience. A lesson learned.

Was chatting to a mate recently about seeing RW's The Wall tour between 2010-2013. Couldn't believe looking back how cheap it seemed to us at today's prices.

Totally worth it (Also would prefer David ("Always David. Not Dave")).

Edited by MrZigster

I paid $900 + fees (total, over $1000) for 1 ticket to the upcoming Joni Mitchell gig in Washington.  It's not even a tout ticket, it's just shitty ticketmaster and their premium seating bullshit. Its 10th row center.  Made me sick to my stomach to do it, but I know I'd regret it forever if I didn't pull the trigger.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

I paid $900 + fees (total, over $1000) for 1 ticket to the upcoming Joni Mitchell gig in Washington.  It's not even a tout ticket, it's just shitty ticketmaster and their premium seating bullshit. Its 10th row center.  Made me sick to my stomach to do it, but I know I'd regret it forever if I didn't pull the trigger.  

Whilst I probably couldn't justify that price (unless I have a large lottery win) that's going to be a special one. Expecting to get a full rundown in the gig reviews thread. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Olshansky said:

The Gorge is a really beautiful venue on top of that.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:01 AM, ilovelanegan said:

What a gig that was!

And yeah, the O2 system for standing punters is absolute bobbins - missed about 30 minutes of Chemical Bros a few years ago because they insisted every single person went through scanners and they had only about three 😕 

That sucks - guess thats what happens when you don't usually have dance acts. i'd be absolutely fuming.

Can't remember the price, but as a youngster I went to see Metallica at Birmingham NEC in 1992.  Had to buy a coach package from Sheffield as I didn't drive.  I was working part time and at college at the time and that night cost me more than I earned in a month.

Elton at Dublin 3Arena 2019 was around €100 each ticket and that's the most I've paid recently.  Was part of a 4 day city break to Dublin though and the overall cost was a LOT more than that!

Most of the stuff I'd pay to see these days would be relatively low price.  I rarely breach £40 - £50 for most gigs as I prefer smaller venues.  Larger Stadium and Arena gigs just feel like corporate money sucking and completely soulless.  Even if it's a huge production I almost never enjoy them so rarely bother.

2 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

around 400 pesos (about 80-85 pounds) to see Bjork, 2012, Biophilia residence in Buenos Aires. First row, seat 1 (center). I paid the same for 3 other dates in similar places. Saw her 4 times in a week. She was about 2 meters away from me. 

Were you there anyway or went there especially? 

Was it as great as you'd hope? 

Edited by clarkete

3 hours ago, Calvin Klein said:

around 400 pesos (about 80-85 pounds) to see Bjork, 2012, Biophilia residence in Buenos Aires. First row, seat 1 (center). I paid the same for 3 other dates in similar places. Saw her 4 times in a week. She was about 2 meters away from me. 

When we lived in Canada I took my wife to see Bjork. Symphony hall type venue. It wasn’t really her thing. She slept through a lot of it. Now that’s what I call an expensive ticket….

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:00 PM, Suprefan said:

The Gorge is a really beautiful venue on top of that.

Wonder if part of that can come with picturesque venues. Red Rocks looks like such an amazing venue but I saw some tix for Arctic Monkeys there being resold for over $1,000 and I imagine other artists playing there can have their resales having a Red Rocks premium.

I've seen pictures of The Gorge tbf. It does look like it'd be a really cool place to go.

• I paid about £130 to see Taylor Swift in the Etihad on the Reputation Tour. It seemed a LOT at the time but the show was such a spectacle that it kind of made sense. It was up there with any tour by the Stones, Floyd, etc. This is the view I had

20180608_204233.jpg