Headliners 2023

Crazyfool01

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

i wouldn't think it was weird if it had happened 20 years ago, its 2023 that makes it weird.

The Who, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Metallica and The Cure have all headlined in the past decade. Not exactly vital, fresh new sounds coming from El Pointo every night.

Edited by Alex DeLarge

14 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

The Who, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Metallica and The Cure have all headlined in the past decade. Not exactly vital, fresh new sounds coming from El Pointo every night.

its not about the age of gnr, its about that they're shit.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Far be it from me to defend a band where (at least) one member turned out to be a raging Nazi but Mumfords were one of the most in-demand bands on the planet at the time they played. This year’s trio of past it legacy acts doesn’t compare well to 2013 at all. 2014 though yes absolutely diabolical, even before the Win Butler stuff .

This is the biggest trio they've ever had. You're kidding yourself.

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Hopefully Park or John Peel have something for me. Maybe even the Other. Looking forward to seeing the alternatives.

Is the consensus that AM are Friday due to tour dates so GnR Saturday? 

Also the guy on the AM forum who has spot on info for them said Friday

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

Now I really need it to be AM so that I dont spend all three nights at the Pyramid. Love this time of year, so excited for June!

Me too, I'm pretty excited now. Feels like it's actually happening!

Two headliners I'd quite like to see but no 100% must-sees for me is a nice position to be in. 

57 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

In fairness all of those are still releasing new material. 

Will concur with the belief that there's been few bigger trios than an Arctic Monkeys/Guns 'n' Roses/Elton John combo. (The 2016 run of Muse/Adele/Coldplay and 2017 run of Radiohead/Foo Fighters/Ed Sheeran certainly springs to mind.)

It's three stadium acts effectively, or at the very least three who have played stadiums in the eighteen months surrounding their Glastonbury appearance.

But I concur Guns 'n' Roses feels a strange booking. I'm all for Glastonbury embracing hard rock and heavy metal options atop the bill, and there are only a few who could feasibly hold a candle in size to go alongside the appeal of the other two. But still, there is something a little... odd about it.

• Like 1

Just now, NorthernSoul52 said:

But I concur Guns 'n' Roses feels a strange booking. I'm all for Glastonbury embracing hard rock and heavy metal options atop the bill, and there are only a few who could feasibly hold a candle in size to go alongside the appeal of the other two. But still, there is something a little... odd about it.

It's an openly progressive festival with a huge focus on gender equality in recent years, booking one of the most ladsladslads acts out there. 

(Not saying they shouldn't, just that's why it feels weird)

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

In fairness all of those are still releasing new material. 

GNR released 2 singles last year.

I assume they're dogshit, but so is basically everything released by those acts in the last 20+ years. I assume. I haven't listened to them. Like 99% of people who know songs by them.

People just want the hits. No-one gives a fuck about new material.

And GNR have plenty of hits.

Edited by ghostdancer1
  • Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, Neil said:

its not about the age of gnr, its about that they're shit.

They're shit in your opinion. I quite like some of their songs

Do think they look shit live though so will most likely be elsewhere. Axl was rubbish when I saw them 11 years ago 

6 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's an openly progressive festival with a huge focus on gender equality in recent years, booking one of the most ladsladslads acts out there. 

(Not saying they shouldn't, just that's why it feels weird)

The fact that gender balance is now a key consideration and a significant topic of discussion is a positive step forward. So it feels like a weird trio because that's where (most of) our heads are (rightly) at these days. 

Ensuring that balance will undoubtedly be on GFL's mind, certainly on Emily's. Pulling that off with who's available is a challenge. I'm sure Emily will address it publicly over the coming months once the lineup really takes shape, in fact she's probably got something already mapped out.

Just now, she bangs the drums said:

Slash was fantastic last time he played in 2010 and my 10 year old daughter at that time is caught singing on camera 55 seconds in!

Imagine what it is going to be like with 60,000 watching and the full band. I cannot wait

Let's just hope there's no football on...

• Upvote 1