Coldplay - Why the hate?

Alvoram

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Surprised to see their latest album has sold only 100,000 copies in the UK....they used to sell 2-3 million each one that came out....When I used to work at HMV in 2005-06 ish Coldplay were easily the biggest seller.....usually to Mums! 😄 

I think that’s more a reflection of how albums are consumed now… People will just listen to the best individual songs on spotify… Not sure how that reflects.

It peaked at number 1 and still sits at number 40 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Upvote 1

The hate is all rather dull. I never understand it when there is so so much worse. 

a general rule I have is if an act is honest and just being themselves then go for it. If I don’t happen to like the style then so be it. 

I’ve got far more respect for an act that does what they want than a contrived, trying to be cool, be over in a year NME shite.

keane is a another example. People hate them but all they’ve ever done is just write music that they personally enjoy and like. Nothing else. Somehow this is less celebrated than some try hard w*nk that follows the latest trend. I don’t Particularly like Keane at all but I’ve got more repeat for anyone that does their own thing and doesn’t care if Noel G/ other celebrities like them. 

finally… liking Coldplay or not is up for discussion. Saying Coldplay are not a worthy headliner for Glastonbury is laughable. Watch their last headlining performance.  They’ve just sold out 6 nights at Wembley stadium and are the perfect Glasto headliners for so many reasons. 

Edited by danbailey80

Envy I guess. They are very successful the world over. What's that saying.... No one is a prophet in their own land. U2 are not appreciated by the Irish (I am generalizing here). I have recently become a fan of Måneskin and they get that treatment in Italy.

I wasn't all that familiar with Coldplay until I saw them at Glastonbury(2011). Brilliant show.

Edited by Watergirl

I think the hate is a reaction to their ubiquity and popularity. U2 receive similar as well. There are many other bands who are musically way worse but don't get a fraction of the hate. But round these parts I think it has become a bit of a joke that people play up to. Sure a few here genuinely hate them, but my guess is many here are just using them as an easy punchline to a joke.

I was at the show last Friday and it was brilliant and utterly spectacular. I think the setlist was a bit heavy on the obvious pop hits for my taste, I certainly would have liked a few more deeper cuts to give it some more variety, but Sparks was a lovely inclusion. I think it's far harder to communicate joy and positive vibes than to be depressing and downbeat. Coldplay are masters of the former and don't get the credit for it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Envy I guess. They are very successful the world over. What's that saying.... No one is a prophet in their own land. U2 are not appreciated by the Irish (I am generalizing here). I have recently become a fan of Måneskin and they get that treatment in Italy.

I wasn't all that familiar with Coldplay until I saw them at Glastonbury(2011). Brilliant show.

I was travelling round Asia in 2003 and Rush Of Blood To The Head was being promoted everywhere, even playing on airport TVs in several countries. Great album forever intertwined with beaches and Bangkok for me

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Not my cup of tea, never gonna hate on them. 

Happy for the people who are into them and its "trendy" to give them some stick though I don't know why ?

I do like The Pet Shops Boys Vida La Vida/Domino Dancing and would have been happy if he had come on and done that this year.

Not sure why all the hate really - people always start the negatives once bands start to get really popular - especially after great first and second albums. Coldplay have always put on a great show and I would have gone to Wembley had I realised they were there. 
I seem to have nearly all their albums and still really like listening and sadly I like being able to sing along to all the hits. I equally like new music and at 62yrs am happy to explore new stuff introduced to me by my niece that I have never heard of. There is room for everyone including Coldplay ( some exceptions of course- weird jazz, weird metal and lift Muzak etc) 

each to their own I suppose 😀

Tuesday was a spectacular show, not that I expected anything less. 2016 Glastonbury is one of the best things I've ever seen too. 

I got into them with Rush of Blood and im a really big fan, but I've never really got the love for Parachutes. Few good songs but nothing special for me. Bit boring ironically considering the abuse they get and me loving them 😂

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Like 1

Familiarity breeds contempt. I’ve seen them headline GF twice (11 and 16) and enjoyed them both, but they’ve headlined four times and even when they’re not playing Chris Martin seems to pop up every fucking where else on site! Plenty of regular attendees are just sick of him popping up everywhere.

As others have said, their first two albums are genuinely great, but then it goes from good to ok to flat out dull to their recent output that’s just shit. They shouldn’t be headlining anywhere on the last 2-3 records which have all been dire.

Then there’s Chris himself. It’s funny, he comes across as a genuinely nice guy who loves the festival and cares deeply about so many worthy causes… but it’s still impossible not to think he’s a bit of a git.

8 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Surprised to see their latest album has sold only 100,000 copies in the UK....they used to sell 2-3 million each one that came out....When I used to work at HMV in 2005-06 ish Coldplay were easily the biggest seller.....usually to Mums! 😄 

That’s just a reflection on album sales now more than anything! Their opening sales were very very impressive compared to a lot of recent albums. 

It sold 100k+ in its first week so it’ll be quite a bit above that now though. 

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

In short, its someone who has a big interest in anthropomorphic animals. Giant human-sized foxes etc.

Think Japan, manga, wearing tails, all that sort of thing. Its a fascinating subculture, i think it's a kind of escapism from the human form.  

its a sex thing, though, right?

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Familiarity breeds contempt. I’ve seen them headline GF twice (11 and 16) and enjoyed them both, but they’ve headlined four times and even when they’re not playing Chris Martin seems to pop up every fucking where else on site! Plenty of regular attendees are just sick of him popping up everywhere.

He came twice in 20 years (and the same weekend) as a guest, will probably never do it again given the slack he received afterwards, and yet this forum seems to think he’s popping up everywhere. That’s just not fair.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

They shouldn’t be headlining anywhere on the last 2-3 records which have all been dire.

Yes they have been hit and miss in the last ten years, and they certainly peaked at Viva, but Everyday Life alone was one of their best records. 

Edited by VCF

12 hours ago, Watergirl said:

That saying is great, never heard that before.

Just got back home from a few days in London, and was also there in Wembley on Wednesday Night.  What a night - it was an absolutely incredible show from start to finish - one of the best I have seen.  I get why they get so much much flak because they could never be described as cool, and people love to be seen as cool.  However we had a great night and from the atmosphere in the place, so did the rest of the crowd.  They played for 2hrs 15mins and it was just great fun all the way through.  They just have so many big tunes and the pace never really let up - apart from the bit where Shaznay came out and did two songs!  They really could have done without that bit imho.  Some of the newer stuff did sound really good live - you get the impression they are writing stuff now with Stadiums in mind, because it makes more sense when you hear them in that environment.  I was there with my family and my 17yr old and 11yr old both absolutely loved it. I asked my wife and kids after the show what their favourite bit was and the unanimous answer was "A Sky Full of Stars" and my answer was the same!  They get a lot of flak for that song, but it really went off in that setting and was definitely a "moment" for us.  Fantastic show all round and everyone had great fun which is what it is all about.

• Like 2

Bit like other previous comments, I don’t hate Coldplay… I just don’t find them very interesting. 🤷‍♂️

Also a little bemused at just how big & successful they are - clearly there’s a massive audience for what they’re doing.

For me there have been many more exciting, more talented bands over the past 25 years who’ve not gone on to become worldwide stadium-selling-out megastars. Are Coldplay really better, or did they just get lucky?

Mind you, although I find them dull, I can appreciate they’ve worked damn hard, put on a great show & don’t seem to take their fans for granted. That’s more than many artists do & maybe explains their success after all. 

Tangential question I’ve always wondered: are Coldplay anyone’s absolute favourite band? 

I saw them a couple of times on small festival stages in 2000ish and then again headlining Glasto in 2005, and they were always really good. They have a handful of excellent songs, for me most of the first 2 records, and Fix You gets me every time as it reminds me of a friend no longer with us. Since then their music hasn't really done it for me but I like that they put the graft in playing the toilet circuit pubs in the early days to now headlining stadiums. I'd go and see them again at Glasto if they didnt clash with anyone I liked more.