Crowd interaction from artists

tarw

Artists chatting to the audience   

114 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like artists to interact with the crowd at a gig?

• I want them all to be like sprinty Dave and chat to me between each song. Even though like the boor in the pub I’ve heard the same story 100 times before
    • I think The boss has got it nailed a bit of a chat sometimes to give involve and entertain me
    • Ellie has got it spot on lets her music do the talking and has other band members do the chatty bits
    • ELO all the way. I’m paying to hear music not waffle

6 hours ago, sfroml said:

Didn't one of the Black Eyed Peas say something like "How's it going London?" when they played played a few years back, West Holts? Talk about getting it wrong, duh! 😄 

A lot of Americans think England, Britain and the UK are in London. 

The Prodigy have a habit of referring to any Irish crowd as being from Dublin no matter where they play. "Where are my Dublin people?!" etc when they play the midlands.

No issue with artists not chatting between songs. One of the best gigs Ive seen was Frank Black solo acoustic in a tiny venue and he didnt say a word.

On the other hand, Jarvis fucking ruined his gig with his cringeworthy stage patter at EOTR a few yers ago. 

2hX.gif

On 8/10/2022 at 7:17 PM, Skip997 said:

No, even though I've got access to a free ticket (backstage access). I'm a bit bored of Beautiful Days, the line-up is not really my thing. Only acts I'm interested in on the Main stage/Big Top are Hollie Cook and Bob Vylan, both of whom I saw at Glastonbury (Hollie Twice). The Little Big Top line up looks good though.

Will only be the second time I've missed Beautiful Days.

Are you Simon Friend?

• Upvote 1

Theres a lot less chat nowadays between songs in my opinion. Now we’ve got multiple guitar changes rather than the guitarist retuning or fitting a capo , venues demand bands finish at a certain time and the sight of roadies crawling on stage to fix a lead is rarer. All these used to mean lead singers had to fill in with some inane chat. Usually in Scotland they droned on about the drummers mum being Scottish etc etc or worst of all an  impromptu scottish tune as a mini solo. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

On 8/10/2022 at 8:29 PM, fred quimby said:

I remember when my daughter was at Juniors, now 23. Came home and said "Daddy we are learning about the olden times" 

"Oh is that the Romans or Victorian times" says I 

" No the 70's "

My daughter was describing Derry Girls as ‘set in the olden days’.

It is set in the 90s.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, I enjoy the chat as long as it seems spontaneous rather than the same old blather. Guy Garvey is the man for this, as I think his between-song patter genuinely brings the band and audience a little bit more together.

The worst for this (and easily one of the worst sets I've ever seen) was Courtney Love in the 90s - her chat was cringeworthy to the point that the rest of the band were looking really embarrassed.

Depends on the music. Depends if they're any good! 

I think a normal amount is a quick chat after a couple of songs, chat about why you wrote one of the songs and a couple of songs getting the crowd involved. If its a special gig how ever, go nuts. Foo's for ages were always the band that did almost too much for some people. Dave coming out solo at Glastonbury was perfect example of right amount at the right type of gig. 

11 hours ago, rgill3 said:

Anyone go see the Tom Robinson Band this year?

Stumbled in on my way back to camp and thought he was really entertaining interacting with the crowd before introducing each song considering I'd barely heard any of his stuff.

Missed them this year but seen him/them a few times. His chat is great throughout the show. One time some people were chanting for 2468 motorway and he basically said, I’ll get to it, but in my own time!

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but at v in 2000 me and my mates went to see the bloodhound gang (I know I know) we wanted a decent speck for joe strummer. Think they played glasto the same year as well. They got a lad up on stage and gave him a crate of ale, sat him in the corner of the stage and said if he could nail it before they finished the set they’d give him 200 quid. Was quite funny when you’re 19 I suppose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

For me the best crowd interaction is getting amongst the crowd. 

I've seen them twice this year and Bob's crowd interaction has been top drawer.

He invited the crowd onstage for the last song at BDs 👍

1 hour ago, blutarsky said:

For me the best crowd interaction is getting amongst the crowd. 

Bob Vylan are superb live, and for those you like to mock me, here's a trigger. They have an edge.

But by far the best crowd interaction I've ever seen was Justice on West Holts 2017. One of them walked on top of the crowd to pick up a large cross someone had.