Crowd interaction from artists

tarw

Artists chatting to the audience   

114 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like artists to interact with the crowd at a gig?

• I want them all to be like sprinty Dave and chat to me between each song. Even though like the boor in the pub I’ve heard the same story 100 times before
    • I think The boss has got it nailed a bit of a chat sometimes to give involve and entertain me
    • Ellie has got it spot on lets her music do the talking and has other band members do the chatty bits
    • ELO all the way. I’m paying to hear music not waffle

Not bothered if there's any chat at all, as long as the band looks like they want to be there.

On 8/8/2022 at 12:18 PM, jparx said:

On a similar note, acts need to stop jumping in to the crowd and also stop asking people to do the sit down/jump up gimmick, acting like they invented it. It worked with Slipknot 15 years ago but the novelty has gone now. I’d really rather an act have confidence that their music and stage show can hold the attention and not rely on overused crowd engagement cliches. 

Jumping into the crowd is cool, but sometimes they hang round the front barrier forever and it kills the vibe past row 10. The sit down on the floor thing is annoying. Every time it happens I have the person behind me hanging on to my back, which I don't really mind, but it's probably not ideal for that person.

16 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Stay standing when they ask to crouch down  probably the only bit of rebellion I have left in me 😉

Got to be a sketch in there somewhere about whole audience putting backs out, or old generation all creaking and moaning as they slowly get up.

An act got everyone to do this at Rock Werchter last month. Forget who (maybe yungblud?), but most of the crowd didn't jump up so much as slowly erect themselves.

19 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Stay standing when they ask to crouch down  probably the only bit of rebellion I have left in me 😉

Got to be a sketch in there somewhere about whole audience putting backs out, or old generation all creaking and moaning as they slowly get up.

This is me … well I’m sort of slightly attempting to bend down … back and flexibility pretty shit … no one cares as far as I can tell 

1 hour ago, fred quimby said:

For ‘rebellion’ read ‘worried that I won’t get back up again’

2 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

I've always thought Frank Turner is very good at the happy medium between crowd interaction and playing a load of tunes.

Ah the so called "hardest working musician in the business". I wondered past one of his gigs, all he seemed to do was shout.

1 minute ago, Skip997 said:

Ah the so called "hardest working musician in the business". I wondered past one of his gigs, all he seemed to do was shout.

Oh wow you must have got the full experience then by walking past one of his gigs, I'll bow to you as the expert.

And he's certainly one of the most hard working musicians in the business, no 'so called' about it

13 minutes ago, Green Croc said:

I've always thought Frank Turner is very good at the happy medium between crowd interaction and playing a load of tunes.

I quite like hearing the odd anecdote about why a song was written etc, and I always enjoy a gig more when I can tell the artist is visibly enjoying themselves

I love the guy and will usually go to several of his gigs when he's on tour. It can sometimes get a bit 'samey' but I don't ever actually mind it as he genuinely always looks like he's having such a great time 

9 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

He's just become the first UK artist to play 50 states in 50 days - Love him or hate him, it can't be denied that he DOES work incredibly hard. Live is what he does best - he's been really frank (I didn't intend the.pun) about what lockdown did to his mental health and not being out on the road 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Digi said:

I love the guy and will usually go to several of his gigs when he's on tour. It can sometimes get a bit 'samey' but I don't ever actually mind it as he genuinely always looks like he's having such a great time 

I know what you mean about samey, however in his defence and for someone who plays so many live shows he mixes up his setlist an awful lot and probably more than any artist I can think of

12 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Saw him at TW Classic after Primavera, seeing him play his biggest headline show yet (can't really get much bigger than getting your own day at Werchter, downgrading the likes of Florence ATM and Placebo as your subs). And that show was probably the best festival show I've ever witnessed. It was pouring (literally) the whole time but yet Cave refused to stay out of the rain, becoming just as soaking wet as the audience. 

Very intense, energetic set. He somehow improved his 2017 setlists. Glad Stagger Lee (which felt tiresome and gimmicky) got sacked, leaving room for more and better songs. The likes of Oh Children, Carnage, City Of Refuge, White Elephant (!), There She Goes..., and -surprisingly- Vortex, are among the highlights of the set. And Ghosteen Speaks instead of PTSA is a good move. 

Awesome stuff! 

12 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

The new arrangement of Vortex is absolutely fantastic live alright! Perfectly placed in the encore too. The three backing vocalists he has on this tour are really outstanding and add a lot to the tracks chosen for this set. It’s an exceptionally well balanced collection, veering from tender vulnerability to kicking, snarling menace. I loved it and as stated elsewhere, was such an absorbing watch, it could easily top the pyramid. I did love PTSA as a closer though (didn’t until I saw it live the first time), but Ghosteen Speaks does have a sense of communion that it didn’t have and is also a great way to end. 

I loved Ghosteen Speaks but definitely prefer PTSA as a closer, I've got to say.

On 8/9/2022 at 2:59 PM, fred quimby said:

Back in the day we all used to sit down on the ground for the James track of the same name.... It would have to be changed to "Oh Sit Down - on my chair" now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Amazingly it was at the last Beautiful Days - even tho they apparently hate it now.

I was at that festival but not that gig, went to the much more lively, entertaining and contemporary MUNGO’S HI FI instead, or it might have been EVA LAZARUS.