Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

1 hour ago, Old_Johno said:

We’re getting free milk for tea and coffees 

We're getting fuck all!

My union has a meeting in a couple of weeks about setting up a strike fund before we've even had a vote on it! Looks like they're pretty certain that we won't be getting a better offer from the government!

On 9/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, dotdash79 said:

A lot of these holidays were bought and paid for last year. The number of flights are still way below the level at the start of the pandemic. 

Just been out of the country. Flight out was only 2 thirds full so you can see people aren’t traveling to the more pricer places. 

On 9/29/2022 at 8:56 AM, Ayrshire Chris said:

Yesterday’s monetary  disaster won’t help personal finances especially with the probable rise in interest rates.
Todays press makes scary reading , oh apart from the Tory Mail which leads with a story of a prisoner with a phone hidden up his arse. 

i'm not sure tickets are part of the budget i think each area gets an allocation; i guess they only eat into the budget if you want extras.

I started working for my current company 3 years ago this November not had a pay rise since I started. If it weren't for the fact that it's very flexible and I work from home full time I'd already have left but I will be starting to look for something else as they are not doing well so unlikely to give pay rises. My boss just quit as he hadn't had a pay rise in 4 years. 

17 hours ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’m on the huge amount of £10.10 per hour … we have had our raise for the year whoopie … in fact we had 2 because the first one was embarrassing 

I’d expect the living wage to be upgraded in line with inflation. Well that’s what should happen but God knows what’s going on in the minds of Truss and Kwarteng.  I noticed he mumbled a bit when taking about any benefits increase and didn’t sound convincing when saying pensions would still rise in line with the triple lock.  It seems to me those who can least afford it will suffer the most.  Not unexpected with this lot in charge. 

Received the new prices for electricity. Only a 70% increase. It's almost funny it's so ridiculous.

I changed jobs at the beginning of the year, taking a relatively sizeable paycut, which was doable. That was before we got to this double digit inflation. Waiting to see where the company wide salary negotiations will go, knowing that the price of energy has gone x 3 for our manufacturing company... Kind of glad I am not in the negotiating team...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, March Hare said:

£315 makes sense if you just address inflation. There is some logic to why I went for £345 ish. Obviously it’s all guesswork from my side.

It means that after the £50 deposit the balance is still less than £300 (a mental barrier)

Tickets for 2022 were £280 and inflation alone (if it stays around 10-12%) puts the increase to £310.

The festival took a hit of a few million from the two cancelled festivals (even taking account of the government recovery fund)

The additional £30, on top of the inflation increase of £310 brings in roughly £4m from the punters. I’ve taken off the £5 booking fee.

That would clear the debt and I think £345 is pretty good value for money in most peoples eyes given it’s still selling out in sub 1 hour.

I think they will go £345 and get away with it after an amazing sunny year and all the positive vibes.

I love saying I told you so (just so we are clear on that)

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

What are peoples thoughts on how much cost of living impacted initial sale … annecdotal of course and I know some missed out but I feel maybe this initial sale might have been less in demand than previous ? 

I don't agree in the slightest. The vast majority of the tickets I know of being bought were after the sold out tweet which would have made a lot of people stop trying. 

3 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

What are peoples thoughts on how much cost of living impacted initial sale … annecdotal of course and I know some missed out but I feel maybe this initial sale might have been less in demand than previous ? 

I think the only thing that affected this sale was the payment system falling over and orders not being successful.  The demand was still there and if they hadn't had so many failed payments (some of which were after they tweeted they were sold out) it would have been the same duration as 2019.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Crazyfool01 said:

Not impacted anyone in our group, anyone missing out is due to choice - people got weddings to plan, babies to have etc. 

To be honest I can't imagine too many being put off at this stage - not from the initial sale anyway. Might be a few who give it a second thought when the balance is due, but probably stumped up the deposit regardless.

If you can't afford to go without £50 for a few months then you've probably already written off the festival as too expensive anyway. Given how pricely Glastonbury is regardless, I imagine 99% of regular  punters would be able to cough up the deposit. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

I think the only thing that affected this sale was the payment system falling over and orders not being successful.  The demand was still there and if they hadn't had so many failed payments (some of which were after they tweeted they were sold out) it would have been the same duration as 2019.

It will always sell out as quickly as the servers allow. Even if demand fell by 75% it would still be an instant sell out. 

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Yeah it made no difference whatsoever.

The real interest will be in April after a financially tough winter.