Cost of Living and Glastonbury

Crazyfool01

cost of living and Glastonbury   

344 members have voted

1. 1. with the cost of living rising will this impact the decision to buy Glastonbury tickets ?

• Yes ... im already priced out
    • I will try in oct but a decent chance I wont pay off balance
    • I will try in Oct and it likely ill pay off balance but not 100% sure
    • I will purchase them as usual and pay off as usual

Just now, Ayrshire Chris said:

For those in worthy view and Sticklinch just fill the car, if that’s how you got there, with cans and booze, it’s easy to access the car park to re supply your stocks.  Ideal if you like warm lager and cider. 😊

May exceed the reasonable amount limit. Don't really know what's allowed.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

One possibility is the holding page is configured to let X people through per minute, rather than keeping a total number of X people on the system and doing one-in, one-out.

The SCA thing made every transaction take longer, but they hadn't actually accounted for that when making the holding page. So more people were let in than the system could cope with.

Broadly, yeah, but as well as the end to end sale taking longer overall - opening the interactive session with the third party payment provider will have become a massive strain when scaled up.

Just now, Skip997 said:

Interesting. Opens up the possibility for discreet selling of beers on site, one things I thought they were trying to stop.

a few years back cant remember the year there was talk of a limit ... cant remember what happened in the end , i think they rolled back on it ... it would be a nightmare trying to impose at scale i would imagine ?

13 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

May exceed the reasonable amount limit. Don't really know what's allowed.

We parked next to a car this year that was loaded up with cans. Just make a morning trip to the car and collect your daily requirements. It’s not what you have in your car that’s checked, just the amount you bring through the security tent at one time. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

So nearly everyone got tickets? Honestly I think demand was down based on these big groups. It feels like in 2019 the big groups were posting how only half of them or a quarter of them had actually got tickets. Seen far less of that this year.

Yeah, to put it another way 131 people in our group tried to buy in general and 18 succeeded (it was actually slightly less as two or three succeeded twice) .

Some people did get payment page issues, but plenty of us would have been delighted to get that far - putting in reg details, hitting proceed and getting spinning wheel of doom, across 4 different IPs in my case. 

I've seen group solo say they managed to get a ticket for all 36 (I think?), but seen others of the same size saying they managed only six. 

I've got some friends who've gone for decades who didn't get a sniff. 

In short, it's hard to form meaningful conclusions based on a small sample of anecdotal experience. 

Is there a poll? 

Edited by clarkete

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

I just remember threads in 2019 on here were full of people saying their group of 60+ people only got 12 tickets between them and such. I've not really seen that this year.

Large group samples are quite useful as it covers a lot more people. How have you got on in previous years?

I've just told you I've seen groups in here mention only 6 out of 36 succeeding this year, that's less successful than you refer to. 

I've never really needed the help of a group before 2022 and 2023, although some years were bloody hard and involved resales or secret resales. This year is my 30th time. 

I did once phone up an Eavis and pretty much beg, but I knew that would be strictly a one off 😂

Edited by clarkete

To my perception, anecdotal reports overall are not much different than any other year. There's always success, and there's always failure. And generally speaking, the success rate on efests is higher than that reported on Twitter etc.

• Upvote 1

Our group (of between 125-150) has been using the spreadsheet system since 2010. Success rate in the main sale was as high as 90% in the early years but slowly diminished as people cottoned onto the fact that a well-organised, spreadsheet-based team approach can increase your chances. This year was our worst return ever with only 44 of 126 being successful. Probably the result of a combination of increased demand and a higher number of organised groups trying. The website failures were a smokescreen, this year's was the most brutal and in-demand sale ever. 

51 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Our group (of between 125-150) has been using the spreadsheet system since 2010. Success rate in the main sale was as high as 90% in the early years but slowly diminished as people cottoned onto the fact that a well-organised, spreadsheet-based team approach can increase your chances. This year was our worst return ever with only 44 of 126 being successful. Probably the result of a combination of increased demand and a higher number of organised groups trying. The website failures were a smokescreen, this year's was the most brutal and in-demand sale ever. 

This is why I can’t fathom how anyone could argue demand was down. There is simply more evidence to say it was up from multiple angles/sources. At the very least you could say demand was the same as last time, which in essence means the cost of living crisis has had zero impact.

6 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

This is why I can’t fathom how anyone could argue demand was down. There is simply more evidence to say it was up from multiple angles/sources. At the very least you could say demand was the same as last time, which in essence means the cost of living crisis has had zero impact.

People have no money … reduced income …. It really doesn’t take much to assume demand will be lower the last time the festival had issues selling out was during a financial crisis but as it’s oversubscribed it quite likely won’t show . 

5 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

People have no money … reduced income …. It really doesn’t take much to assume demand will be lower the last time the festival had issues selling out was during a financial crisis but as it’s oversubscribed it quite likely won’t show . 

But demand wasn’t lower was it? Where is the evidence that demand was lower? That’s the whole point, you seem to want it to have had an impact for some reason, but the reality is it hasn’t.

Come balance payment sure, we might see it kick in then, but for the main sale? There was simply no impact on demand.

Edited by Jose Pose

8 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Of course none of us have the figures but I don't know how anyone experienced in the ticket sale could suggest demand was lower than previous years. Personally, from the discussions that I've had with regular Glasto-goers, and the contact they've had with similar people, failure rates have been much higher this year. Was demand the same or higher? Probably. Was it lower than previous years? Highly unlikely. At this stage, any economic issues have clearly yet to affect ticket sales. Yet. 

Returns in tickets are likely to be higher but so is the demand in the resale from the hoards of regulars that missed out, regardless of cost.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

The landscape has changed in the time since the last economic downturn and the festival has become an even greater cultural phenomenon, a must-attend event, regardless of cost. Make no mistake, had the website not crashed, we'd still be looking at a 35-40 minute sell out. If, and it's a big if, we're to see any affect from the current economic situation, it'll be this October but even then, people have shown recently that they're willing to fork out significant sums of money for single day events (Peter Kay, Blur, Pulp, etc), let alone the life-changing five-day behemoth that is Glastonbury.

4 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Of course none of us have the figures but I don't know how anyone experienced in the ticket sale could suggest demand was lower than previous years. Personally, from the discussions that I've had with regular Glasto-goers, and the contact they've had with similar people, failure rates have been much higher this year. Was demand the same or higher? Probably. Was it lower than previous years? Highly unlikely. At this stage, any economic issues have clearly yet to affect ticket sales. Yet. 

Returns in tickets are likely to be higher but so is the demand in the resale from the hoards of regulars that missed out, regardless of cost.

That suggests people won’t prepare in advance … some will some won’t see poll at the top of page 

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

The landscape has changed in the time since the last economic downturn and the festival has become an even greater cultural phenomenon, a must-attend event, regardless of cost. Make no mistake, had the website not crashed, we'd still be looking at a 35-40 minute sell out. If, and it's a big if, we're to see any affect from the current economic situation, it'll be this October but even then, people have shown recently that they're willing to fork out significant sums of money for single day events (Peter Kay, Blur, Pulp, etc), let alone the life-changing five-day behemoth that is Glastonbury.

And a 5 day event has significantly higher costs than a 1 evening event 

Spending a £100 on a blur ticket equates to at the very least a £200 spend for a few hours entertainment, if you can afford that Glastonbury will be superb value.

Of course the cost of living crisis is hitting people’s pockets and in some cases very seriously, but equally unemployment in the UK is at a historic low level. Anyone who wants a job has one, so putting down £50 for a Glastonbury ticket still won’t have been an issue for most people.

9 minutes ago, Jose Pose said:

Spending a £100 on a blur ticket equates to at the very least a £200 spend for a few hours entertainment, if you can afford that Glastonbury will be superb value.

Of course the cost of living crisis is hitting people’s pockets and in some cases very seriously, but equally unemployment in the UK is at a historic low level. Anyone who wants a job has one, so putting down £50 for a Glastonbury ticket still won’t have been an issue for most people.

I’ve no idea of anyone who can do glastonbury for close to £200 …. With the ticket costing more than £300 … it is possible people can still do the bigger 1 off gigs but Glastonbury has now priced them out … see poll above 

I had a moan on Twitter about the Blur prices and one of the replies I got was "this coming from someone who bought a Glastonbury ticket"...

Had to patiently explain to the guy the difference between spending just over £300 for a five day festival with dozens of stages, hundreds of acts, camping, theatre, art and everything else the festival offers against £150 to stand at the front of one stage for four bands. 

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I had a moan on Twitter about the Blur prices and one of the replies I got was "this coming from someone who bought a Glastonbury ticket"...

Had to patiently explain to the guy the difference between spending just over £300 for a five day festival with dozens of stages, hundreds of acts, camping, theatre, art and everything else the festival offers against £150 to stand at the front of one stage for four bands. 

For absolute definate the value is there at the festival …. It’s still that extra amount that might push people beyond a threshold or budget 

13 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

I’ve no idea of anyone who can do glastonbury for close to £200 …. With the ticket costing more than £300 … it is possible people can still do the bigger 1 off gigs but Glastonbury has now priced them out … see poll above 

You’re missing the point, if you can drop £100 on a blur ticket and the associated costs for a few hours entertainment, Glastonbury won’t be a cost issue either. The point is there was extremely high demand for expensive events like Blur and Peter Kaye, so there is little evidence the cost of living crisis is affecting peoples ability or desire to spend money on gigs etc. if anything more people would probably prioritise spending money on Glastonbury over one off gigs, so if they’re still spending money on very expensive one off gigs they’re going to be putting down £50 for Glastonbury.

Edited by Jose Pose
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Crazyfool01 said:

That's not what @Jose Poseis getting at I don't think. More that if you have the expendable income to spend £200+ for a single evening's entertainment, that you most likely have the expendable income for 5 days at Glastonbury. He's not saying the two cost the same. 

Surely anyone who is priced out of Glastonbury won't be able to afford £200+ for just one gig. 

• Upvote 1