Random Older Pop Acts 2023

gfa

12 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Both played this year

that post i had a double take on too, after those 2 that played this year they suggested similar acts they want for next

---

Avril Lavigne would be great - not super old but certainly early 00s

30 minutes ago, TheGoodWillOut said:

A-Ha are currently playing a few big gigs

Interesting experience with a-ha; have seen 'em thrice. First and third were regular shows - Manchester Arena and Keepmoat Stadium. Solidly good on the former, particularly underwhelming on the latter.

But slap bang in the middle, I saw their stripped-back "unplugged" show at The O2, and it genuinely remains one of the most affecting shows I've ever been to. Was beautiful and really suited their format now.

The trick might be getting them there in the first place. The documentary earlier this year gave the impression that none of them are exactly friends, but just a trio of business-minded musicians now - which is maybe where it always gets in the end.

Oddly enough, Electric Picnic has always had a nostalgia slot (they copied a lot from Glasto, this was their version of the teatime legend) and almost all the big pop acts of yore mentioned here have played. Over the years have seen Marc Almond, OMD, Erasure, Simple Minds, Spandau Ballet, PSB, Human League, Gary Numan, Duran Duran, Bonnie Tyler and more at it and they all pretty much nailed it (Marc Almond and Gary Numan in particular). Any of them would go down a treat (Some obviously already have!).

23 hours ago, gfa said:

McFly and the sugababes went down very well this year (along with Mel C's rammed dj set), so i ask who do people think will be booked next year (if anyone) for the big pop acts on a random small stage slot?

I'd like All Saints personally!

sawb them 20 y6ears ago, they mimed.

14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I watched Shaggy on a small stage in the Silver Hayes instead of Ed Sheeran..  it was alright. Better than the WH performance.

There were about 150 of us there. 

Miles better than watching Ed too.

I saw Shaggy at BoomTown in 2014....was quite forgettable...he didn't seem to really get into it with a load of ket heads 😄

• Upvote 1

Just now, Soggy_feet said:

Get Matt, Luke and the other one (Craig?) back together as Bros... although I'd imagine Avalon would not be nearly big enough!

Have you seen their documentary? It's amazing stuff. They absolutely should cash in on it.