Random Older Pop Acts 2023

gfa

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To give Jarvis due credit, he's not doing old Pulp stuff, so he's at least trying to be contemporary.

Although I can think of about 20 Pulp songs I'd rather listen to than any of his solo tunes.

Not gonna lie I was a bit disappointed he didn't do at least one pump song, and I think most of the crowd were too.

On 7/11/2022 at 5:11 PM, maelzoid said:

I've been thinking about this, and I'm going to stand by my original position.

I think just because something is popular and people would enjoy it, is not enough of a reason to book an act. The festival is a taste-maker, an arbiter of credibility and if it has zero standards in terms of quality and just goes on popularity, the overall experience diminishes. I am convinced that the only people interested in a Steps performance would be those who were children back in the day and are going out of personal nostalgia, rather because the music was any good - they always were a triumph of marketing over artistry.

I feel the same way about most manufactured music aimed at children, the X-Factor/Voice conveyer belts, novelty acts and tribute acts, all of which would be popular and people would enjoy. But is that the festival we want? I'd much rather those slots be given to lesser known artists who are struggling for exposure in a market dictated by labels. That's not to say every act that would fall into these categories should be dismissed, some of them produced genuinely good music (Girls Aloud) or have evolved into interesting artists (Styles) or are bona fide cultural phenomena (Spice Girls). But not Steps. Never Steps.

Been a busy few days, so only just getting a chance to reply…..

I just think with a festival which is so big and so varied, there’s a space for cheesy shit like this. 

TLC, Sugababes, McFly and Busted have shown recently that nostalgia can equal good times. 

Craig David packed The Pyramid 20 odd years after he hit the big time, there’s absolutely a hunger for it.

We’ll still always get Beatles, critically acclaimed artists, bright new things and stars in the making at the festival. Having Steps and shit like that in a few slots out of thousands across the weekend isn’t suddenly going to turn it into Rewind festival. 

Full disclosure, I wouldn’t be anywhere near it, but lots would and there’d be smiles a plenty, which is what it’s all about.

there's definitely been a conscious decision not to offer slots to the likes of Take That, Westlife, Boyzone (though Robbie Williams played in the mid-90's, and east 17 played a thursday in about 2009ish?) but that seems to have been turned a little these days, with some out and out pop acts playing. But they're playing a packed avalon, rather than a less exclusive and interesting mid-afternoon set on the pyramid.  

As long as we're guaranteed no Barlow, i dont mind what they put on and where, i can very easily avoid it. But no Barlow. #nobarlow