Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

18 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

Some random Rasta walking through the tents "torches, torches,  Es, Wizz, Hash"

"Dreams for Sale"

I can confirm that I witnessed two rastas walking through a mostly sitting in the sun crowd shouting 'rocky, sensie' over and over again. My girlfriend at the time ( not an indulger in alcohol, let alone drugs) thought they were looking for a couple of their mates! 

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2022 at 12:58 AM, Brunty9 said:

It didn't take long for these to be on sale at most stalls that weekend! 

Walking downhill on the dairy field track, we heard the news he had died verbally hurtling upwards like a shockwave. Seconds later, some dude slunk out of a tent with a freshly made Jackson 4 tshirt on 

The Mexican Hammock Stall at West Holts.

Many happy memories of the whole family relaxing together in a hammock whilst watching and listening to the music on the stage.  

When they rotated the stage back to the angle it used to be I was hoping to spend time there again, unfortunately the stall disappeared at the same time.

We even bought hammocks from them to go in the garden they are good pieces of kit that survive abuse well.

Not sure if the company is still going but I can recommend them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tarw said:

Many happy memories of the whole family relaxing together in a hammock whilst watching and listening to the music on the stage.  

When they rotated the stage back to the angle it used to be I was hoping to spend time there again, unfortunately the stall disappeared at the same time.

We even bought hammocks from them to go in the garden they are good pieces of kit that survive abuse well.

i've found them, the confirmation is the pic on the company > about us page.

https://www.hammocks.co.uk/

25 minutes ago, tarw said:

Great memories of hiding in there when it chucked it down during Amy Winehouse one year. 04 maybe

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Great memories of hiding in there when it chucked it down during Amy Winehouse one year. 04 maybe

think i was there hiding from the rain that time too.

38 minutes ago, tarw said:

I have one hanging in the garden right now. Money well spent!

Spontaneous creativity

People wondering around naked

Packs of dogs wondering around

Gangs of travellers kids wondering around being a nuisance

People driving around site during the festival (non essential/unauthorised movement)

Unauthorised soundsystems

Open selling of drugs

People selling cans of beer and packs of baccy at the Stone circle

Edited by Skip997

5 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Yes, my sis heard it offered in 85/86.  I don't doubt it would have been rarer/more discreet than other things. 

There was definately heroin around site in the 80s/90s.

In 1994 while doing the clean up Michael Eavis asked us to mark on a map the locations of any discarded needles etc so that they could try and work out where it was happening.

• Upvote 2

Not been on the forum for a while. Been on holiday and it's taken me a good couple of days to get back to normal and this thread brings back a lot of great memories of Glasto, but also Reading, and other fests.

Things that I haven't seen for a while but have fun memories of:

- Waves of bollocks across the site

- Joe Bananas 

- Buying mushrooms in a stripey pink or blue sweet shop paper bag

- Creating your own entertainment on Wed/Thurs - wanders, meeting people, playing cards

- Buying hash brownies with actual hash in

- The odd nudist

- Smoking in tents

- Not so many weirdos, freaks, randos, punks, hippies etc, or people just willing to get wasted and not give so much of a shit what they were wearing or how they looked 

- Getting a hundred quid each night before bed and keeping rough track of how much I spend, lol

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

- Not so many weirdos, freaks, randos, punks, hippies etc, or people just willing to get wasted and not give so much of a shit what they were wearing or how they looked

This.

Glastonbury is worse as a result.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Not so many weirdos, freaks, randos, punks, hippies etc, or people just willing to get wasted and not give so much of a shit what they were wearing or how they looked 

This is down to people recording everything and trying to go viral. Means people are aware that it can have a massive impact on their life outside. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Skip997 said:

This.

Glastonbury is worse as a result.

All this plus,

Legions of vans selling gear on the way in to the gates,

Stella sales at the bridges,

Hash brownies for sale and sellers comin round yer tents,

Fireworks like everywhere..,

People fucking in the woods,

People face down in the mud in the morning,

People still on E dancin outside x, y, z sound system, Bananas, Milk Bar etc.

Site traffic everywhere trying to run you over,

Insane knackered and sprayed up crusty, Trash City vehicles crusin around site...

1 hour ago, Pinhead said:

Stella sales at the bridges,

That's not what I remember being sold at/on the bridges (i.e. anything but beer).

Watching The Wire opened my eyes to just how really organised what was going on there actually was (I think that makes sense as a sentence).