Things that don't happen at Glastonbury anymore...

Troop Dogg

9 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Fires in campsites on the Sunday when people were coming down.

We had gathered a load of wood up, pretty sure it was 2009 or 2010, and had it in a tent porch. Busy festival so didn't have a fire all weekend, then on Sunday night we started it after Blur/Stevie. Lots of random people stopped and chatted. There was a guitar, hopefully no Wonderwall, can't remember.

When we got up on Monday morning there were still a couple of our 14 year olds sitting round it!! A Sunday night fire would still be an option now as lots of tents are gone so there's space. Already planning for next year, let's hope October goes to plan.........

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

"Second Stage"

it was what it says, today what was the second stage has evolved thru jazzworld to be west holts

(i'd have said the other stage but steve who runs west holts insists its that.)

Edited by Neil

1 minute ago, Neil said:

it was what it says, today what was the second stage has evolved thru jazzworld to be west holts

That explains why I always remembered the second stage being at right angles to the Pyramid and "round the corner" not back to back(this is from 87/89/90). Thank you. I think Acoustic was always pretty much where it is now, but I remember it as a very big white marquee back then, but still uphill. I don't remember any bars/pubs, but we had no money and took our own food and drink in those days.

Need to get my 50 years book out and look at when the layout changes and new stages were added.

8 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

That explains why I always remembered the second stage being at right angles to the Pyramid and "round the corner" not back to back(this is from 87/89/90). Thank you. I think Acoustic was always pretty much where it is now, but I remember it as a very big white marquee back then, but still uphill. I don't remember any bars/pubs, but we had no money and took our own food and drink in those days.

Need to get my 50 years book out and look at when the layout changes and new stages were added.

i remember ('86)the second stage being where the markets are now.

On 7/25/2022 at 6:56 AM, diningroomchairstorage said:

watching footage from 2004, maybe someone has said this before, but in amongst all the other fires you can see people spinning fire poi as well. hardly ever see poi anymore. i guess the fire has been cracked down on as well.

2004 was my first and I remember a lot of poi when I was at the stone circle that year.

2 minutes ago, Neville Street said:

Yes, to the left of the Pyramid and at right angles, stage would be looking towards the East Van fields kind of. A long time ago, but I don't remember it seeming that far away either.

it ('86) pointed in opposite direction to pyramid afaik.

On 7/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, clarkete said:

Yes, my sis heard it offered in 85/86.  I don't doubt it would have been rarer/more discreet than other things. 

The first ever Reading Festival I went to in 1999 when I had just turned 18, on the Friday afternoon we were about to head into the arena and there were two guys shooting up in the camp behind us in their tent with the door wide open....was an eye opener that was for sure!

4 minutes ago, Skip997 said:

This is exactly what the festival needs.

Less alcohol as well

which reminds me, i was into my second decade of festivals before i used a beer tent.

3 hours ago, Neil said:

(i'd have said the other stage but steve who runs west holts insists its that.)

Hey I was certainly not doubting the source material 😉

I'm surprised they followed Green on Red, so they must have been doing OK for themselves. 

2 hours ago, Neville Street said:

Yes, to the left of the Pyramid and at right angles, stage would be looking towards the East Van fields kind of. A long time ago, but I don't remember it seeming that far away either.

Yes, I too vaguely remember it being in a different place and certainly different angle.  Nobody in the audience was discussing the acoustics or sound bleed - they were too broken 😊

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Neville Street said:

We had gathered a load of wood up, pretty sure it was 2009 or 2010, and had it in a tent porch. Busy festival so didn't have a fire all weekend, then on Sunday night we started it after Blur/Stevie. Lots of random people stopped and chatted. There was a guitar, hopefully no Wonderwall, can't remember.

When we got up on Monday morning there were still a couple of our 14 year olds sitting round it!! A Sunday night fire would still be an option now as lots of tents are gone so there's space. Already planning for next year, let's hope October goes to plan.........

I think 2010 after Stevie was also the last time we had a fire and the only time that weekend. Was great to come down and relax, share stories from the weekend, prepare a bit mentally for returning to normality the next week.

To be honest, at Glasto, I never really feel the need to sit in the campsite with a fire any of the other nights, feels a bit of a waste with so much going on. There's plenty of places to chill out and chat.

Reading Fest was different though. Every year we went, without fail from Wed-Sun, we'd have a campfire going. Bit of a different vibe though as there wasn't so much late entertainment on offer when I was going.