Taking your own food - ideas?!

Stu H

My magic festival staple is toast.  There are lots of camping stove toast racks like this.  Light to carry but then enables everything from beans on toast to pate on toast or scrambled eggs on toast.

4 SLICE FOLDING TOASTER CAMPING FISHING For GAS HOB COOKER FIRE STOVE TOAST  CAMP : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

When I was about 14, one of my cousins asked me if he should eat the dog food that he had just spooned out of a tin. He kept on saying 'Shall I', Shall I' etc And then. And then. and then he ate it. I will never forget that moment. Actually, that's a lie - I am bound to forget that moment, despite it occurring in my mind from time to time in the past, and up until now.

I used to have tins of Irish stew at Glastonbury. I think only one can got opened at any one Glastonbury in time. And the same amount of the tins was eaten too. Just enough to realise that you aren't eating dog food, you're eating dog shit.

Can always rely on you for an excellent anecdote when I post something on here👍
I once shoplifted a tin of the stuff you used to take to Glasto.  I was caught and the police said Irish Stew in the name of the law. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

My magic festival staple is toast.  There are lots of camping stove toast racks like this.  Light to carry but then enables everything from beans on toast to pate on toast or scrambled eggs on toast.

4 SLICE FOLDING TOASTER CAMPING FISHING For GAS HOB COOKER FIRE STOVE TOAST  CAMP : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

hold on, i need to write down those toast recipes...

32 minutes ago, grumpyhack said:

We’ve got one of those toaster things that fits on a burner but no way the toast turns out as perfect as that image. Usually turns out burnt black in one part and hardly toasted on other part. But still tastes great when camping! 

• Like 1

Freeze some sausage and bacon. In a sandwich box , with water to make a ice block. Should last a bit longer then, also cook on a oven tray, more surface area, so you can keep food warm while rest it’s cooking, you can also put tins of beans or toms and cook them in their tins on the tray too, we using a tray in this photo

416E9AB3-CAB0-4DE5-B4FD-6BED2E809BC2.jpeg

Eggy Bread - quick and easy and if your feeling adventurous you can add bacon, beans etc etc

One other thing I forgot in my earlier post: fruit cake. 

Obviously only if you like fruit cake!

But if you do, it’s a great festival food, lasts for ages, stands up reasonably well to being bashed around in a bag, gives you a good energy hit.

If you want to go all Delia then homemade is ace - if you start it now you can also make it extremely boozy so it serves multiple purposes. 😁

Also these threads...not wishing to be a t**t (but I am sorry) I'll crowdfund you for a meal or two from somewhere lovely if it means you don't spend the best festival in the world waiting 30 mins for a blooming pot noodle to boil 😉

I have waited that long when it was windy and it was still crunchy 😭

• Upvote 1

Just from a veggie point of view, the last few times around I have a few packs of frozen sausages in a cool bag. There isn't much in them that can go off, so even frying them up on the Sunday is fairly safe. Throw in a couple of tinned meals, a value 24 pack of crisps and some bread, that's basically my rations for the week. I don't eat much when I drink, so generally only have breakfast and maybe a snack later in the day. 

6 hours ago, clarkete said:

Also these threads...not wishing to be a t**t (but I am sorry) I'll crowdfund you for a meal or two from somewhere lovely if it means you don't spend the best festival in the world waiting 30 mins for a blooming pot noodle to boil 😉

I have waited that long when it was windy and it was still crunchy 😭

I haven’t eaten a pot noodle in years, but I used to prefer them crunchy anyway.

• Upvote 1

Regarding pot noodles and the like. I do take stuff like that as I'm on site a few days beforehand and there's always boiling water available in the recycling crew catering tent. Also being there before the festival starts means catering options are a bit limited. First year I went to Glastonbury in 2003 I was a ticket holder and  took a stove and a kettle and never used it once so probably wouldn't bother again.

That said when we do WOMAD as a family we do take a stove and cook breakfast on it and a few other meals.  Find especially in the morning it just makes thing easier and a bit cheaper 

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We’ve got one of those toaster things that fits on a burner but no way the toast turns out as perfect as that image. Usually turns out burnt black in one part and hardly toasted on other part. But still tastes great when camping! 

How do you keep the beans on it when it is upright like that.?

21 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Yes, this. If you're taking a stove then a boiled kettle will do these and your morning coffee, job's a good 'un. 🙂 Zero cleanup is a plus, although single-use plastic is not...

Tins of beans, spaghetti hoops, soup or whatever can be heated in their tins. Take the top off then sit it in a mess tin or small saucepan, top up to 1/2 - 2/3 the height of the can with boiled water then simmer for a while, stirring occasionally. Saves washing up a saucepan; also great if you're doing a couple of different things at once in the same pan. Make sure you've got a tea towel or something so you don't burn your hand taking them out though!

Homemade trail mix - nuts, fruit etc - is much nicer and healthier than what you can buy.

I've never found a satisfactory way to make toast on a camp stove (Unless you're taking one of those giant camping stoves with a grill underneath; if so, good luck carrying that in... 😐). Fried bread is a much better option, best with butter but oil will do.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15910238/gogas-dynasty-toaster-15910238

I use one of these, as long as you keep a close eye works well.