2023 legend slot

ProperTea

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Very promising but I will doubt it until I hear it from someone other than Mel B. She has a bit of a habit of saying she’s booked for Glastonbury when she isn’t. 

It’s a weird one because surely the festival would be up for them playing - if would be immensely popular - so you’ve gotta think there’s something getting in the way of it happening if members (well… Mel B, anyway) are actively campaigning for it to happen. Money maybe, or timing, or them wanting to headline outright when the festival is only willing to give them (rightfully so) a novelty slot. 

Would be fun as hell though.

I can't really remember the timeline of it all now, but was it not possible that the Spice Girls were booked for the 2021 festival and that's what Mel B was going on about back in 2019/2020? We know that the 2021 headliners were all sorted by early 2020 so it's likely that the legend slot was pencilled in too.

Edited by SomeoneListeningIn

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

It’s a weird one because surely the festival would be up for them playing - if would be immensely popular - so you’ve gotta think there’s something getting in the way of it happening if members (well… Mel B, anyway) are actively campaigning for it to happen. Money maybe, or timing, or them wanting to headline outright when the festival is only willing to give them (rightfully so) a novelty slot. 

Would be fun as hell though.

Well what I think is going on is Mel is more keen than the others. I don’t hear the other members talk about it anywhere near as much - and I reckon the festival wants posh so posh needs to be up for doing shows too (and she has barely performed live in years). 

I'm a long-term fan of the girls and saw them on the last tour: Mel B is known to just chat shit because she can and to use it to her advantage, so who knows if the Glastonbury thing was ever true.

Victoria has sworn she wouldn't do it again and that's a part of her life that's over, so there would need to be a really good and flexible offer for her to ever reunite with them.

Aside from that it's a waste of time speculating right now, because of how unreliable Mel B is.

Edited by jannybruck

2 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I'm a long-term fan of the girls and saw them on the last tour: Mel B is known to just chat shit because she can and to use it to her advantage, so who knows if the Glastonbury thing was ever true.

Victoria has sworn she wouldn't do it again and that's a part of her life that's over, so there would need to be a really good and flexible offer for her to ever reunite with them.

Aside from that it's a waste of time speculating right now, because of how unreliable Mel B is.

Yup, she knows papers will talk about it and her name will get put in if she just mentions 'we're talking about it'.

Dame Shirley on the BAFTAs…

I will forever be gutted that I missed that Sunday show. In fact, the tv coverage was one of the things that made me start going from the next year until now! 

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Dame Shirley on the BAFTAs…

I will forever be gutted that I missed that Sunday show. In fact, the tv coverage was one of the things that made me start going from the next year until now! 

I was there, seem to recall her doing Big Spender twice in a row.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass II said:

I was there, seem to recall her doing Big Spender twice in a row.

Lol maybe it’s her fave. She’s still incredible at 85!

20 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

The BAFTAs ceremony would say otherwise...

Oooh what did I miss? 

Edit: Actually, the comment you quoted was about Tina Turner by the way! I think you are talking about DSB?

Edited by stuie

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/22/2022 at 6:51 PM, ProperTea said:

Shania at Coachella has left me no doubts that she'd be an absolute vibe for the 2023 legends slot.

Would open up the slot to a lower tier of ‘ not legends but quite big for a few years 20 years ago’ acts, which they will have to do at some point.

13 minutes ago, ErnestWorthing said:

Cliff Richard.

There may have been a time (20 odd years ago) when this might have made sense - he’s certainly got more than enough cheesy hits that loads of people know. I just don’t think there’s an appetite for him now.

Perhaps on the John Peel Stage 😬

2 hours ago, Smeble said:

Would open up the slot to a lower tier of ‘ not legends but quite big for a few years 20 years ago’ acts, which they will have to do at some point.

Well what was Kylie. Theyre in the same tier and close age wise. And all Shania has to do is her Vegas show on the Pyramid and itll go really well.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Stevie Nicks?

Then that pretty much says theyll never get Fleetwood and settle for Stevie. Unless they get bold and have Fleetwood on Friday and Stevie is Sunday.

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Well what was Kylie. Theyre in the same tier and close age wise. And all Shania has to do is her Vegas show on the Pyramid and itll go really well.

You couldn’t be more wrong here. Kylies career goes back to the eighties, not to mention she was already a household name by then. She is beloved as a personality as much as for her music. Twain, for all her success is just a singer, and none of her songs are all that good either.

9 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

You couldn’t be more wrong here. Kylies career goes back to the eighties, not to mention she was already a household name by then. She is beloved as a personality as much as for her music. Twain, for all her success is just a singer, and none of her songs are all that good either.

Yet Glasto didnt want to let Kylie headline after her cancellation and just waited 15 years for a Legends slot instead. Some household name that is if you had to wait that long for your turn. And Kylie didnt incur the wrath of country music like Shania did because she crossed over into mainstream music and such. Be one of the artists that has to break through for others to follow and you have much more of a legacy than just being a beloved personality. You should tell Taylor Swift that you think Shania is just another singer and her songs arent good and I think youll get a slap in the face.

4 hours ago, Suprefan said:

Yet Glasto didnt want to let Kylie headline after her cancellation and just waited 15 years for a Legends slot instead. Some household name that is if you had to wait that long for your turn. And Kylie didnt incur the wrath of country music like Shania did because she crossed over into mainstream music and such. Be one of the artists that has to break through for others to follow and you have much more of a legacy than just being a beloved personality. You should tell Taylor Swift that you think Shania is just another singer and her songs arent good and I think youll get a slap in the face.

I suspect being a UK national treasure is more critical to an act being booked than how much they did or didn't upset people Nashville.