2023 legend slot

ProperTea

4 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

Aerosmith undoubtedly have the name and chops to do it.

Just depends how keen the festival are to go "rock" for this slot, or whether they'd rather keep it as a pop focused slot.

The ELO debacle must still loom large.

What ELO debacle? That only exists in the minds of grumpy efesters who had already made up their minds it would be shit. 

1 minute ago, Smeble said:

What ELO debacle? That only exists in the minds of grumpy efesters who had already made up their minds it would be shit. 

As someone who hails from Shard End, Birmingham (where Jeff Lynne himself is from) I went into that set wanting it to be great.

It wasn't.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass II said:

What’s Rod like as a live proposition these days?

I’m imagining…

F8B39CBF-2375-4B97-9DC1-07EE09CBCB72.gif

I saw him at The O2 a few years ago, he was OK, vocals were still in tact.

Too much chatter though, a lot of it quite cringey in places. 

If he just played the hits it would be decent, can’t see it being an all-timer though. 

30 minutes ago, Smeble said:

I was expecting it to be one of the highlights for me.... and it just wasn’t. The mud during Mr Blue Sky didn’t help, but it was never in danger of going off. Crowd were very muted, and Jeff was nigh on catatonic.

25 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I saw him at The O2 a few years ago, he was OK, vocals were still in tact.

Too much chatter though, a lot of it quite cringey in places. 

If he just played the hits it would be decent, can’t see it being an all-timer though. 

Significantly more up for it crowd at El Pointo though. Strong singalong vibes. 

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Significantly more up for it crowd at El Pointo though. Strong singalong vibes. 

I meant chatter from Rod, as opposed to the crowd. 

Telling lots of stories that seemed to go on forever. 

Just play the hits Rodrick. 

2 minutes ago, nikkic said:

I meant chatter from Rod, as opposed to the crowd. 

Telling lots of stories that seemed to go on forever. 

Just play the hits Rodrick. 

No, I got that. Obviously theres a limit, but I don't mind a bit of crowd engagement and that's one way that appearing mid afternoon differs to headlining.

13 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I’d love to see an “up for it” Van Morrison playing all his old stuff with a great band...... but it won’t happen.

He tends to play melodic jazz muzak and rant about Covid restrictions these days.

I saw him recently (only because I had freebies), and to be fair his voice sounds in far better shape than most of his contemporaries. He kicked off the set with 5 tracks from the latest album, but didn't once mention covid restrictions or anything like that, and thankfully we got just about enough of the better known songs. I think he'd be an underwhelming candidate for the Sunday afternoon 'Legend' slot, but would be up for an appearance sometime else.

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

No, I got that. Obviously theres a limit, but I don't mind a bit of crowd engagement and that's one way that appearing mid afternoon differs to headlining.

There’s crowd engagement and then there’s Rod wittering on about all the “birds he’s wooed”! 

Not a vibe. 

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass II said:

As someone who hails from Shard End, Birmingham (where Jeff Lynne himself is from) I went into that set wanting it to be great.

It wasn't.

I and the thousands around me loved it. Feel sorry for you that you didn’t enjoy it, plenty of others did.

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I was expecting it to be one of the highlights for me.... and it just wasn’t. The mud during Mr Blue Sky didn’t help, but it was never in danger of going off. Crowd were very muted, and Jeff was nigh on catatonic.

Crowd around me was fantastic, everyone singing and dancing, had a great time.

I always thought ELO a tad boring, but recently watched their 'Wembley or Bust' show on Sky Arts and was unexpectantly bowled over by it - looked and sounded an amazing show. Goes to show what a difference it can be playing exclusively to your own adoring fans, who aren't soaking wet and up to their knees in mud, and with a colossal light/stage show. 

Re: 80's bands for the Legends slot - Boy George & Culture Club must be in line at some stage

ELO were great on their arena tour that year (and I only knew one song by name and recognised a few others before exploring in the lead up to it) but it didn’t work at all in the legends’ slot. Everyone who came with me hated it and I found it pretty dull. Obviously the weather didn’t help at all, either.