The Weather Thread 2022

sedra

1 minute ago, Suprefan said:

You dont want dust for 5 days, youre gonna think you got covid afterwards when its just festival flu.  There needs to be a balance of a little rain and nice temps with  some sun. Maybe mid 20's  temp wise at most but I dont think anyone wants it to hit 30 or higher.

I honestly could not care less about dust. It’s a consequence of no rain, so bring on the dust. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I honestly could not care less about dust. It’s a consequence of no rain, so bring on the dust. 

I personally would like a break from almost 20 years of Coachella dust and 40 degrees every April weekend to just something I dont gotta worry about applying sunscreen every hour. But thats just me. I dont need biblical and I dont need mud, just nice and no chance of sunburn.

the wife's best friend bought a house on the river severn in worcester, and its about to flood, she spent six months out of the house last winter after it flooded and was ruined, cost a fortune to put right (insurance).

me, i wouldn't buy a house that floods.

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

Yep, the whole "damp the dust down" theory is bollocks and always has been. With the site being located essentially on a clay bed, it doesn't naturally drain well, so best if we avoid rain altogether.

If there's enough rain the impact on the dust, then there's enough rain that it's going to negatively affect the ground conditions - mud in places and the ground will remain damp in others so you can't sit down.

If there's rain but not enough that it affects the ground conditions, then it's going to have at best a very temporary impact on dust levels. By which I mean measured in minutes rather than hours or days.

Aside from all that, even in the driest years, Glastonbury has never been an especially dusty festival site in relative terms. Plenty others get far worse, with Latitude taking the crown.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

I personally would like a break from almost 20 years of Coachella dust and 40 degrees every April weekend to just something I dont gotta worry about applying sunscreen every hour. But thats just me. I dont need biblical and I dont need mud, just nice and no chance of sunburn.

You can tell you come from the US. Most of us here welcome not being rained on for the three weekends a year it’s dry. 
It would take the near complete desertification of Somerset for the Glasto site to be anything like as dusty as Coachella. I’d hazard a guess that 99% of attendees don’t give a toss about dust.

Edited by blutarsky

21 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

You dont want dust for 5 days, youre gonna think you got covid afterwards when its just festival flu.  There needs to be a balance of a little rain and nice temps with  some sun. Maybe mid 20's  temp wise at most but I dont think anyone wants it to hit 30 or higher.

Ah I loved the weather in 2019 tbh, perfect for me. Tent being too warm was only issue except there was 6-8 of us in it trying to sleep at 11am and it wasn’t a blackout 

Dust isn’t an issue at Glasto. Even on a scorching week there’s enough grass holding all the dirt together. 

Sziget however, that is a literal dust bowl. They do regularly moisten the ground to keep the dust level down. People were wearing face masks there before the pandemic was even a thing.

16 minutes ago, incident said:

Yep, the whole "damp the dust down" theory is bollocks and always has been. With the site being located essentially on a clay bed, it doesn't naturally drain well, so best if we avoid rain altogether.

If there's enough rain the impact on the dust, then there's enough rain that it's going to negatively affect the ground conditions - mud in places and the ground will remain damp in others so you can't sit down.

If there's rain but not enough that it affects the ground conditions, then it's going to have at best a very temporary impact on dust levels. By which I mean measured in minutes rather than hours or days.

Aside from all that, even in the driest years, Glastonbury has never been an especially dusty festival site in relative terms. Plenty others get far worse, with Latitude taking the crown.

Agreed - although the roads and paths can get a little dusty; but the fest just sprays them down.

As someone who suffers from hayfever, I like the weather to be a mix of sunny and at times a bit overcast with the occasional shower to dampen down the pollen and dust in the air. I find the festival very hard going if it is constantly hot and sunny. 

44 minutes ago, sime said:

As someone who suffers from hayfever, I like the weather to be a mix of sunny and at times a bit overcast with the occasional shower to dampen down the pollen and dust in the air. I find the festival very hard going if it is constantly hot and sunny. 

I also suffer also, but no rain thanks all that does is put the pollen on the floor and then when dry off it goes again, overcast I believe keeps the pollen at a lower level. It is the people thousands of them that help create it. Walk around there when the festival is not on and not bad at all if you are dosed up

2 hours ago, Suprefan said:

30+ Bring it on🙌😎😎😎🙌 personally I’d be in my element. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

30+ Bring it on🙌😎😎😎🙌 personally I’d be in my element. 

Yes, bring it on. Having dealt with all sorts of weather at glasto, sunny and warm definitely trumps gloomy and cool. Plenty water, cider , beer , cool clothing , hat etc etc mitigates the temperature. And the cool of the evening is just lovely.   And since you are in your element, if it gets too hot, then it’s everyone over the fence to your place for a bit of shade and a barbie 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suprefan said:

I absolutely do want 30 degrees and not even a sniff of rain thank you very much

• Like 1

4 hours ago, incident said:

My first Reading in 1999 was scorching hot from start to finish and the dust was insane...I thought every festival was going to be like that thereafter. 😄