Live gigs - Who you've seen were they good, bad etc.

gigpusher

Saw Blink-182 at AO Arena on Sunday. Thought they'd sound terrible but the vibes would make up for it. Very surprised at how good they sounded. I liked the reworked harmonies that are more to suit their live voices than anything, musically they're all top of their game and full of energy (Travis in particular, including shredded knuckles) and lots of showmanship (pyro, fog, lasers, set pieces, solos, humour etc). Excellent show!

On 10/4/2023 at 1:06 AM, cidy said:

On way back from mary wallopers in camden ,17 hr round trip but worth it ,

Pleasure to see young people enjoying a ggod night out embracing irish songs that have been given a new twist

Reminds me of early pogues gigs raw and full of energy

Off to their Sheffield gig next month can't wait.

Their acoustic tent stage was probably one of my top moments at this year's festival, amazing atmosphere 

15 hours ago, BBC7BBCHEAVEN said:

Off to their Sheffield gig next month can't wait.

Their acoustic tent stage was probably one of my top moments at this year's festival, amazing atmosphere 

Them and saw doctors were the most feelgood moments of the festival for me 

New album is excellent .

On 10/16/2023 at 9:06 PM, Pipine said:

Madonna last night at the O2.  Definitely a return to form.. I was apprehensive about how she’d be post ICU / knee operations and given recent performances being decidedly dodgy.. but she put on a stunning show. 
The staging was impressive, costumes great, vocally on form.. there were a few obviously lip synced numbers (justify my love for one) and others with a backing track with her live vocals on top.. but many others she was fully live and sounding great.

Definitely not bounding around the stage like a 20 year old anymore but still doing the choreo for songs like Don’t Tell Me which looked great. 
Set list had lots of hits, more ballads but you’d expect than given she can’t do wall to wall high energy dance routines anymore.  They were some of the highlights though, like Live To Tell and bad girl which were beautifully done.
It wasn’t a perfect show, the narrative and momentum got lost a little in the middle and some of the big hits were just chopped up with other things which made you wish she’d just done the whole song instead…but there were some really great iconic Madonna moments, epic staging and I’d love to see her do an adapted version for the pyramid.  

IMG_8275.jpeg

I went to the show last night and it was surprisingly good. A bit too much 'show' at times rather than bunging in a few more hits but well worth the £40 for the cheap seats at the back 😄 Oh and if the woman who was sat behind us is reading this, ditch the miserable bloke you were with who kept being a knob to people trying to politely pass him, you can do much better 😁

Went to go see The Japanese House at Oxford O2 last night. Loved the first album, not really played the second beyond the singles. But they were fabulous. Amber looked like she was enjoying herself, there were lots of people singing along, the sound was clear (if heavy on drums & synths at expense of guitar), so, I'd call it a success.

Certainly worth the issues that were getting lost in Oxford, having to find a second car park as the closest one to venue was full, problems with paying for a drink in a nearby supermarket and problems with the digital ticket scanners, which I still think are a downgrade on physical tickets.

1 hour ago, Ben7amin_ said:

Saw Dreamwife the other week absolutely 5* they even threw in a cover of Tatu - All the things you said.  Cracking underrated band. Would love to see them back at the farm missed them last time (2019) due to a clash with IDLES

Absolutely agreed, saw them on the Manchester leg of this tour. Third time seeing em and they've smashed it every time. And yeah the Tatu cover was a fun surprise!

Utah Saints and PWEI and the 229 Club in London.

Utah Saints were great, poppies were incredible - the setlist was like a fever-dream for me, great fun and some tunes I've wanted to hear live for 3 decades. Nice venue too, aircon was a godsend and the staff were nice

The Mission at Manc Ritz last night. Not a band that gets talked about much but still going strong, Wayne's vocals have really held up considering the abuse he put them through. So many great songs, terrific crowd, band on top form. Would recommend.

20231026_212313.thumb.jpg.4ae85e03908f27b8e50ffebb491b572f.jpg

VideoCapture_20231027-091506.thumb.jpg.8e7c2eac9b7468549aa6bc6dd835a353.jpg

• Upvote 1

For some beautiful Irish music, saw Lisa O’Neill last night at the Halifax Minster. She was scheduled to play on the Acoustic stage this year, it was cancelled so I’m hoping she‘s on for 2024. 

Her live show has progressed a lot since I last saw her. Some may have heard her from the 2 songs on Peaky Blinders (Blackbird & All the Tired Horses). I though she was enchanting and easily one of the best gigs I’ve been to recently. Several of her upcoming gigs are sold out and she’s playing bigger and bigger venues.

5 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

The Mission at Manc Ritz last night. Not a band that gets talked about much but still going strong, Wayne's vocals have really held up considering the abuse he put them through. So many great songs, terrific crowd, band on top form. Would recommend.

20231026_212313.thumb.jpg.4ae85e03908f27b8e50ffebb491b572f.jpg

VideoCapture_20231027-091506.thumb.jpg.8e7c2eac9b7468549aa6bc6dd835a353.jpg

Haven't seen them since the 1987 (I think) Reading Festival

4 hours ago, GlastoFlow said:

Went to see Bombay Bicycle Club with their mini album release tour in HMV Empire Coventry. What a great venue. They were on top form too.

Brilliant acoustic set in Southampton, getting the crowd to sing the riff in eat sleep wake in Jamie's absense was fun. Signed my vinyl after and I fell apart like a small child, starstruck 😂

30 minutes ago, lemons said:

Brilliant acoustic set in Southampton, getting the crowd to sing the riff in eat sleep wake in Jamie's absense was fun. Signed my vinyl after and I fell apart like a small child, starstruck 😂

Oh wow I’m very jealous, couldn’t get to one of the acoustic shows sadly, stupid work!

Went to watch Australian pink Floyd last night in Bath. Was really impressed, hasdnt seen them before. Touring DSOTM in full at the start for 50th anniversary, then doing about 10/11 other tunes from across other albums to follow. Raised eyebrows when paid about £35 for the ticket almost a year back for a cover band , but it was a big production. Was well worth it though , esp with north of 20 songs in total 

Saw Killer Mike at the Lafayette last night. I’m unsure about his new solo album but it worked great live. He said he’ll be back to do a tour in bigger venues soon, so I guess an appearance at Glasto is possible. No sign of any RTJ tracks, which was probably to be expected.

The first time I’ve been to Lafayette. What a lovely venue! Probably the nicest gig venue I’ve ever been in.

First time seeing Chemical Brothers on Friday in Birmingham. Really good set, think maybe they could have trimmed a couple out of the middle but nice to see a real mix of old and new working well together. Visuals were insane. 
One thing I wondered was what are the 2 brothers actually doing up on stage? It doesn’t seem like anything is actually being done live, especially for how well it syncs to the visuals